Sign in to follow this  
BananaMonkey

Any long-term Zen practitioners in here?

Hey fellow disciples of sitting and staring at the floor :D

Now, this semi-serious line already brings me to the point of this thread: Do you all practice with you eyes half-lidded or does anybody close them completely during zazen? My teacher and pretty much everything I've read about it advocates keeping the eyes open. While I understand that the practice is designed this way for a reason, I'd like to hear if anybody here did zazen with eyes closed long-term and what their experiences are with it.

Peace!

The idea of keeping your eyes slightly open is so that you don't fall asleep. If you can keep them closed and not fall asleep, then it's not important. What your mind is doing (or not doing!) is what is important.

• Like 1

So you both think that ultimately, it doesn't really matter. That's interesting because when I started practising consistently a few months ago, at first I closed my eyes completely because it felt easier. Then, maybe two weeks ago, I started keeping them half-open and I felt like I had to start almost from zero again. I guess I'll just return to eyes closed, then.

Another question: I also started practising Qi Gong breathing exercises a few weeks ago. So as first thing in the morning, I do some breathing exercises. Because it's great to get me going and because traditionally, deep breathing is said to be more beneficial energetically when done before noon. I'm in the process of learning the Microcosmic Orbit and will do this after the breathing.

So far I always did Zazen in the evening, when things are quieter and I feel like calming my mind is in order. Occasionally, if time permits and I feel like it, I'll also do additional Zazen during the day. So when do you think is the best time to sit?

According to the instructions of Buddhadasa, a respected and experienced thera monk, in samadhi the eyes close spontaneously.

So, he encourages the open-eye cult :D

According to Max Christensen (latest Kunlun book), keeping the eyes half-open signifies opening the gate between the two worlds. I can see it too, by letting light into the eyes, you are joining the inner and the outer.

Alan Wallace says you can do breath meditation with eyes closed, but when you start doing the awareness of awareness techniques of Dzogchen, you should keep your eyes partially open.

I have discovered that eyes partially open permits me to relax the brow and third eye area. It is also easier to remain cross-eyed, which, if you are gazing at the tip of the nose, joins the blind spots of the eyes together and produces some rather intense energy effects.

For the most part , when I partially close the eyes a magnetic type of pressure/hole opens up at the brow area. If I follow through and put my attention on the magnetic hole, energy flows can be precipitated... It is much easier to feel the pressure with eyes partially closed, because you have to relax certain mucles to maintain the position and that contributes to opening the third eye.

Franklin Merrell-Wolff also recommended meditating or introspection with eyes partially open because it helps to keep the person from falling asleep.

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 1

The main reason for meditating is to notice the presence of stillness within which occurs when one completely settles. That ever-lasting pool of stillness is the quality of our true-nature and is overlooked because we are generally unsettled by our thinking. So whichever way settles you the most is what you should do.

Bodhidharma noticed true-nature present in a cave wall...whether you believe he saw it or preferred to sit facing it so the mind was not distracted it points to the fact that he had is eyes open. If they are closed what does it matter what you face?

When the Stillness of what is present on the inside notices the Stillness of what is present on the outside the mind is triggered into realising in and out are not separate but a single presence...then awakens. Then we realise that meditation is whatever we do and the state of calm is no different with eyes shut or open, sitting or walking.

Hope this helps.

Heath

• Like 3

I once took a weekend zazen workshop, we were sternly told to keep our eyes half open. The reason we were told is to be present in the world during zazen, if this makes sense. Also I believe someone mentioned that neurologically eyes open vs eyes shut, very different effect on the brain surging zazen. Eyes shut the brain thinks you are ready for sleep.

Sign in to follow this