Sign in to follow this  
remle

Straight from the horse's mouth...

I used to love listening to aldous huxley, alan watts, or whoever (namely, people much more enlightened/inspired than me- but basically someone known for their field of study) give talks/speeches/interviews. If you encounter any good sites or resources where I can listen to these (either streaming or download) please let me know.

Or maybe we can use this message as a thread to list the locations or recommendations for these audio files .

from my blog..

Listened to (mp3 file) "On Being a Monk - Part 3" dl'd from iTunes podcast "Urban Dharma". These are from UrbanDharma.org, from the Dharma Talks Page 1 & Page 2 (scroll through pg 2, really cool). The "On Being a Monk" series is really, really interesting because it's a series of interviews of various monks and nuns, each who've been around a while. #3 was with Ven. Pannyavaro, who is Australian and got into Buddhism some decades ago (in the 60's, I think). There were basically no resources nor cross-cultural weave at that time. He did a lot of traveling, often living in a country for a year to several years, to study a particular style of dharma. I mean, it's really .. these are the sorts of conversations that are like gold for me. :lol:

Also, the talks at HardLight.org.

trunk. thanks for the link.... here's a link to a some alan watt's lectures... apparently you can purchase the bulk of them on cd or mp3 format, but here's a link to the ones that are streaming for free... hope everyone enjoys them.

http://www.alanwatts.com/media.php

p.s. does anyone know of any good, but free, software to download streaming audio or vid to your hard drive?

Edited by remle

p.s. does anyone know of any good, but free, software to download streaming audio or vid to your hard drive?

Quick reply: Audacity is *fantastic* for downloading streaming audio and converting the recordings to mp3: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Hope it works out for you!

Peregrino

Hi Peregrino

How do you download streaming audio with Audacity? I used it as a recorder (unless that`s what you meant)...

Hi Peregrino

How do you download streaming audio with Audacity? I used it as a recorder (unless that`s what you meant)...

Oops, you're right, it's a recorder, but then you can convert the recording into mp3s. You have to be patient, but the results have been excellent for me. I don't know how you could actually download streaming audio without running the whole thing first, especially if it's on live time (like Internet radio, which I often record to use in the English classes I teach).

My very favorite is Michael McAllistair for his zen inspired talks, his website is Infinitesmile.com or better yet search for free podcasts at the Itunes store. You can use Itunes (a free program) to convert it into mp3 for any non ipod player.

His half hour talks give me the same feeling I get from say, Eckhardt Tolle, only he is easier to connect to because he's a regular guy.

I highly recommend his talks to everyone. Deep, accessible and resonant.

Michael

thanks for the responses. since my original posting, i've found that using Windows Media Recorder works well. you can record audio and video, and you can record w/out having the window open. once u set it to record, you shut the window and it cont's to record. so you can record from multiple sources at same time, in the background. i think the trial version has a time limited restriction, but i stumbled across a full free version...

i never realized there was soo much out there.. :)

Sign in to follow this