Sign in to follow this  
Kongming

Translated Texts

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me or point me to a list of which original Taoist material has been translated as I plan on expanding my Taoist library if possible. As of now I own some of the obvious ones such as the Tao Te Ching, Chuang-Tzu, Wen-Tzu, Lieh-Tzu, and Secret of the Golden Flower. I also have "Jade Writing: Yellow Court Classic."

With that said, are there any more important texts out there which are translated? Particularly interested in any of a philosophical, alchemic, or meditation focus in a similar vein to those listed previously. Wikipedia says that the Daozang consists of over 1400 texts so I imagine there has to be more material out there.

Also a sub-question instead of creating an entire thread: How reliable/accurate/respected is the Jonathan Star translation of the TTC?

Thanks in advance for any information!

I'm rather fond of Fabrizio Pregadio's translation work. His focus is mainly on important texts of alchemy. You could check out his website www.goldenelixir.com.

Thomas Cleary has also translated a number of texts, what he lacks in accuracy he makes up for in quantity.

Enjoy your reading.

PS if you like the early stuff the Neiye is also worth looking at. Although perhaps not historically important (it was lost for a couple millennia) it is a fun read. You could check out Harold Roth's translation.

don't miss the Nei Ye.

best to find translators and then find their translations. Cleary, Predagio, and Komjathy seem to be the busiest.

For Dao De Jing, the Star translation is very good. I would say Lin Yutang is the most accurate. You might enjoy some of my translation commentaries in the Personal Practice Section.

best to find translators and then find their translations.

Best is to find a teacher that can explain what the books are saying and how to do it.

But they do look good on the shelf.

I think I have 6-7 versions of the Daodejing myself...

Best is to find a teacher that can explain what the books are saying and how to do it. But they do look good on the shelf. I think I have 6-7 versions of the Daodejing myself...

Yeah, cause those authors weren't good teachers right? ppshhh..

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me or point me to a list of which original Taoist material has been translated as I plan on expanding my Taoist library if possible. As of now I own some of the obvious ones such as the Tao Te Ching, Chuang-Tzu, Wen-Tzu, Lieh-Tzu, and Secret of the Golden Flower. I also have "Jade Writing: Yellow Court Classic."

With that said, are there any more important texts out there which are translated? Particularly interested in any of a philosophical, alchemic, or meditation focus in a similar vein to those listed previously. Wikipedia says that the Daozang consists of over 1400 texts so I imagine there has to be more material out there.

Also a sub-question instead of creating an entire thread: How reliable/accurate/respected is the Jonathan Star translation of the TTC?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Have a look at

http://www.taoistresource.net/doe_idx.htm

You find there translations and original texts of Daozang...

Edited by Riyue
  • Like 2

Yeah, cause those authors weren't good teachers right? ppshhh..

Or because they used metaphorical language to conceal the actual practice?

Or because they used metaphorical language to conceal the actual practice?

Not all of them.. and many of the ones that do will use terms that have been defined in other text, or will not seem too strange following various meditative experiences. Keep in mind that much of that sort of explanation is simply describing the natural processes that occur when keeping the basics together during meditation. These basics are explained quite clearly in many many texts, which if followed will lead one past various sign posts.. if the basics are not followed the car breaks down and you only get so far, but you can learn how to at least build this vehicle by seeing the commonalities that these texts begin with.

A good teacher is certainly a major benefit and at certain levels entirely necessary, but if you haven't left for the mountains yet, these writings are still immensely beneficial to help you get started.

All the best in your practice....

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Than your library have other classics than mine. Mine can be interpreted on multiple level (sexual, organ qi, primordial), while not actually being precise about how to do it, or use a language in which I can mirror my meditative experience but that is retrospective confirmation, not guidance.

For balanced practice, both are needed?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I read Neiye which I enjoyed greatly and am onto reading some of those linked in the thread. Also I am not sure how useful this text is compared to others since it is hagiographical, but I found this book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1794293.To_Live_as_Long_as_Heaven_and_Earth

Here is a PDF link for anyone interested: http://bookos.org/book/1140347/60d161

• Like 2

Any useful link to material in pdf?

Here's a link I like regarding Nei Yeh. I also like Roth's translation.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this