Sign in to follow this  
QiDr

Teacher Scam

I was recently contacted via email by a man wanting to enroll his daughter in my tai chi and qi gong classes over the summer. She was to come here from England and he wanted to know what styles I taught and how much twice-weekly private lessons tuition for two months would be. He said his borther lived in the area and she would be staying with him.

I responded with the tuition amount and he asked if he could pre-pay the tuition and asked for an address. I advised him that he could send a casheir's check ONLY, but my preference was that the daughter pay at time of lessons.

His next email stated that he had sent two money orders, that both were for over the tuition amount. He wanted me to deduct the tuition and bank the remainder of the money until he gave me the address of one of his "agents" at which time I was supposed to forward the agent the remaning funds to pay for his daughters air fare etc.

After the last transmission I forwarded the entire record of emails to the U.S. Secret Service Fraud Division. I had a similar thing happen last year when I was selling a motorcycle, some guy from England wanted to send me several thousand dollors over the amount of the bike and send the remainder to some agent so he could ship the bike to England. They guy never sent anything but this sort of thing is an obvious fraud.

It is surprising me that they are now targeting teachers of something as esoteric as tai Chi and Qi Gong. This most recent character found me via my web site and I have to assume that he must have done quite a bit of homework to find me at all.

The thing that really toasts me is, these guys think we Americans are greedy and stupid.

The thing that really toasts me is, these guys think we Americans are greedy and stupid.

Don't you assume it happens the other way 'round as well?

A common fraud using certified checks. The funds will be deposited to your account, but a few weeks up to a month later the bank will call you and tell you the check isn't real and you are out of funds. By that time you've already sent your own money to the "agent".

QiDr.-

You did the right thing. I for one would never send anything/money until the check had cleared and was varifide in my account. I use ebay and amazon to sell stuff and have had many problems but no actual fraud as of yet. The internet is not an easy place to do biz for me thus far.

Greed and stupidity seem pretty universal, more's the pity!-

Stay well & on yr toes out there!

I for one would never send anything/money until the check had cleared and was varifide in my account. I use ebay and amazon to sell stuff and have had many problems but no actual fraud as of yet.

Hi Wayfarer,

The problem with such scams using certified checks is the check does clear and money is on your account and it will take a few weeks for the banks involved to realized the check is bad.

Edit: http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2002/12/56829

Max

Edited by Smile

Don't you assume it happens the other way 'round as well?

Not from here it doesn't

Geee.... I wonder where they would ever get that impression.

Which little golden bubble of xenophobia do you live in? You think there are no Americans running scams out there? Puh-lease.

Geee.... I wonder where they would ever get that impression.

Which little golden bubble of xenophobia do you live in? You think there are no Americans running scams out there? Puh-lease.

I passed this on to other teachers as a heads up, not to be commented on by every twerp in the peanut gallery.

I passed this on to other teachers as a heads up, not to be commented on by every twerp in the peanut gallery.

thanks QiDr, it is good to see one person who is concerned for others. far and few between. and yes its obvious there is a peanut gallery.

YUANQI

Sign in to follow this