Sign in to follow this  
thaddeus

Wing Chun?

I'm considering mixing my training up a bit and studying Wing Chun to see what it's all about. Any comments?

T

I'm considering mixing my training up a bit and studying Wing Chun to see what it's all about. Any comments?

T

What is your current training?

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Chen Style Taiji, and various chi gongs..

T

Nice. I can't give any advice re wing chun.

But my feeling is if you have the desire try it and see how it goes.

T

I don't have first-hand enough expertise to comment, but I've been around other experienced martial artists who've commented that wing chun is effective, formidable.

* 2nd hand 2 cents * :rolleyes:

You should try it and see if you like it. I trained it about 18 years ago, but if I had a choice back then, I would go straight for taiji. Who is your ChenTJ teacher?

You should try it and see if you like it. I trained it about 18 years ago, but if I had a choice back then, I would go straight for taiji. Who is your ChenTJ teacher?

You know, I thought this would be a fun idea but it seems next to freaking impossible to find a school in a chinese internal or external art that a.) has reasonable hours (i.e. after work most evenings) b.) no contracts or other weirdness. I was looking for something that would be fun, not compete too much with taiji principles and help me stay active. Just getting a little slump in my training and need a little booster with something.

T

Edited by thaddeus

I was looking for something that would be fun, not compete too much with taiji principles and help me stay active. Just getting a little slump in my training and need a little booster with something.

Yes, the competition aspect of MA is one of the reasons I won't ever do it again. Have you ever tried Aikido?

The school I used to go... very good teacher: http://www.shinbudokai.org/

If I was in NY I would study with both Juba Nour Shihan Aikido and Kenny Gong lineage disciple James Montalbano for Shing Yi.

You know, I thought this would be a fun idea but it seems next to freaking impossible to find a school in a chinese internal or external art that a.) has reasonable hours (i.e. after work most evenings) b.) no contracts or other weirdness. T

It's always fun trying to avoid the McDojo's with their endless contracts and free uniforms etc :)

Wing Chun is by far the most poplular and common of the southern chinese systems, so it's often dificult to find a decent school. A good (i.e. complete) system of Tai Chi is all you need and I'm not too sure how well Wing Chun would complement your Chen style (northern v southern influences)

However all the people I know that do kung fu also know some form of tai chi, but they usually started with kung fu and incorprated the tai chi for health reasons. My Sifu knows Chen style as well as Yang. He taught us Yang and won't teach us Chen untill after we have learnt Tong Long (southern art, similar to wing chun) When I asked him if Chen style was "worth learning as well" he said that knowing Chen gives his Tong Long more power, but it will be many years before we are good enough to be of any help to us.

Anyhow, it would certanly be worth having a look at. What about the other students at the school you go to, do they train in any other arts?

A style popularized by Bruce Lee's mentorship by Yip Man. Charactarized by a short compact form w/ simultaneous deflective and offensive hand techniques. No kicks above the hip. A lot of kicks at 45deg. Made use of the Mook Yam Jong popular in the west probably.

Spectrum

This place looks interesting because of the direct connection to O-sensei and Tohei. Does he do much Ki development stuff? I never heard of him.

Hi T,

Yes, he has a direct connection with both teachers, and I even saw a documentary where he was an uke for O-Sensei. After OS's death, he went with Tohei for a while and was a part of Ki Society but later separated and opened his own school in NY. His training is just like Tohei's- heavy on Ki development and all the techniques are also heavy on developing Ki use. He is all old school. Hardly ever talks but has an amaizing power.

M.

Hehe..well..I trained with Juba. He is a very martial Aikido pracitioner but "reputation as an arm breaker", can't really comment to that.

I never saw anyones arm get broken while I was there but if you are uncomfortable by all means go with someone else.

Sifu Montalbano would probably be cool. Go with your intuition I guess.

I studied briefly at NY Aikikai..too physical? Not sure how to comment to that. It's a martial art :)

Good luck in any case.

Hi T,

Yes, he has a direct connection with both teachers, and I even saw a documentary where he was an uke for O-Sensei. After OS's death, he went with Tohei for a while and was a part of Ki Society but later separated and opened his own school in NY. His training is just like Tohei's- heavy on Ki development and all the techniques are also heavy on developing Ki use. He is all old school. Hardly ever talks but has an amaizing power.

M.

I think its sad how martial arts seem to have denigrated for the most part. The Aikido described here is much different from what I've seen offered in most schools --- which as described here is physical rather than internal. Tai Chi is often the same way. It seems that more often than not, only the external parts are transmitted. Then, a few generations down, no one thinks that Aikido has anything to do with Ki, or that Tai Chi is a great way to stretch.

Thaddeus,

What about Hsing-I or Ba Gua?

I'm still nursing this shoulder cuff injury and a sacrum injury and ny aikikai aikido is extremely physical.

IMHO you might want to look into Intu- flow. It is challenging and works on opening joints, balance.

Makes the whole body work together as a unit.

There is also the possibility that it might help your shoulder and sacrum.

Forget anything where you can aggrevate your injuries.

Edited by mYTHmAKER

IMHO you might want to look into Intu- flow. It is challenging and works on opening joints, balance.

Is that a class or a DVD?

What about Hsing-I or Ba Gua?

I'm looking into it...amazingly enough, not very many choices in NYC at least on the web. I think because it's so expensive to run a business in nyc, that the only successful martial art schools aren't going to appeal to snobbish elitists like myself :)

T

I think Wing Chun has some good hands, but a weak base and some weird foot work.

I was under the impression that there are some decent Bagua and Xingyi schools around your area, but finding something that works with your schedule and isn't pressing contracts (anywhere) can be a bitch...

All experiences are valuable; never underestimate the power of face to face experience. Talk is cheap.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

All experiences are valuable; never underestimate the power of face to face experience. Talk is cheap.

Spectrum

Wing Chun can be good depending on the teacher and how they train you. William Cheung teaches in my city, but the training isn't how it used to be.

NY Aikikai? If that's where Sugano teaches I'm not sure what you mean by physical. It seemed really soft and non-martial to me. Personally I'm not into Aikido anymore, too much passive aggressive bs to wade through to find the decent stuff.

Systema may compliment your tai chi. I've heard that one of Vlad's old time students Rob Green has a group he trains with "under the radar." Haven't met him myself but he's meant to be good.

T

Go for it. Study it in-depth for a while and get a deeper understanding of the system, then you are allways better off choosing what to do next. Make sure you get a good teacher though. Here in Europe we seem to be quite fortunate.

All parts of the system are well thought through, footwork included, which some obviously don't understand. "Hand chasing" is just derogatory and shows a nil understanding of what it is about.

Find out somebody who can demonstrate and clarify all the subtle points

Good luck thaddeus!

M

Sign in to follow this