Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Happiness

Inspired by

FURTHER SELECTIONS FROM ENTERING THE TAO :-

08 - Do not work just for the feeling of happiness; it will cost you too much. It is better to remain right and

true on all occasions and at every moment. The feeling of happiness belongs to the emotional level. Thus, be

careful not to become a slave to your emotions; rather, be the lord of your spirit. (ibid, p. 128)

I am naturally a very happy person. When I talk to people they often say "Wow, you are so happy" or "what a nice smile" etc....

However I sometimes "feel" that I "need" to be unhappy. There will be nothing wrong in my life but I just get a strong desire to well basically sulk :) or mope around, or be cranky. It's like my body needs to feel like that sometimes.

I can repress it and just make myself feel happy but in the back of my mind the desire to sulk is still lurking there, where as if I just indulge myself in being unhappy, just for a hour or so, I sort of work through it and feel normal again.

I have often though this might just be my way to balance out my overly happy personality.

I am naturally a very happy person. When I talk to people they often say "Wow, you are so happy" or "what a

nice smile" etc....

However I sometimes "feel" that I "need" to be unhappy. There will be nothing wrong in my life but I just get a

strong desire to well basically sulk :) or mope around, or be cranky. It's like my body needs to feel like that

sometimes.

I can repress it and just make myself feel happy but in the back of my mind the desire to sulk is still lurking

there, where as if I just indulge myself in being unhappy, just for a hour or so, I sort of work through it and

feel normal again.

I have often though this might just be my way to balance out my overly happy personality.

Very interesting, Mal! :D The ability to be happy, despite (or regardless of) the external circumstances,

is not necessarily a bad thing, so long as you are not deviating from the Tao in the pursuit of happiness.

The Master's point was that doing right, that is, practicing the Tao, should make us happy. Practicing the

Tao, though, means effecting central harmony, or cultivating the spirit. Cultivating the spirit means to not

seek happiness in externals. According to Taoist psychology, emotions are external. Attaining the inward

or center requires practicing detachment from the emotions. If I could give you some advice, don't seek

happiness by making yourself unhappy. There is something deviant about that, but what do I know? B)

Edited by Yen Hui

Thank you paul ~

If I could give you some advice, don't seek happiness by making yourself unhappy. There is something

deviant about that, but what do I know? B)

Upon further reflection, it occurred to me that there is one very important exception to the above rule:

remorse. Remorse is a psychological force which we must come to terms with. The I Ching teaches us

that remorse is a vital part of genuine spiritual practice. If we have something to be remorseful about,

then we must exercise ourselves in that way. And the genuine tears of remorse will produce happiness.

Sign in to follow this