Sign in to follow this  
Ron Goninan

Your Views Please

Great to be able to put a face/person to the name!

I have had once friend in the martial arts say that my Centreline is unprotected in the SanZhan form.

Your thoughts on this???

I have a friend in the UK who comes from a Karate to Kungfu background and this is what he had to say about the form:

<<<"Your centre line is too exposed in your Sanzhan form. Watch your elbows, your feet, you breathing. The closing footwork is wrong.

Mate can I ask you to please be honest and based upon that of your own experience Gongfu Experience what do you honestly think about this comment???

Edited by Ron Goninan

Its all cool!

What style did you do?

In highschool Shotokan Karate which I enjoyed not so much for its effectiveness, but it had a hard purity and philosophy behind it. In College there was a Taekwondo dojo close so I did that, but found it too commercial and lacking meaning. Outside college I found Ki-Aikido. I enjoyed the philosophy; it had meditation and healing components. There was serious time spent on on breathing, sitting, awareness plus bokken and short staff routines. I stayed with it for 13 years getting to Ni-dan before I felt it was taking too much of my time especially with child #3 on the way.

Aikido may not be for everyone, certainly there are faster martial techniques, but it offered a well rounded package that was just right for me at the time.

Yours

Michael

Edited by thelerner

I<<<"Your centre line is too exposed in your Sanzhan form. Watch your elbows, your feet, you breathing. The closing footwork is wrong.

Mate can I ask you to please be honest and based upon that of your own experience Gongfu Experience what do you honestly think about this comment???

It seems to me it is a very vague statement regarding to exposing the center line of the body. I can see other parts of the body could be exposed but I cannot make such statement about the center line. The feet are at the lowest position; and the elbows are at the outermost position of the body. Especially, there is one thing is very uncertain which is how can the breathing be observed to make such judgement.

Aikido may not be for everyone, certainly there are faster martial techniques,......

To the best of my knowledge, Aikido(合氣道), is the Japanese version of Chi Kung(氣功). I don't see why it may not be for everybody. btw Both methods are emphasized in breathing.

Edited by ChiDragon

ChiDragon,

Thank you for your views.

White Cranes within nature are just that ….. Within Nature! Natural, living, breathing embodiments of the inherent principle, concepts and natural action that White Crane Gongfu was originally based upon by Founder Fang Qiniang!

So why should I (or anyone else) deviate from these original principles found in nature!

A good friend of mine who learns from a White Crane teacher in Taiwan said:

<<<"What your friend is saying has to do with the elbows needed to be closer to the centre,My white crane teacher said holding the elbows in like that isn't natural and creates too much tension. My teacher is all about being natural. You have to make a choice and what I found was that I couldn't practice both the hard way and my teacher's way as our elbows are out more natural. So I chose to just practice my teacher's way”>>>

Relax your upper body-float, don't force the movements. Drop your awareness to your center and you won't loose your balance so much.

Edited by SEEKER OF TRUTH
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this