Yoda

What's the best single vitamin/mineral?

Mrs Yoda would say vitamin C. The People's Pharmacy people say vitamin D. Yoda here used to say Magnesium, but I'm all caught up now. Sometimes I take Bs for relaxation. Any favs?

Mrs Yoda would say vitamin C. The People's Pharmacy people say vitamin D. Yoda here used to say Magnesium, but I'm all caught up now. Sometimes I take Bs for relaxation. Any favs?

Forget about single...

I'm a big vitamin taker but lately I've been moving away from them. I just find it hard to believe that isolating one vitamin and pumping it up to a degree that we'd never encounter in nature is particularly good for you.

Also, I wonder when I take multivits and my pee turns bright orange what's going on. I mean I know I'm pissing out 90% of what I just took in, but I wonder what all that expelling is doing to my kidneys, liver, etc. I also notice sometimes when I take big multis that I get fatigued, and I wonder if my body is somehow reacting to what's in them.

So more an more I'm moving to a low level multi -- like centrum or something that just provides the bare minimum RDAs, and experimenting with herbs now and then (no great revelations).

I will say that I eat pretty healthy and varied, with lots of veggies and organics. I might feel different if I was surviving on the typical american diet.

Girls & guys,

this is some kind of a final statement on that topic and I have taken many things in the past.

A lot of the vitamin formulas out there are synthetic stuff; further they are combinations ripped of the often necessary secondary content you find in natural stuff. Throw away vitamin formulas and get some nice herbs. In order not to spam you: you can PM me. I have now decided to go for some "wild" Amazon herbs and have my own shop set up...

but there are a lot of good chinese herbal combinations out there to use. Just have a look at what the Ni family has out. They even produce a rice-ginseng mix said to be good for diabetics... and they offer a 5 element line of herbs...

often vitamin formulas look cheap compared to the herbal stuff, but if one calculates everything they are pretty expensive in many many ways...

Here is a drink I am now taking:

have a mixer available:

3 raw eggs

raw organic coconut butter (nice fats, 8 essential aminos etc.)

raw milk butter if you like or instead of the raw coconut

amazonherbs

maybe some banane or avocado or whatever... throw in some algae if you like and voila:

proper fat

proper protein

a lot of minerals and vitamins in their natural state, in natural combination etc. etc. etc.

we can argue if it is natural to at the same time eat egg white and egg yolk, but I leave that for others to decide. As it is it is said that "Biotin" in the egg yolk gets bound to a substance in the egg white and thereby maybe depleted from your body in the long run. You can easily replace that either through forgetting about the white for some time (or taking it at separate times, as so far I have not heard that it bounds Biotin that is already prsent in the bidy...)... or you might, in this one case, get some Biotin from the store...- don't think that is necessary though...

and do yourself a favor and forget the counting of RDA!!!

with smiles

Harry

I agree on the vitamin C if we had to pick a single most important supplement. Next would be fish oil/omega3. After that, make sure to eat lots of vegetables and fruits to get all the substances such as flavonoids etc that science hasn't singled out yet.

That's my current take. Herbs are ok but only for temporary correcting of imbalances, i think they all pretty much have side effects.

T

I agree on the vitamin C if we had to pick a single most important supplement. Next would be fish oil/omega3. After that, make sure to eat lots of vegetables and fruits to get all the substances such as flavonoids etc that science hasn't singled out yet.

That's my current take. Herbs are ok but only for temporary correcting of imbalances, i think they all pretty much have side effects.

T

Ron Teegaurden - of Dragonherbs makes this distinction between superior and inferior herbs.

Inferior herbs are used to correct imbalances specifically related to disease states ongoing at the time. In other words you take them after you get sick to bring yourself back to general health.

Superior herbs are taken to support all systems and create radiant health beyond risk. Which means these are substances which support you and can be taken at all times. They are the treasures of the biological world. Substances like Reishi, Siberian Ginseng, Ginseng, He shou wu, Schisandra etc etc, I believe he lists 50 of the top herbs in his book.

This is not his unique view but rather a traditional way of approaching chinese (and global) herbology. Therefore I would say your statement does apply well to inferior herbs, but not to the superior tonic herbs.

My full response to this thread is not ready yet, insufficient time to give it the attention it deserves.

Craig

Herbs are ok but only for temporary correcting of imbalances, i think they all pretty much have side effects.

T

Little correction here... there are herbs out there called "superior food" !!!

Vit C: well. Most of it one truly pees out...

:D

Harry

Little correction here... there are herbs out there called "superior food" !!!

Vit C: well. Most of it one truly pees out...

:D

Harry

Herbs also known as "forgotten foods" but the two type of herbs are superior and inferior.

That's interesting because most of the so-called superior herbs I've been told by Chinese herbalists are not supposed to be used over a long period of time, and not at all for certain age groups and climates.

That's why most of the herbs are called "medicinal" herbs- it is medicine and should be taken as such.

As for a supplement, i would say B-17 (amygdalin, laetrile)

A few words from one of the super-western-herbalists out there (Ron Teeguarden):

>>Although everybody is different, there are certain herbs and combinations of herbs(formulations) that almost anyone can take, no matter what their gender, age or health status. These are the Chinese 'superior herbs,' of which there are but a handful.<<

>>Among the great 'tools' discovered by humankind to aid in the attainment of radiant health are the Chinese tonic herbs, also called the 'Superior Herbs' in Asia. The tonic herbs are the elite herbs of the Chinese herbal system, the most fully developed herbal system in the world. The Chinese tonic herbs have always held a very special place in Asian culture. These very special natural substances have been associated with the highest qualities of living, and thus are associated with the ideals of long life, slow aging, glowing health, happiness, wisdom, physical vitality, adaptability, sexual vigor and response, mental acuity and clear intuition, love and compassion, and harmonious relations with nature and with one's fellow human beings. By achieving these goals, one can be said to have attained true 'radiant health.'<<

Sure this doesn't say that there aren't suprior herbs outside of Chinese culture...

with smiles

Harry

I'd be curious to hear from someone in China whether all those herbs are really called "super herbs" there and recommended for daily use for everyone.

I'd be curious to hear from someone in China whether all those herbs are really called "super herbs" there and recommended for daily use for everyone.

I shop at Asian markets all the time, and talk to people all the time. The short answer is, whoever knows, knows, and whoever doesn't, doesn't... but you can find pretty much everything you read about in the Materia Medica of TCM in pretty much every good Chinese herbal shop, and at least half that, in every good grocery shop in Chinatown. Guys, if anyone lives in NYC and has never been to Kamwo Tea And Herb Company on Grand street... please go, see what Chinese medicine IS! See how alive and well it is, and how stunning, and how wonderful it smells! :)

When I buy herbs, minerals and animals at a Chinese place I usually try to say at least something in my limited Chinese so as to let people know that I'm truly interested in "their thing," and then I get all kinds of interesting input. A woman about my age sees me grab some Dong Quai roots and goes, No, you don't need this! Why not? You're not old enough to take this, she says. My mother takes it, my grandmother takes this, they put it in a stew... but not for me, I'm not old enough to take it! You never hear this kind of "folk expertise" from certified and licensed non-members of the tradition. I do the same thing at Indian groceries. Zero in on someone in the know and pick their minds. I used to go to an Indian place whose owner was a wealth of Ayurvedic wisdom, none of which I've ever read in any Ayurvedic books -- strictly folk stuff, experiential, oral and empirical tradition. Once he knew I was interested he made a habit of lecturing me at length, pointing out all the stuff on his shelves and explaining what to combine with what and how towards what effect. I gladly endured his horrible English for the many pearls of true nutritional competence shining among his impossible grammatical monsters. I cured a friend of diabetes with one of his recipes (guess what -- one of the ingredients in his healing combo was -- gasp -- sugar! But not the supermarket sugar... a dried lump of cane juice, sticky, messy, full of trace minerals, and not even remotely reminiscent even of the "raw cane sugar" they sell at "health food stores..." ...but I digress.)

Yoda,

to your original question. The single most important vitamin is B-17. That's because it's the least available one in modern diets (unlike C et al) and it happens to prevent cancer, or rather, according to some researchers, its deficiency tends to promote cancer in the same manner vitamin C deficiency promotes scurvy.

Edited by Taomeow

For me, the single best foods I've tried have been

1. fish eggs. You have to try several kinds to find YOUR best.

2. Raw shrimp, particularly with their brains.

3. raw coconut oil.

4. Ormus preparations, including seawater precipitate, some kinds of trap water, and sodium burn m-3.

I prefer certain foods that keep me feeling good:

1. Fresh young carrots

2. Crushed Linseed

3. Fresh grapes (green with seeds)

4. Fresh mango.

i also take another herbal powder formula i make up before/after training in ANY qigong, the herbs in that formula can be taken over a long period of time as well as its for regulating the qi flow in the body, consolidates the wei qi level, and regulates the qi flow up and down the channels etc.

That's cool, do you care to divulge the formula?

On a sort of related note, and we probably touch on this topic every few months or so, have you found any herbs that will directly replenish the jing lost through sexual activity or stress at work?

Thanks..

T

That's cool, do you care to divulge the formula?

On a sort of related note, and we probably touch on this topic every few months or so, have you found any herbs that will directly replenish the jing lost through sexual activity or stress at work?

Thanks..

T

here is one basic formula. i have modified mine to fit me but this is one.

chen xiang

jiang xiang

ju hong

stir fried zhi qiao

dang gui

hong hua

tao ren

grind into powder. after practice take 1-3 grams. this one regulates and extends the qi and blood function of the whole body.

there are also wines that are made with some herbs and you take between 15/30 ml (which isnt much) before/after training. or even pills although they take time to make as you have to roll them all out.

i like taking one before and one after but mainly the one after practice to stop the qi from getting stuck in certain areas. seems that alot of people who practice have problems with qi getting stuck in places where it shouldnt be and causing problems, some serious, since most practice wrong unless under guidance.

as far as jing goes, i am sure you know it is more difficult to replenish. easiest method is to watch the diet, sexual activity, rest, do tai qi or qigong and breathing techniques then supplement with herbs based on your pre heaven constitution. easy huh? thats why i take a longevity wine. but only in 10cc or 20 cc a day, very small doses otherwise it will have adverse effect. too much of a good thing isnt good!

there are patent medicines or tablets to take but they are commerical versions and its best to know what is going on with each individual then tailor the formula accordingly. although without a very extensive knowledge of herbs you may get adulterants or different varieties or herbs that havent been processed right, so you have got to get them from a trusted source that prepares them right to begin with.

Edited by yuanqi

To ask what's the best single nutrient is a bit like asking what's the best part of your body :). Some are more vital than others, but they work together. We have to look at the functional relationships instead of looking at biochemistry as a conglomeration of substances to manipulate individually.

The questions should be:

1. What does the particular person actually need, at this particular time?

2. How best to provide it - fractionated nutrients aren't the same as when nutrients are in a living matrix, and giving one nutrient in isolation will inevitably cause an imbalance.

3. Is it an actual quantitative deficiency, or is it a functional deficiency, where there's enough of the nutrient but it's not being utilized properly?

If it's a functional deficiency, you don't want to just keep pushing more of the nutrient in, but look at what's blocking it from being used, and correct that.

The best vitamin is vitamin LOVE....Luminous 0mnipotent Vibrational Energy...think about it, with a little Love Waves you could initiate a solitonic phase-conjugate brain-heart-enteric lovegasm that would heal the mutation in you L-gulonolactone oxidase pseudogene, restoring the function with time-reverse tunneling revolution...until you never had to spend another dime on ester-C or even eat an orange.

Edited by Xienkula1

Best single vitamin mineral, thats a tricky one the search continues... vitamin c is good but i really try and avoid any synthetic vitamins so i always go for rosehip powder which hasnt been heat treated for vitamin c, vitamin c is generally quite cooling in nature so you have to watch taking large dosages if you have weak digestion it tends to have a downward purging action which is why some people take high doses for constipation, i think minerals are important because our soils are so deficient, even organically grown veggies can be very mineral deficient, so i always take a little organic rockdust that they produce in here in australia which is where i live it has the complete mineral make up, its actually marketed as a fertiliser cause plants love it, so i get a little rock dust and put it into some a lacto grain fermented delicious liquid that they produce here as well and im good 2 go.

I definately feel that you can only assimilate what you can digest so alot of people are pissing in the wind with all their supplementation, this is the beauty of TCM herbal medicine proper diagnosis = proper individually designed herbal formulas with the idea to bring the body into balance TCM isnt big on supplementation the idea is to maximise the bodys potential to derive the most out of what you puts in.

I definately beleive in proper eating organic where possible and lots of qi gong, but i would have to say my top mineral/vitamin would be a battle between minerals-colloidal or rockdust, vegetable based digestive enzymes, a good B complex chelated, good fermented products, and greenfood and for general wow factor you cant beat a good old niacin flush, all of this is subject to how flush the money situation is personally i am trying to save money this year of the rat so supplemnts are out, lots of qi gong is in. I do fall prey from time to time to the newest magic bullet usually on the internet try not to waste your money on junk which is what alot of stuff seems to be, i have also found that simple muscle testing aka kinesiology can be helpful 2 determin whats good 4 you.

cheers james