Lucky7Strikes

Yin Yang Left Right

So one should be wary of which hand one uses for what unless one wants to tackle some difficult emotional issues. :)

My left hand has never gotten jealous of my right hand.

• Like 1

Information on strokes just to illustrate the left/right brain/body relationship ....

if the stroke occurs in the brain's right side, the left side of the body (and the left side of the face) will be affected

If the stroke occurs in the left side of the brain, the right side of the body will be affected

from here:

http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/AboutStroke/EffectsofStroke/Effects-of-Stroke_UCM_308534_SubHomePage.jsp

• Like 1

It would be less confusing if you only stick with one system.

Yin/Yang are Chinese terms; and Yoga is Hindu. Please try not to intermix them as the people in the thetaobums do.

I don't think the Chinese have a different body than Indians. This is a very basic principle found in all energy arts, the sun and the moon, masculine and feminine. TCM seems to be the only system that switches them.

Things can indeed become very difficult when you expect differing philosophies to come to the same conclusions. Best to stick with either the Taoist path or the Ayurvedic and not expect them to have matching concepts.

We should also refrain from thinking that one path is right or better than another, it is simply that they are different. Both could lead you to the same destination.

Uh...your body isn't a philosophy. Yang qi and Yin qi are symbolic differences given to energy in the body, and their characteristics are masculine and feminine. There should be a correlation when it's as basic as this.

I asked many of my teachers in Chinese medicine school. Most agreed Yang is left, and gave two reasons...

1). The emperor always faced south, the most auspicious direction. Therefore the sun rose on the left - Yang, and the sun set on the right - Yin.

2). Chinese creation myth - Pangu, who emerged from universal formlessness. He separated yin and yang with his axe, then he pulled out his left eye to create the sun, and his right eye to create the moon. Yang - left, Yin - right.

Now TCM swaps the Kidneys, and this is where lots of confusion lies. My younger TCM teachers argued that because of this the entire yin/yang sides of the body were swapped.

Ahhh that's really interesting.

What do you mean TCM swaps the kidneys?

I don't think the Chinese have a different body than Indians. This is a very basic principle found in all energy arts, the sun and the moon, masculine and feminine. TCM seems to be the only system that switches them.

LOL. Of course all the human bodies are function the same but there is a difference in concept between the two cultural philosophies. The questions is which one do you want to follow. If you have decided to follow one, then, ignore the other to avoid any conflicts and confusions.

LOL. Of course all the human bodies are function the same but there is a difference in concept between the two cultural philosophies. The questions is which one do you want to follow. If you have decided to follow one, then, ignore the other to avoid any conflicts and confusions.

I don't see how this is a cultural philosophy or a conceptual thing. Why would I follow one or the other, when it's based on the human body? Do you follow the human body? The yin yang idea and sun moon channels aren't that different.

So one of them is wrong.

I don't see how this is a cultural philosophy or a conceptual thing. Why would I follow one or the other, when it's based on the human body? Do you follow the human body? The yin yang idea and sun moon channels aren't that different.

So one of them is wrong.

It is not a matter of right or wrong but only the difference in concept.

PS.....

There is no need for any further discussion in our conceptual differences.

Edited by ChiDragon

Ahhh that's really interesting.

What do you mean TCM swaps the kidneys?

In TCM the right kidney is yang (Mingmen), and generally thought to be connected in pulse diagnosis to the right wrist. Though in some Chinese schools of thought this is not the case.

• Like 1

So pangu did a crossover, as in the stroke dynamic.

His left/yin eye created sun/yang, and his right/yang eye created the moon, yin.

Hmm, I don't think so. Prior to Pangu there was no yin or yang. His left eye became the sun, therefore deciding that left = yang.... At least according to the myth.

I asked many of my teachers in Chinese medicine school. Most agreed Yang is left, and gave two reasons...

1). The emperor always faced south, the most auspicious direction. Therefore the sun rose on the left - Yang, and the sun set on the right - Yin.

2). Chinese creation myth - Pangu, who emerged from universal formlessness. He separated yin and yang with his axe, then he pulled out his left eye to create the sun, and his right eye to create the moon. Yang - left, Yin - right.

Now TCM swaps the Kidneys, and this is where lots of confusion lies. My younger TCM teachers argued that because of this the entire yin/yang sides of the body were swapped.

My CM teachers teach that left is yin and right is yang. This is also switched in the head where left = yang and right = yin. In practice you can see for example this in unilateral imbalances where the problem is only on one side. If it's in the sex side (males -- right, females -- left) then it's considered to be deeper and thusly will take longer time to heal.

I also bumped into this contradictory statement from TCM sources and asked about it from my teacher and he used your first example as a point that left = yin , right = yang : The emperor is facing south. South, as we know, is yang. The front of the body is yin. So, the yin side is facing the yang side. So, the left (yin) side is facing the east (yang) side.

My CM teachers teach that left is yin and right is yang. This is also switched in the head where left = yang and right = yin. In practice you can see for example this in unilateral imbalances where the problem is only on one side. If it's in the sex side (males -- right, females -- left) then it's considered to be deeper and thusly will take longer time to heal.

I also bumped into this contradictory statement from TCM sources and asked about it from my teacher and he used your first example as a point that left = yin , right = yang : The emperor is facing south. South, as we know, is yang. The front of the body is yin. So, the yin side is facing the yang side. So, the left (yin) side is facing the east (yang) side.

Ahh I see, then that makes sense. If the south and the back of the body is yang, then if we align the body, it makes sense to say that the right side is yang and the left side is yin.

I was also looking into the seasons that correspond to the four celestial beasts of the directions, and the phoenix is the beast of summer, yang, and the back side of the body. Which again confirms that the Yang, the dragon, is on the right side of the body, because it is east, while the Yin is on the left side, the west.

South pointing compass, South is correlated to summer, fire,advance, expand, ward off relating to the energy and manifestations. North is winter, water, retreat, condense, roll back. East is Spring, wood, look left, growth bending and rising. West is wood, autumn, metal, gaze right, cutting, Earth is center which gives rise to directions and the basis for seasonal energetic changes and elements dynamic changes.

Yin and yang can be confusing because it is in relation to something. We could say front of body, yin, can be protected. Yang, back of body, exposed. then to contradict that we can say Back of legs, yin can be protected (fold your legs together),front of legs yang exposed. Inside arms yin can be protected (again fold arms)outside arms yang exposed.

Left and right... left, wood, yin compared to right, metal, yang or right yin trapping redirecting compared to left side striking or Pressure (force)on left side of the body yin emptying compared to yang right side filling up.

South pointing compass, South is correlated to summer, fire,advance, expand, ward off relating to the energy and manifestations. North is winter, water, retreat, condense, roll back. East is Spring, wood, look left, growth bending and rising. West is wood, autumn, metal, gaze right, cutting, Earth is center which gives rise to directions and the basis for seasonal energetic changes and elements dynamic changes.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

If one would like to understand the concept of yin-yang, then one should start something fundamental like the Yijing, 易經, the Classic of Changes. It doesn't quite work out learning something from the middle or backwards.

• Like 1

Chinese medicine can be interpreted both ways. The left is yang, right is yin. But the left pulse reflects the blood, the right pulse reflects the Qi. Blood is yin, Qi is yang. However, blood is yin transforming into yang, Qi is yang transforming into yin.

Want to get more confused?

The left is represented by the qian, pure yang trigram; the right, the kun pure yin trigram. As the story goes both sides had three children. Three daughters and three sons. The sons of qian, gen, kan, and zhen, are made of two yin and one yang. The daughters of kun, li, xun, and dui are made of two yang and one yin. But aren't boys yang and girls yin?

Hmmm?

Edited by 松永道

Chinese medicine can be interpreted both ways. The left is yang, right is yin. But the left pulse reflects the blood, the right pulse reflects the Qi. Blood is yin, Qi is yang. However, blood is yin transforming into yang, Qi is yang transforming into yin.

Want to get more confused?

The left is represented by the qian, pure yang trigram; the right, the kun pure yin trigram. As the story goes both sides had three children. Three daughters and three sons. The sons of qian, gen, kan, and zhen, are made of two yin and one yang. The daughters of kun, li, xun, and dui are made of two yang and one yin. But aren't boys yang and girls yin?

Hmmm?

That...that is confusing...

Great confusion, lets add to it, what is yang becomes yin and yin becomes yang we call them two but they are really one. Once we have a physical form the laws of yin and yang are in effect.Yin and Yang are known by its polar complete opposite like fire and water. Extreme cold on the body produces a burning sensation and extreme fire causes a numbing sensation,they are polar complete, just like dark and light.

Polar complete things like left and right can be classified as either yin or yang,what is important is the context of classification. Have Fun with it