Sign in to follow this  
AnnieeBubble

Basic Taoist Help?

Hello, this is my first post here so sorry if I.. do it wrong :P It looks like a great website so I cannot wait to delve deeper into all things Taoist!

Anyway, over the past year, among exams, I've been trying to write a book showing the similarities between the world religions. This is in the hope to end these silly conflicts and so people can be at peace and love one another, which is, ironically, what all their sacred texts say in the first place!

It's going to be a fairly short and simple book with lots of colourful illustrations, so that it is accessible to everyone I hope :)

I'm also going to write about the basic beliefs of each religion, to educate people and discard any bad misconceptions.

Although I know a fair bit about the 12 major religions that I have decided to write about, I can obviously be no expert in every single one. Therefore it would be really lovely if you could look over this document and add any comments on anything that I have got wrong/missed out/is too detailed/general silliness.. :P

Also, do you know any good Taoist parables/stories/quotes to promote love/equality/goodness? (Not sure whether the quotes would be subject to copyright if published though...)

I know this is quite a big and selfish ask, so I really don't expect anyone to look at it. Still, you never know 'til you ask! so... well see :)

Thank you in advance wonderful people! :D

• Like 2

The task you have placed before yourself is huge.

Views on tao vary considerably, for instance , there is something of a

Three way conceptual divide between philosophical, shamanistic and neo-daoist views.

The attempt at making comparisons..would probably satisfy folks just looking for some kind of basic ideas on the subject. At the same time, one would have to obscure the important nuances, which constitute the individual 'schools' ,,and biases your audience towards thinking 'its all the same'

I won't venture to speak for everyone else's potential agreement or disputation with the assessments you have made. You can dig at all the subjects individually.

But I would say that to really understand where folks are coming from requires serious investment.

Especially when it comes to taoism which is both integrated with and hugely different and highly disputed in many respects. Right down to whether there are immortals or if there even was a Lao tzu!

Its just a unique creature altogether.

IMO

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Wow thank you very much @Stosh and @Gerard for the information !

Well the book is going to be fairly basic, for children and adults alike, to educate them a little and rid any huge misconceptions too, (like all witches worship Satan for example, which is ludicrous!) But very good point, so I'll make sure to really emphasise how basic an outline that this is, and that they should research much further into any religions that interest them.

Really grateful for the help :)

• Like 1

Hello,

I can see you focus mainly on religious taoism.

While it is true that Confucianism and Taoism are interrelated in Taoist religion, they are frequently in opposition in philosophical Taoism. In some Zhuang Zi's tales, Confucius is depicted as a naive and stubborn person.

About De (Te as you wrote it): it is the effectiveness of the Dao (Tao). "Daode" means virtue in the common modern Chinese language, however, taoists see it differently.

You miss a lot of sacred texts! There is the Taoist Canoin (Dao zang) which is full of taoist "sutras".

You should make a distinction between "immortals" and "Gods". The main difference is that immortals used to be men, and they achieved a divine state through inner alchemy. Gods never were men.

I don't see anything about inner alchemy, BTW.

Among the eight immortals, don't forget Lü Dongbing! He's one of the most important ones!

Hope this helps, good luck.

Hello,

I can see you focus mainly on religious taoism.

While it is true that Confucianism and Taoism are interrelated in Taoist religion, they are frequently in opposition in philosophical Taoism. In some Zhuang Zi's tales, Confucius is depicted as a naive and stubborn person.

About De (Te as you wrote it): it is the effectiveness of the Dao (Tao). "Daode" means virtue in the common modern Chinese language, however, taoists see it differently.

You miss a lot of sacred texts! There is the Taoist Canoin (Dao zang) which is full of taoist "sutras".

You should make a distinction between "immortals" and "Gods". The main difference is that immortals used to be men, and they achieved a divine state through inner alchemy. Gods never were men.

I don't see anything about inner alchemy, BTW.

Among the eight immortals, don't forget Lü Dongbing! He's one of the most important ones!

Hope this helps, good luck.

Thank you for the information! So Confucianism is more to do with society and how it is run? Thanks, I'll add some stuff about Inner Alchemy and the immortals - thanks :)

Hahaha yes you guys are probably right :P Although it may not look like it, I've spent quite a while on this so I might as well see it through to the end... :)

So Confucianism is more to do with society and how it is run?

Yes, but Taoism has also its own views on how a society should be.

Hello!

Ok, I have read a bit more on Taoism, so feel that I have explained some of the general Taoist concepts quite a bit better...

Not sure if I've added too many of my own ideas or if I've gone too much into philosophical Taoism though?

Thanks!

Hey,

I think that everyone has a slightly different interpretation of Taoism, and what it means to them to be a Taoist, and how to properly follow. Also Taoism began as a philosophy and later religious sects developed, so it'll probably be very hard just to purely look at the religious side, without the philosophical side, so I wouldn't be too worried about that if I were you :)

@Stosh @Gerard @baiqi @cat @Tsunami_MAPUA @nijjhar @lizjill Hello again I'd just like to say thank you for all your help! With it, I've finally been able to finish my book!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Religiopolitan-Religion-Its-Many-Flavours-ebook/dp/B00LMJFE1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404944388&sr=8-1&keywords=religiopolitan

(If you don't have a kindle, there are apple/android/google play/PC/windows store apps if you want to read it!)

I hope that I have managed to do Taoism the justice it deserves :)

Thanks again x

Hello, this is my first post here so sorry if I.. do it wrong :P It looks like a great website so I cannot wait to delve deeper into all things Taoist!

Anyway, over the past year, among exams, I've been trying to write a book showing the similarities between the world religions. This is in the hope to end these silly conflicts and so people can be at peace and love one another, which is, ironically, what all their sacred texts say in the first place!

It's going to be a fairly short and simple book with lots of colourful illustrations, so that it is accessible to everyone I hope :)

I'm also going to write about the basic beliefs of each religion, to educate people and discard any bad misconceptions.

Although I know a fair bit about the 12 major religions that I have decided to write about, I can obviously be no expert in every single one. Therefore it would be really lovely if you could look over https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=4500CD6438AACD03!660&authkey=!AIExNBGh3HYHc8g]this document[/url] and add any comments on anything that I have got wrong/missed out/is too detailed/general silliness.. :P

Also, do you know any good Taoist parables/stories/quotes to promote love/equality/goodness? (Not sure whether the quotes would be subject to copyright if published though...)

I know this is quite a big and selfish ask, so I really don't expect anyone to look at it. Still, you never know 'til you ask! so... well see :)

Thank you in advance wonderful people! :D

That's a worthy project you have there AnnieeBubble and an interesting draft you linked to.

All good wishes to you for every success as you progress towards completion.

If you are aiming for KISS ( Keeping It Short n SIMPLE) then maybe stick to bullet points and key theories/ beliefs and avoid the digressions such as that Tony the Trainspotter story.

Those stories might make another and slightly different book than a 'basics of world religions' guide.

You'll have looked no doubt at what's out there already. Theosophy ( for one example) ploughs a similar furrow to your stated aims....

See here and related links.....

http://blavatskytheosophy.com/unity-of-the-worlds-religions/

Hope that helps.

:)

Just found the Kindle version.

77p on Amazon UK so it's cheap enough to sell well.

Well done you for finishing the book and then publishing it with all best wishes for mega sales.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Hi AnnieeBubble:

At the risk of sounding like a.... think of a list of colourful adjectives and then your best put down...

here I go....

It has been done... actually its been done a lot. There is a entire field of academia devoted to the study of world religions. It's called "Religious Studies" and what you have described in your opening post is a paraphrased introductory RLST's text book.

You should really read some of these texts, and others.

You should also read the works of Dr. J.Z. Smith PHD (Especially "Imagining Religion" &"Relation Religion")

Also look at authors such as Dr.; Russell T. McCutcheon PHD, Dr. William Arnal Phd, Dr. Bruce Lincoln PHD, Dr. Julia Chang PHD, Dr. Willie Braun PHD, Dr, Darlene Juschka PHD, Glen Kanigan-Fairen MA, ABD (the last time I spoke with him)... to name only a few.

Best of luck.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, but if you do, do it with open eyes.

Sorry "Relation Religion" should be "Relating Religion"

Tired eyes and spell check.

ta

The book's out Dave it's on Kindle already.

Pretty good too.

I could see it being useful in late-primary/ early secondary schools ( upper elementary in USA).

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this