Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Nirvana Tao: The Secret Meditation Techniques of the Taoist and Buddhist Masters

I have read two of his books including the one mentioned. The other was Tantric Quest. He is the real deal. Spent several years in India/Kashmer in the 60's and 70's and was invited to live in a monestary. I found the Secret Meditation book to be rather technical and more suited for advanced students of meditation, which I am not. The chapter on Taoist meditation didn't seem as detailed as the tantric/Tibetian versions. Now that I've been hanging around the Taobums, a re-reading of that section is probably in order. On the other hand, I really enjoyed Tantric Quest. Most of the info you get on tantra in the US is really "neo-tantra" and is designed around new-agers wanting to put a spark back in their relationships. Odier was fortunate to find a real dakini, or should I say she found him. After reading the book, I had a good grasp on what Tantra is all about. BTW, in the prolog of the Tantric Quest book, he describes his school and teaching methods. His intructions for a beginning meditater are simple and to the point; I found them incredibly helpful.

I just read the book Eric mentions, Tantric Quest".

:)

I wanted to boost the heads upon this one.

I recognised my path in it, felt my heart opening, like "I arrived in this life with this, here's my baggage, labelled!"

It's a first person narrative of an initiation with a Tantrika.

So beautiful.

Spectrum I think you would savour it.

TaoMeow I think you would smile with recognition if you havent already read it/eaten it/smelled it / hunted it a thousand years ago.

Is there anyone here who has worked with Daniel Odier?

(He made the film "Diva".. which I think I'd like to now watch again..()

Edited by cat

Thanks Cat! I'll check it out.

Spectrum

When wind whispers a Way

Sing songs with birds along

When monkeys chatters away

Save your coins, breath long.

Help is on the Way

Do any of his books give an methods or techniques for attaining stillness (non-arising thought/no mind) asap?

Thanks,

Matt

he seems very credible and i am interested in kashmir shaivism and tantra, ill be picking up a couple of his books. thanks for the recommendation :):)

Its really gratifying to hear people discussing Odiers stuff. I read DESIRE a few years ago & was really inspired by his image of Enlightenment as a kind of "Full Contact" rather than an evasive "Detachment". It made perfect sense to me, as Enlightenment cannot a special state to be 'attained' & clung to ( thus making vulnerable to loss,& not a real freedom ).

His image of Enlightenment as a surrender to full contact, the 'ego' being an evasive mechanism that recoils from the immense numinosity involved, seems far more rational & feasible than Enlightenment as some kind of super-immune state where nothing will ever hurt you again.

I would say if your getting into Odiers stuff, start with DESIRE, then do TANTRIC QUEST, & finish off with NIRVANA TAO.

Regards, Cloud :)

... was really inspired by his image of Enlightenment as a kind of "Full Contact" rather than an evasive "Detachment".

His image of Enlightenment as a surrender to full contact, the 'ego' being an evasive mechanism that recoils from the immense numinosity involved, seems far more rational & feasible than Enlightenment as some kind of super-immune state where nothing will ever hurt you again.

Regards, Cloud :)

:) yes.

It makes perfect sense, it reflects my own experience, it's real and heartening. I very much resonated with the Tantrika, and with Odier as the adept. I am both of them, theoretically could wear either hat.( Of course I cant pick up stones with my vagina...)

I felt I must have been doing this many lifetimes or something, it was a 'coming home' style relief, to read it.

I would recommend it especially to those I know have a deep kinaesthetic awareness, who will recognise a lot of what Odier goes through.

He describes very clearly what he feels in his body and how he experiences events energetically. To me it is a great relief to have a communication on that level.

(He made the film "Diva".. which I think I'd like to now watch again..()

Amazing! Diva has always been one of my favorite films, my wife's as well, since it was first released. The music is brilliant, as is the story. I'll have to check out some of his stuff.

Sign in to follow this