Sign in to follow this  
norbu

Has anyone experienced involuntary movement during Flying Phoenix?

Back a few pages I was reading a reply Sifu Terry Dunn had given a person who asked about involuntary body motion: "With regards to the involuntary vibratory motion and swaying of the upper body, head and neck areas caused by the seated FP meditations: JUST RELAX AND LET THE ENERGY MOVE YOU NATURALLY. YIELD TO IT FOR IT IS A SMOOTH AND SUBLIME HEALING ENERGY. and the energy will move your body naturally if you relax. The vibratory effects of the FP energy will ALWAYS subside eventually."

I learned a system of chi kung back in the early 70's which essentially had 9 standing postures. When done, if you relaxed deeply enough, the body would begin involuntary motions, not unlike a Tai Chi form. The basic things my sifu told me were: (1) relax and let the chi move your body unimpeded. (2) Don't start thinking etc as this could break the flow. Just do a sort of "zazen" while the body was moving. (3) In any given day, the energy would move your body according to what its needs were on that day, and when the chi was through cleaning you out, the movement would just stop. I never discuss this with people due to so many being negative toward the exercise.

Now I see Sifu Terry Dunn giving similar info to a student on this forum, so I want to ask: Has anyone else learned this system of chi kung...or had a similar experience of body movement?

I later learned a Tibetan system from a girl friend who lived with George Oshawa (founder of the Macrobiotics system) and it is about ten times more powerful but I have rarely shown it to anyone.

In the method I learned in the 70's when we let the energy move the body we called that "No Form" as it wasn't based on a memorized form. When we did a memorized form (Tai Chi for ex)

we called that "Form".

Anyone else learn this system? Or experience this involuntary motion?

Norbu

Edited by norbu

Believe I've read something on this Forum about this system.

(Unhelpful, as I cannot remember its name or who posted it)

Believe there's a Book & website, from an Instructor who does something "remotely" to open you up for further training.

Basher

Back a few pages I was reading a reply Sifu Terry Dunn had given a person who asked about involuntary body motion: "With regards to the involuntary vibratory motion and swaying of the upper body, head and neck areas caused by the seated FP meditations: JUST RELAX AND LET THE ENERGY MOVE YOU NATURALLY. YIELD TO IT FOR IT IS A SMOOTH AND SUBLIME HEALING ENERGY. and the energy will move your body naturally if you relax. The vibratory effects of the FP energy will ALWAYS subside eventually."

I learned a system of chi kung back in the early 70's which essentially had 9 standing postures. When done, if you relaxed deeply enough, the body would begin involuntary motions, not unlike a Tai Chi form. The basic things my sifu told me were: (1) relax and let the chi move your body unimpeded. (2) Don't start thinking etc as this could break the flow. Just do a sort of "zazen" while the body was moving. (3) In any given day, the energy would move your body according to what its needs were on that day, and when the chi was through cleaning you out, the movement would just stop. I never discuss this with people due to so many being negative toward the exercise.

Now I see Sifu Terry Dunn giving similar info to a student on this forum, so I want to ask: Has anyone else learned this system of chi kung...or had a similar experience of body movement?

I later learned a Tibetan system from a girl friend who lived with George Oshawa (founder of the Macrobiotics system) and it is about ten times more powerful but I have rarely shown it to anyone.

In the method I learned in the 70's when we let the energy move the body we called that "No Form" as it wasn't based on a memorized form. When we did a memorized form (Tai Chi for ex)

we called that "Form".

Anyone else learn this system? Or experience this involuntary motion?

Norbu

I don't have experience with that system but have been studying Nei Gung with Master CK Chu for approximately five years. In our practice we hold certain stances for extended periods of time and try to relax and work on alignment and breathing. We hold the "Embracing Horse Stance" for around 20-25 minutes and hold the Pi Pa stance on each side for about 3-5 minutes. I have experienced involuntary movement while holding these stances. Mostly quivering ,shaking in the fingers. Sometimes I'll stomp on the ground a little. It feels involuntary. When I first started a lot of shaking in the legs. I've witnessed others as well have different reactions to the stances.shaking,vibrating, even jumping. When I asked my Sifu about it he told me not to fight it but to let go and not worry about it. It's your chi circulating going where it has to go. I think holding these stances and being relaxed completes the chi circuit and allows your energy to flow freer and stronger causing this sometime reaction.
  • Like 1

I wrote a post on spontaneous qigong and how to "hack it" on my lame blog.

It´s time to take the mystery out of spontaneous movement. Its as magical as burping or yawning, but for the body, they are pretty great...

But don´t get all worked up about it. No one wants to focus their entire training regimen on it. Yawn when tired, burp when you must. Dont force it, and all is fine.

Spontaneous movement is actually happening all the time when we practice, but we supress it . Enhancing it, is the key.

Some forms of it may be facilitated by a teacher, like throwing gasoline on a fire.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the added insights. I need to clarify my origin post, with apologies. I'm new to this website so not sure always what terminology is used by most of you.

The shaking, vibrating etc of arms and legs while doing standing (or sitting) qigong I am familiar with. As most of you said, I just "ride it out" and pay no attention to it.

What I was calling "spontaneous movements" is different I think. My body would almost "float" is very gentle, slow moves, not unlike a very slow Yang TC form. I would "back off" and let the energy move me until it stopped. My teacher at that time was a man from Shansi provence who was a close friend of T.T. Liang. He suggested I just "let go" and let the energy move me.

At times when the motion would stop, my entire body would vibrate in a very fine frequency not unlike a tuning fork. My teacher referred to these moves as "no-form" and when I did a memorized form he called the "form".

At this time in my training I would do standing for an hour to two hours each day. We had nine postures we used.

I was just curious as I haven't met anyone who had this experience over the years, bt thought maybe someone on this site has had these type of movements.

Norbu

These involuntary movements are generally called kriyas. I have experienced them during meditation but also during the practice of certain forms of Qigong. The following video may be of interest as the lady concerned gives her experience of kriyas.

In my practices, time for free flow at the end is a standard. One soon feels if it will come or not.

I do them since some part of me wants to.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this