becomethepath

9 to 5, Escaping the Rat Race

I was in the same boat. I quit my job. I'm now in search of employment. With no money coming in...IM NOT STRESSED OUT!!!!!

I'm so happy it's ridiculous. I'm confident I'll be working so I'm not worried about that. Only you know what's right for you. I wanted to strangle my boss. Everyday I wanted to quit.

• Like 2

Yup, I feel like people are so focused on making money and securing their retirement, they work their whole lives trying to save up for retirement and next thing you know they're old and filled with regrets of wishing they didn't work so hard and spend so much of their time working. They let their career define them.

Owning my own business then selling it off to a competitor after 15 years was my way out of the rat race. Not easily replicated, but it worked for me. I've never cared too much about stuff, but money can equal greater freedom.

• Like 1

Owning my own business then selling it off to a competitor after 15 years was my way out of the rat race. Not easily replicated, but it worked for me. I've never cared too much about stuff, but money can equal greater freedom.

Heyyyyyyyyyuuuu there Uncle! Can I borrow some mulah?!?.. I kid, I kid.

I've been looking at business ventures, most involve programming of some kind because before I lost my mind I had all these super awesome games that I wanted to make for smart phones and other platforms.

• Like 1

The most plausible way to escape the rat race, is to get a bunch of other people to run the rat race for you, and pay them slightly less than they are worth so you can live off the fruits of their labor.

That or win the lottery.

Some jobs allow lots of free time at work, where you can goof off, I am studying for one of those jobs.

Own less = work less. Need less = work less. Eat only as much food as you need to be healthy = work less. Avoid all empty calorie foods = work less. Do your own work, instead of paying someone else to do it = work less. Grow your hair long = less haircuts = work less (or else get an electric hair trimmer and do your own). Dont work out at the gym, instead do bodyweight workouts at home = work less. Get rid of nonessential entertainments like TV, newpaper, etc. = work less. Never buy books, instead borrow or library = work less. Dont pay to go out and be entertained (dont eat out, no movie theatres, no expensive dates, etc.) = work less. Get rid of car, bicycle everywhere or walk/bus/run, etc. = work less. Buy less clothes, have less clothes, be happy with what clothes you have = work less. You get the point.

Simplify = more time for you, less time for taking care of 'stuff.' The things you own own you. Don't be owned. Find free entertainments (parks, books, meditation, dancing, and so on). Make it a game to be creative and see how much fun you can have in one day spending no money.

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 2

I was in the same boat. I quit my job. I'm now in search of employment. With no money coming in...IM NOT STRESSED OUT!!!!! I'm so happy it's ridiculous. I'm confident I'll be working so I'm not worried about that. Only you know what's right for you. I wanted to strangle my boss. Everyday I wanted to quit.

Inspiring!!

Less money spent = more money made...The more energy you put into your self, the better you appear to others, the more energy you put into others the more you express your self. But after expression comes exhaustion. Best to lie down then. Take time rest. Care for self, all = bliss, then perform again. Need less next time, get into the groove, shake things up = more efficiency, less waste. Don't throw things out you can use. Stop buying things you don't REALLY need. Create create create, allow energy to flow through. Soon you move mountain. All it took is time. Next: Time=Energy=Space=Matrix (mind), realize that there is an inexhaustible amount of energy if your are willing to wait for it. You will have it when it's needed. Let the energy come in, then return it to its birth (Earth). Use this force daily to create the life you want, instead of the life you think others want you to have. Then you have all this stuff that you really need, nothing that you want, which is good!

Oh yes: Energy = Money, they are the same money = juice. Juice = power, power = wheel..the power to turn the wheel lies within the wheel. Physics says this: Each action you take has an opposite but equal reaction. Once you have performed that action, it's actions also get performed to you. Thus, when you eat, you are eaten, and when you drink, you are drinkin' ;) So if you work all day that means you were worked all day, and you will be tired. Now you have all this energy stored up, what to do with? Buy clothes? Buy hamper for clothes? Eat Sushi? Nope. Go to bed because tired. What's the point? Best to lay dead instead? Maybe, but not now...instead work less, play hard!

Edited by Songtsan

Of course one should always work all day long - but do good work, not bad hehe..like exercise, eat good things, take less space, make gardens, take walks..make nature happy, you know <wink,wink>

It all boils down to circumstantial priorities.

A single person has less responsibilities, whereas a family man or woman have more.

Easy for a single person to say F*** it to everything and go off exploring yonder, not so for one who has dependents.

Either way, contentment comes from having the right thoughts followed by right actions, in all areas of life. Its all interconnected.

If your mind is settled, one will not feel so much flustered by externals. An unsettled mind means no matter where one is at, contentment will be a forlorn dream, or the desire for it can cause one to become so agitated that one becomes blinded to simple routes to happiness, and this in turn can cause one to make rash decisions.

If most of the contents of one's mind are rough and harsh, others (bosses for eg) can seem harsher and this in turn builds the level of disdain.

The good news is that the mind can be trained, and unfavorable traits can be transformed into favorable ones.

The not-so-good news is that even this takes hard work, and is also another cycle, albeit one that leads to brighter things.

Choices. Cant live with them, cant live without them... :)

• Like 1

True dis:

It all boils down to circumstantial priorities.

A single person has less responsibilities, whereas a family man or woman have more.

Also,

Teach children to be happy with themselves..to not need toys and games to entertain their minds when their minds already can entertain themselves. Video games are great, I played a bunch, but so is being in bodymind, show them the fun of real life, not virtual life, at least sometimes...let them know that virtual life and real life are equally fun. If video games become more fun than parks or bicycling, something is off.

Also, also: never eat when you don't need to. Stay thin and trim by avoiding buying stupid-snacks...be toned and fat-less means weigh less, eat less. Look good move fast like a panther..always energetic. 2muchfoodmakesusfull and lethargic and then we sleep too much and waste time/energy/bliss/money=not having fun as much.

Also, also, also, don't type too many alsos - many other interesting tings 2do! don't buy rocks at home and garden center - go find them on beach..little by little..add to garden - everythings really free if we sell it like that!

Edited by Songtsan
  • Like 1

I've had one foot in the rat race over the past few years. But, I'm out now and working on my own business (literally last few months).

You want to know how to get out (this is hit the dirt practical how to make $, not buddha)? Seriously. Things are way easier than it may seem. The key is 'right' information. If you have already been working in a field for a while you probably have a serious leg up and are in much better position than you think.

If you are:
-technically inclined

-business oriented

-independent thinker (ahem...all taobums)

then you are good to go.

Learn:

-web design

-any programming language...programmers are crazy in demand especially mobile

-SEO

-Google adwords

-graphic design

Learn 1 or 2 of these skills. Combine them. Synthesize them. Find a market. Do good research. Go live somewhere cheap (Asia) so you can bankroll yourself. Network. Build on your experience. Find opportunities in fields or areas you know already. Ok, so OP already has some skills!

Check out some of these sites:

nichepursuits.com
empireflippers.com
smartpassiveincome.com

blackhatworld.com

wickedfire.com
RESEARCH!#@@$#%

(I have nothing to do with any of these sites. I just use some of them as resources)

Seriously, there is so much opportunity to make money by leveraging the internet. Make a business plan. Make sure you have a good business model. Maybe reinvent the wheel, but you probably don't need to and there's probably somebody else already 50% done reinventing the wheel you want to reinvent anyways. I shit out a bazillion ideas every day and that's just in one small area (don't worry I clean up).

Anyways, what I'm saying is. Research. Research. Network. Research some more. Do something.

Edited by daojones
  • Like 1

Ideas = big money too if you can run with them...ideas are free, you just have to think...but running with them is hard. However, if you have contacts who are good runners or good bankers, you can get something started, even with no money. I have a few million dollar ideas kicking around my head that I haven't done anything with because I am not a runner-type...I was going to let them loose once I got my website up and running, but I am writing a book, and doing some construction right now, and I haven't made time yet..

Just love the Tesla Quote More_Pie_Guy The other one is awesome..and feels like NOW

I want out...

Pros about my job

-stability

-airconditioning

-good pay

-if i actually like this job, i'm financially set for life

Cons about my job

-i only care about when it's time to go home

-sitting on my butt for hours

-counting down the hours

-an asshole boss

-stuck indoors all the time

-dealing with clients

-continuing education

-meetings and seminars

-daydreaming

-so many rules and regulations to remember

-cycle

-never look forward to go to work

-once i get home, i'm mentally drained, I take a nap and next thing you know i'm up all midnight, rinse and repeat

If you guys have watched office space before, the movie is representing my life right now. I'm tired of this office 9 to five work, I feel miserable. It's like, I have to do this for 40-50 more years? It's a cycle I want to break out of and I feel like the only way to escape this "rat race" is to work a job that you actually like doing. That's what I want to find, a job that I wouldn't mind doing. Of course, the job that I wouldn't mind doing would pay lower, but I don't need that much money anyways. I don't want a family or kids, I don't need the "luxury", I don't want the big house and large lot.

Maybe I'm complaining too much and should be thankful for even having a job. I don't know.

If you don't mind my asking, what job do you have/what field are you in?

I don't know about you clowns, but I love my corporate job :D

Air conditioning, snacks, I make good money for doing something relatively easy. I can use that money to go out, hang out with friends, go to movies, pay my bills, buy drinks, buy food or buy ingredients to make food, support my hobbies, by books for recreation, buy video games, etc, and still have money saved up.

Is it my ideal job? No. Is it my true passion? No. Does it pay the bills, hell yes.

Would I like to get into something else? Yes, I just don't know what :P

So OP, what do you do?

• Like 3

Dragon, for the next week I will be using Dragon erase everything stop.

Hello,

I am training Dragon,

so if my posts seem weird, it is because I am trying out this new software.

move must transfer undo last command stop.

it's tricky-awesome...

Dragon, for the next week I will be using Dragon erase everything stop.
Hello,
I am training Dragon,
so if my posts seem weird, it is because I am trying out this new software.
move must transfer undo last command stop.
it's tricky-awesome...

I aim to speak my words into Taobums instead of typing...due to tendinitis in left shoulder...I like typing, but it hurts us.