Sign in to follow this  
rex

Bouncer

Geoff Thompson's really an amazing, inspiring Renaissance man! I was meaning to start a thread about him myself. Isn't he planning on making a feature film? I'd be all over that. His podcasts are great too.

Anyone read any of his books, whether on self-defense or inspirational? It's interesting to note that while GT seems to follow a primarily Eastern-oriented spirituality, he also seems to draw from the works of a contemplative Catholic priest called Edward Hays, which is really appealing to my bridge-building instincts:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093951610...1839475-3559843

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been carrying(!) the kids up mountains.

As you say Geoff Thompson is simply amazing, offering inspiration and advice on how to rise above the worst aspects of urban life - and all without the necessity of becoming a hardened cynical bastard. His books on fear and self protection have helped me a lot and teach the stuff not ordinarily covered in dojos - situational awareness and the psychology of violent confrontation. His next film Clubbed is due in 2008 and is set in the same period when I was a crazy mixed up teenager.

Thanks for the link to Edward Hays book, this sort of material is right up my street. :)

Have you heard of Brother David Steindll-Rast? He respects differences but acknowledges that spiritual sanity and experience is not the exclusive preserve of any one tradition which appeals to my bridge building instincts too.

Edited by rex

Sign in to follow this