Mr. Knuckles

I'm new and i don't know what to do...

I'm a teenaged male who needs help practicing taoism...

i don't beleive in a god but i do believe in people and nature and that seems to be what taoism is about. i want to know more about taoism and it's teachings before i convert to it... [i'm still not really sure whether or not it's a religion...]

from what i gather i'm already pretty much a taoist already, i'm nice to people just to be nice [the world's already a terrible place without me being a prick so why bother?] and i respect nature [it really does hurt me when i see someone litter...] but i'm sure there's more to it than that. i'm trying to get my mother to buy me the Tao-te-Ching but she said next time she goes to barnes and noble she'll let me know [which means never]

so until then i need to know thw basics about taoism... what do i need to do on a daily basis and stuff like that... i realize it seems lazy of me to register to this message board just to get people to tell me what i need to know as opposed to looking for it but i assure you that i have checked my local library [which had to order a book from another library but i'll go get it monday...] and looked on the internet [nothing goes as in-depth as i want/need it to...] and after i adjust i will be a contributing member of this board.

i realize this is a lot of reading and i thank you for taking the time but i'm REALLY interested and hope to become a taoist... Thanks...

Great that you are discovering Taoism so young!

There are lots of free information on the web on Taoism and other spiritual paths. That information can get you started, and to help organized your thoughts.

Practice, though, is where it gets a bit difficult without a teacher. The importance isn't so much the words of the teacher, but the energy and itelligence with which they vibrate and with which you can resonate.

I am a student of Michael Winn's. He has a great ebook on the inner smile, a truly wonderful and fundamental practice. You can get the ebook for free if you visit his website, and join using the box toward the upper-left.

Your intuition to read the Tao Te Ching is a very good one. There are many online versions of it to be found at the bottom of this Wikipedia page

Watching/feeling nature is another really good thing. You can just sit with a nice houseplant, hold its leaves while you breath in, feeling gratitude for the oxygen it provides, and as you breathe out feel gratitude for it absorbing your carbon dioxide. Walk around a bit holding your breath, only allowing yourself to breathe while touching the plant. That exercise can really help you bond with living organisms. It isn't about chi, but it helps them become real, not just decoration.

Enjoy!

thanks, i'll try that, and i actually did get the tao te ching, my mom had to go "easter shopping" [we've never done that before] and she took me to barnes and nobles...

Mr. K,

Hey... South Carolina, cool beans! Welcome!

If you feel drawn to convert to something, I'd go with a 'real' religion that's got some right and wrong going on. To my mind, taoism really doesn't really have strong beliefs.

Yoda

well, that works to my benefit because if i have to beleive in something too strongly then i end up questioning why i have to do so and eventually end up having to renounce it due to some flaw or irregularity i've found [this has happened twice over with christianity].

Anyway, i've been doing some reading and taoism is exactly what i'm looking for.

but thanks for your input, anyone's advice is always welcome by me.

Also, i've been trying to meditate but i have an extremely hard time clearing my head, i think i may be a little ADD... i realize that may sound ignorant of me because i'm not sure if anyone can be a little ADD [your either ADD or not, right] but i'll clear my head for a moment and then my mind'll start wandering again... Any Suggestions?

Mr. K,

If silent mantras do it for you, you might check out advancedyogapractices.com... sit down, close your eyes and just mentally say I Am a few times a minute or whenever you can remember to.

There's plenty of techniques out there and you are fortunate if you can find one to groove on, but it isn't necessary to have a nice life imo.

Yoda

Also, i've been trying to meditate but i have an extremely hard time clearing my head, i think i may be a little ADD... i realize that may sound ignorant of me because i'm not sure if anyone can be a little ADD [your either ADD or not, right] but i'll clear my head for a moment and then my mind'll start wandering again... Any Suggestions?

That's completely normal. Everyone's head is like that. You're just starting to notice it, is all.