Sign in to follow this  
Basher

Thought the Lobby is Meant for INTRODUCTIONS !

I thought that the Lobby is the place you Introduce yourself to the rest of us Tao Bums & tell us a little (or a lot) about your self, your experiences and training, so far.

After the obligatory 5 posts in the Lobby, you may then ask a question or post elsewhere on the Forum.

Over the last couple of Months it seems that more & more newcomers are simply posting questions / views in the Lobby.

Should these be "blocked" / deleted, do away with the Lobby/intro idea completely, as it's not working, or should we have a more laid-back view & carry on, "as is" ?

Basher

Wasn't having a go at you / the Mods & all your hard work re this site.

Just if somebody mentions the MCO or something I have to look in several different places to find the post (if it doesn't show up using the search facility for some reason).

Yes, early on during my time here the only time I would post to a new member was only to welcome the member to the forum.

But over time the required first post included questions that deserved being spoken to. If there were more mods there would be time for one or two of them to keep the Lobby clean by moving any actual discussion that got started there to whatever sub-forum appropriate.

At the present time I wouldn't expect the small number of mods to be willing to do this as it would take a fair amount of time.

Agreed

If only Newcomers to the Site could:

1) Read / understand English

2) Be willing to abide by the suggested "Rules"

3) Not want to overthrow the System

(LOL)

Edited by Basher

i remember when i was almost the only one hanging out in the basement/off topic

and it has since become far more active.

i used to come to the lobby and if it appeared to be a real new bum and not a bot,

and no one else had welcomed them yet, then i would,

there used to be a bum who was very good at welcoming and consistently did so,

and yes, i agree that many fine topics could fizzle out here in the lobby as not too many bums ever look here,

but if the way it is now , is working to control spam with eggs spam with spam and biscuits,

not sure if its such an easy choice to make on how to handle it

Just sayin'. I'm a new member who followed the protocol and have posted 2 introductory messages and got 0 replies. Other new members who have posted questions have gotten numerous replies. Kinda makes me want to post a question...

Just sayin'. I'm a new member who followed the protocol and have posted 2 introductory messages and got 0 replies. Other new members who have posted questions have gotten numerous replies. Kinda makes me want to post a question...

Go ahead. I'll respond to it. Hehehe.

one recent new member just responded to their own introduction 4 times. now they are able to post in the main forums.

photao is a cool handle. i would just do the 5 posts here and then continue on to the main forums.

the lobby is overlooked by most.

welcome to the tao bums.

• Like 1

Thanks Marblehead and zerostao. And that's my 5th post!!!

Yea!!! So anyhow, yes, the Lobby is intended to be where one posts their initial self-intro in order to get "Authorized". It was not intended for Q & A or for any kind of discussion.

Well, you know what they say about rules. And besides, that is where most of the spam is posted to. Just cleaning spam was enough work for the mods. No time to be moving new-comers' post to existing or new threads where the subject matter of a new member could be discussed.

Anyhow, yeah, welcome and may you enjoy your time here.

I feel sorry for you having to live in NY. Hehehe.

Thanks Marblehead. That's OK, I actually like NY!

I was just looking for a reaction, didn't matter what kind it ended up being. I have been to the City a number of times. Never had a bad experience. I love the upstate during the summer. Very beautiful.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this