becomethepath

Professional Poker Player - Is it bad karma?

If you have your own conscience about such things, you would know if you had "done someone over" and could always end up giving them their cash back if you wanted. Play the game but keep it friendly? I always just play for chips with friends...that way I can enjoy it, still play it like it is on TV just without actually crippling anyone (or myself)

In other news, I met a guy who went bankrupt from gambling. He turned to Buddhism and now no longer gambles.

Anyway, meditate. Contemplate.

• Like 1

If you believe in this karma stuff, then unless you are enlightened, everything involves karma. Are you creating karma by taking someone's money? Resolving karma by making them money? Vice versa?

Everything you do involves karma. Work for a corporation? Karma.

Work for a local start up, privately owned? Karma.

Become a homeless beggar? Karma.

Become a rich person and hoard it all? Karma. Donate it to charity? Karma. Who's to say the charities will donate to will use the money wisely, and who's to say the people who receive the money are receiving money in the best way (karmically).

You also have your own karma that comes into play. Why poker? Why not computer programming? Art? Science? Music? Drug dealing? Theft?

Unless you are enlightened or advanced enough to perceive karma, then for the most part you're going through life blind.

I would just say cultivate "awareness." Do what is right in the moment. Not do what is easy, not do what you think "should" be done, but do the right action for that moment.

And yeah, you're just going to have to figure out what that is, and over time you may or may not get better at doing that.

• Like 2

Believing in such things as karma is nothing but being a slave to an ideology.

Karma isn't real. Don't concern yourself with that. Concern yourself with whether or not it's a realistic way to make money. I know people with gambling problems. It's not pretty or funny, so be careful. If you can't set limits to how much you gamble, then don't gamble. If you gamble more money than you can afford to, then don't gamble.

If there is a God, I doubt this is something he\she\it is concerned with.

My great concern is that you've allowed yourself to be suckered into all this Karma nonsense. The next time someone talks about Karma to you, ask them to show it to you. They can explain the idea, but they can't show it to you. When you encounter something like that, it's best to be skeptical.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

I was wondering is being a professional poker player, doing it for a living as a way to put food on the table (not a gambling addiction btw), does this profession generate negative karma?

Being alive in itself generates negative karma. It makes no difference whatever you do to make a living - all ways lead to Buddhist Hell.

So, go ahead and be a gambler. Best of luck.

I'm just trying to find a way to earn a living by doing something I actually don't mind doing. I feel miserable in the job I currently have.

Develop a skill that is useful, that you find bliss in doing and that people value. In other words find what kind of work jiggles your heart strings, find your passion and purpose, what works make you swell with emotion and brings tears to your eyes of joy to your heart when you do it?

An old trick I learned from one of my previous teachers was to get out a blank sheat of paper and write down what you think you life purpose is.....just keep digging deeper and deeper into yourself and questioning what you want. When you get to something that makes you burst with tears then you've found something your reasonably passionate about. Do you think gambling is a healthy and harmonious usage of your life while your here in this incarnation? Best of luck to you.

My 2 cents, Peace

If you feel this way, then don't play the game. Just as simple as that. I guarantee that if you have such an attitude playing the game, you will be a loser!

Most people don't have the emotional stability, knowledge of math, or the patience to sit in a game for 50 hours a week for years. Bankroll variance with the unexpected bad beats, can take an emotional toll in holdem poker.

Having a fantasy of being a big time player is quickly eroded by the daily variance. Poker is a grind!

As far as bluffing is concerned, the one bluffing may not have the best hand but is wanting the opponent to fold. From what you are writing, you seem to have very little knowledge of the game.

also, key in poker (imho, i'm no expert) is self control and sense of "Wu wei". If you care too much about your hand or the game, you will lose (both the game as well as peace of mind).

My friend who is a pro-level poker player always tells me -- don't play unless you can accept losses, and responsibility for your actions. Most people fall into the trap of the gambling vice because they are not honest with themselves and delude themselves into thinking that they are better at gambling than they actually are. The best gamblers (successful ones) are those who don't care too much for the money and accept that they will win some, lose some.

also, key in poker (imho, i'm no expert) is self control and sense of "Wu wei". If you care too much about your hand or the game, you will lose (both the game as well as peace of mind).

My friend who is a pro-level poker player always tells me -- don't play unless you can accept losses, and responsibility for your actions. Most people fall into the trap of the gambling vice because they are not honest with themselves and delude themselves into thinking that they are better at gambling than they actually are. The best gamblers (successful ones) are those who don't care too much for the money and accept that they will win some, lose some.

Emotional self control is key.

Example of a bad beat that would be tough to handle. Straight flush over quad queens.

Another example of losing control with AA and not being able to fold. AA is a 4-1 favorite but it is just another pair.

An old trick I learned from one of my previous teachers was to get out a blank sheat of paper and write down what you think you life purpose is.....just keep digging deeper and deeper into yourself and questioning what you want. When you get to something that makes you burst with tears then you've found something your reasonably passionate about.

And what did you find after you did your digging?

I was playing limit, i played a lot of online poker on yahoo games for practice, it was more like 1 hour days, right now, I just need to know if its against the precepts or if buddha prohibit "gambling", i've been researching on this topic, there hasn't been a clear cut answer, people say its okay, people say its not okay to gamble or play poker

I don't want to be harsh with you but it looks like you have no idea what you are in for. Playing poker for a living is probably one of the worse things you can do right now. The games are so dry and online poker being banned in US is making pro players tear their hair out. The problem you are facing is very silly. Gambling is not advised in Buddhism, period. But, playing poker for a living does not make you a bad person. Many people enjoy poker now and it is viewed as a semi 'sport' so most likely you won't be playing against people who are gambling addicts and ruining their lives. You will be playing on the other hand a very strong group of players. With information readily available, there is a huge surplus of strong solid players. If there was a 'easy money' poker train, then it left in 2007. I invite you to 2p2 forums to read about some harsh realities of being a poker player. You are not taking into account living expenses, health insurance, emergency fund, unemployment gap, taxes, tough competition, dry games, swings, consistent income, etc. I am not even talking about certain lifestyle choices and sacrifices. It's just stupid. You sound young and a bit naive. If you want to give it a shot. Go watch Rounders, take $2000 and go to Las Vegas, when you come back broke it should be out of your system. If there was one of the worse times to become a poker player, it would be in 2013.

• Like 2

Another example of losing control with AA and not being able to fold. AA is a 4-1 favorite but it is just another pair.

I am sorry, where do you see aces being 4 to 1 favorite here? You are really expecting barryg to fold aces to durrrr here?

I am sorry, where do you see aces being 4 to 1 favorite here? You are really expecting barryg to fold aces to durrrr here?

AA is always a pre flop 4-1 favorite. However, that doesn't mean one will win with it every time.

I think Barry pushed too late but as I said previously, AA is just another pair. When becomethepath loses all his money, he will be asking for spare change on Freemont St. :lol:

Poker requires skills and strategy, and I wouldn't view it as a form of gambling but a hobby.

I`d say it wouldn`t be a prob if said person doesn`t become addicted or if they start to produce negative habits or thoughts towards the game ;D