Hello to All Taoists and Taoist Friends ~

I'm presently looking into the art of divination dowsing, and was wondering if there's a Taoist tradition of

dowsing to divine things. Any related info would be appreciated. Thanks! ~ Yen Hui

Feng Shui should probably be used for earth healing at this point. Pendulum divination seems a bit of a downgrade from the probabilities presented by the I Ching; although all of these answers are actually inside and the tool is just an amplifier.

Sei Gung taught me to use the pendulum as a feedback took for alignment in wuji. It has saved a lot of time issuing "corrections"; letting the practitioner see their alignment for themselves. Folks underestimate the healing power of proper wuji. Using the pendulum to answer the question of wuji has proved endlessly beneficial.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

Feng Shui should probably be used for earth healing at this point. Pendulum divination seems a bit of a

downgrade from the probabilities presented by the I Ching; although all of these answers are actually inside

and the tool is just an amplifier.

Sei Gung taught me to use the pendulum as a feedback took for alignment in wuji. It has saved a lot of time

issuing "corrections"; letting the practitioner see their alignment for themselves. Folks underestimate the

healing power of proper wuji. Using the pendulum to answer the question of wuji has proved endlessly

beneficial.

Thanks for the helpful clarification. Everything you say is agreeable with me, except that I tend to think the art

of dowsing is, perhaps, a little more extensive than you seem to imply. To be honest, I did'nt know much

about the subject until a few months ago, when I heard an online interview with a dude named Raymon

Grace. He has a website, as well. Since then, I have tended to see how the art of dowsing, according to the

Raymon Grace example and application, is entirely compatible with the Taoist arts of divination and energy

management. Raymon Grace Interview: @ http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2007/01/15.html

Your comment on using the pendulum to guide one's Tai Chi training was very interesting to me. My first kung-

fu teacher was the one who introduced me to the I Ching. He told me he practiced the art of I Ching divination

throughout his entire training, as a means of guiding his daily practice and assessing his progress toward self-

mastery, and the complete realization of the Fist-Art. It took me many years, though, to reach the point where

I could really, really emotionally accept what he was trying to teach me. ~ fraternally ~ Yen Hui

Per request by another member:

This exercise has helped so much that it's really best to share it.

This exercise will require:

1. A partner.

2. A pendulum. IE anything small and heavy.

3. A string about the length from shoulder to floor.

Prep: Tie the weight onto the string.

Pendulim Alignment:

Open wuji stance. All the normal 'alignments' apply, feet parallel, knees relaxed, sacrum tucked slightly, spinal colum elongated, shoulders rounded but not slumped, crown lifts to sky. Breath In, Relax, Breath Out, Align. The weight is 50/50 and in the center of each foot.

Once you've "settled" into wuji prompt your partner to hang the pendulum directly off the tip of your shoulder. The "top corner" of your shoulder. The pendulum should line up directly with the center of your heel.

Adjustments/Alignment:

Once you get feedback on where you are (center, forward or aft of the heel center, etc) adjust your posture both vertically and horizontally. These will be very small adjustments usually to move the pendulum 1" or less.

Spectrum

YCT

Edited by Spectrum

Thanks for the helpful clarification. Everything you say is agreeable with me, except that I tend to think the art

of dowsing is, perhaps, a little more extensive than you seem to imply.

Oh don't get me wrong in my opinion it's VERY extensive. I think a skilled diviner can divine from ANYTHING. Falling leaves pivot freely. Yarrow Sticks, Tea Leaves, Bam Bam & Pebbles, Criss Crossed Pick Up Sticks, Lincoln Logs, Pendulums, Water and Ley Lines, and don't forget Crop Circles.

I think divination is not so much about accessing "knowledge" as it is getting your own interpretations out of the way. Particulally in dealing w/ earth energies divining takes on important meaning because the diviner and the divined are no longer so seperated, it's a direct communication, no sticks, no leaves, no pendulums. The body is the Divine.

On my first training trip to visit my Sei Gung we took a long stroll, a walk, a talk and simply observe in a rain forest. We would stop every so often at a spot that seemed just right, these magical moments of finding those "perfect spots" where something more was obvious, observation of the obvious was more something where spots perfect.

Concergences merge on the emerging surface. These are valuable memories of wuji for me. True art is invaluable.

I have tended to see how the art of dowsing, according to the

Raymon Grace example and application, is entirely compatible with the Taoist arts of divination and energy

management.

As I said, we should probabaly be using this type of application for healing; <note for additional thoughts here>

Your comment on using the pendulum to guide one's Tai Chi training was very interesting to me. My first kung-

fu teacher was the one who introduced me to the I Ching. He told me he practiced the art of I Ching divination

throughout his entire training, as a means of guiding his daily practice and assessing his progress toward self-

mastery, and the complete realization of the Fist-Art. It took me many years, though, to reach the point where

I could really, really emotionally accept what he was trying to teach me. ~ fraternally ~ Yen Hui

I was taught the Yarrow Stick method by the same fellow seeker who taught me the flute.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

Pendulim Alignment:

Open wuji stance. All the normal 'alignments' apply, feet parallel, knees relaxed, sacrum tucked slightly, spinal colum elongated, shoulders rounded but not slumped, crown lifts to sky. Breath In, Relax, Breath Out, Align. The weight is 50/50 and in the center of each foot.

Once you've "settled" into wuji prompt your partner to hang the pendulum directly off the tip of your shoulder. The "top corner" of your shoulder. The pendulum should line up directly with the center of your heel.

Adjustments/Alignment:

Once you get feedback on where you are (center, forward or aft of the heel center, etc) adjust your posture both vertically and horizontally. These will be very small adjustments usually to move the pendulum 1" or less.

What you are using is a plumb line. - A cord with a weight attached to one end used to determine perpendicularity, to determine the vertical from a given point.

A pendulum is a body suspended from a fixed point so as to move to and fro by the action of gravity.

In this case you are adjusting your body the plumb line doesn't move.

One can also suspend a plumbline from the ceiling and practice squatting keeping your nose a lined with the cord. Make sure your knees go back as in sitting and not forward.

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Plumb Line is right. I forgot it was called that.

One can also suspend a plumbline from the ceiling and practice squatting keeping your nose a lined with the cord.

How will this adjust your posture? Or am I misunderstanding the use of a plumb line like this?

Edited by Spectrum

Plumb Line is right. I forgot it was called that.

How will this adjust your posture? Or am I misunderstanding the use of a plumb line like this?

Keeping your nose aligned you bend at the qua - your back as vertical as possible.

It would be similiar to squatting in front of a wall.

This will help with proper alignment.

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Keeping your nose aligned you bend at the qua - your back as vertical as possible.

It would be similiar to squatting in front of a wall.

This will help with proper alignment.

I will compare this to the method I learned (described above) and get back to you. By referencing off your own shoulder you keep the loop closed. I'll have to FEEL how this one works...

On a related note concerning dowsing : how many taobums have pursued their standing meditation or other chi gungs in this context? ie topographical feng shui? ie find that perfect meditation spot yet? In your house? In your yard? In your neighborhood? Spirals expand and contract....

It's funny, on a really basic level the perfect spot could simply be behind a tree which obscures your presence from the main path; which offers solitude or a unique elemental perspective. On another day it might be found after overcoming some obsticle/s, or a convergence of elemental clarity. I think finding the perfect spot to practice is very much related to an intuitive dowsing that is cultivated w/ continued practice and observation of the natural water course Way.

Spectrum

On a related note concerning dowsing : how many taobums have pursued their standing meditation or other

chi gungs in this context? ie topographical feng shui? ie find that perfect meditation spot yet? In your house? In

your yard? In your neighborhood? Spirals expand and contract....

It's funny, on a really basic level the perfect spot could simply be behind a tree which obscures your presence

from the main path; which offers solitude or a unique elemental perspective. On another day it might be found

after overcoming some obsticle/s, or a convergence of elemental clarity. I think finding the perfect spot to

practice is very much related to an intuitive dowsing that is cultivated w/ continued practice and observation of

the natural water course Way.

Those are some great applications, Spectrum. Thanks! I have'nt tried them yet, but will soon. I'm actually just

starting to take a real in-depth look into dowsing, while working on the basic techniques. I am very focused on

the wholistic healing applications. At any rate, I just came upon an interesting video clip of someone I've never

heard about before, until now. Take a look, when you have a few minutes, and tell me how you think it's done:

Derren Brown's Kung Fu Punch @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdJf-rTVFo

Enjoy ! Yen

Hello to All Taoists and Taoist Friends ~

I'm presently looking into the art of divination dowsing, and was wondering if there's a Taoist tradition of

dowsing to divine things. Any related info would be appreciated. Thanks! ~ Yen Hui

Hi Yen Hui,

According to the book "Pendulum Power" dowsing was known pretty much everywhere in ancient times, including China. The Pendulum vs. Rods seems to be a more recent tool.

I just found a nice hematite pendulum to work with. I wasn't satisfied with the wooden one I had been using before. I am also re-reading the above mentioned book. It is quite comprehensive and has a bibliography of almost 4 pages so if you are looking for more info it might be useful to you.

Regards,

Matt

Also check this site out for the American Society of Dowsers. You can see if there is a local chapter nearby. If anyone is in the VT area this summer, check out the convention programs. There is an inner alchemy workshop as well as a lot of other interesting stuff...

http://www.dowsers.org/index.html

Regards,

Matt

I just found a nice hematite pendulum to work with. I wasn't satisfied with the wooden one I had been using before.

I was taught the best pendulum is wood painted black hung from string.

All the various stones, metals etc cause interference - have their own vibrations.

On a related note concerning dowsing : how many taobums have pursued their standing meditation or other chi gungs in this context? ie topographical feng shui? ie find that perfect meditation spot yet? In your house? In your yard? In your neighborhood? Spirals expand and contract....

I use the form/compass feng shui. Assessing a landscape, a building, or a room for all its energies instantly and precisely (down to the "killer lines" which are only half a degree wide) is a no-brainer if you know your gua, have a luopan, remember what Heavenly Stem and Earthly Branch we're currently in, know the Pillars of the month, day and hour, the current Flying Stars, the whereabouts of the Grand Duke Jupiter and what kind of a ruler he is this year... and have studied and practiced for a minimum of a bunch of years, which has scratched the surface of it ever so slightly. I meet the above requirements and therefore I usually know the best spot to pick, whether for taiji or at a restaurant or on the face of the Earth... provided it's available. Now a higher skill is to "make it available" -- but by then one might be a realized enough being to just give it to someone else... <_<

• Haha 1

I use the form/compass feng shui. Assessing a landscape, a building, or a room for all its energies instantly and precisely (down to the "killer lines" which are only half a degree wide) is a no-brainer if you know your gua, have a luopan, remember what Heavenly Stem and Earthly Branch we're currently in, know the Pillars of the month, day and hour, the current Flying Stars, the whereabouts of the Grand Duke Jupiter and what kind of a ruler he is this year... and have studied and practiced for a minimum of a bunch of years, which has scratched the surface of it ever so slightly. I meet the above requirements and therefore I usually know the best spot to pick, whether for taiji or at a restaurant or on the face of the Earth... provided it's available. Now a higher skill is to "make it available" -- but by then one might be a realized enough being to just give it to someone else... <_<

When I am centered and steady where ever I am is the best spot.

When I am centered and steady where ever I am is the best spot.

Nice. So... classic feng shui is six thousand years of useless pursuits by the uncentered and the unsteady? :lol:

as the sun entices the plant to grow

as the water flows

as the wind calms the leaves

this is dowsing for the ultimate

Nice. So... classic feng shui is six thousand years of useless pursuits by the uncentered and the unsteady? :lol:

Not at all. The uncentered and unsteady need all the help they can get. :D

Not at all. The uncentered and unsteady need all the help they can get. :D

Yeah, apparently poor unsteady taoist masters had to make do with whatever their lil' unsteady minds had learned from their uncentered immortal sages, while real wisdom was centered altogether elsewhere.

Some call it cultural colonialism. I do, for one. What's your name for "feeling a priori superior to a complex system of traditional knowledge you don't bother to learn?"

• Like 1

What's your name for "feeling a priori superior to a complex system of traditional knowledge you don't bother to learn?"

I call it being a regular American. (apologies to neighbors north and south :rolleyes: )

Michael

• Haha 1

Yeah, apparently poor unsteady taoist masters had to make do with whatever their lil' unsteady minds had learned from their uncentered immortal sages, while real wisdom was centered altogether elsewhere.

Some call it cultural colonialism. I do, for one. What's your name for "feeling a priori superior to a complex system of traditional knowledge you don't bother to learn?"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

sorry

Why are you putting words in my mouth. Why so defensive.

Never said I felt superior. Never said I never use a pendulum or

have no knowledge of feng shui.

Where did the knowledge come from in the first place?

Some either just knew or perhaps it came through meditation.

But alas I do not meet your requirements and therefore am unqualified.