Sign in to follow this  
Yi Tao

better practice through science

I was reading the Tao Bums forum and came across the StressEraser; a biofeedback device. It monitors heart rhythm to determine vagus nerve activity and physical relaxation. It is a focusing tool for the monkey mind that uses the exhale to create a properly timed harmonic that effects the nervous system. It sounds really cool.

There is a certain aspect of Taoism that just demands obedience and action without over analyzing, but I've heard that western practitioners sometimes out pace their eastern counterparts because they ask pointed questions rather than stumble in the dark.

I've placed my order, but of course it's on backorder so I have to wait. It feels like cheating or maybe giving up on the way. But it's nice to have a flashlight in the dark when you don't have a guide.

I've often heard of the criticism that the West treats the symptoms and not the cause. That is to say, we suffer an ailment, seek a professional who "fixes us" and then we go right back into the conditions that caused the ailment in the first place.

Technology (and science, to a lesser extent) is one of the most important aspects of humanity now... technology has had a huge impact on the lives of humans, much more so than any political, religious or economic system.

We wouldn't be sharing our thoughts right now, if it weren't for technology... most of us wouldn't have even heard of taoism if it weren't for technology.

the stress eraser does sound pretty cool - let me know how you like it, I'm thinking of ordering one.

Learn it so well that you don't need the machine; then rent it out while you give away body work.

What about better science through practice?

The best scientists are often mystics.

I was reading the Tao Bums forum and came across the StressEraser; a biofeedback device. It monitors heart rhythm to determine vagus nerve activity and physical relaxation. It is a focusing tool for the monkey mind that uses the exhale to create a properly timed harmonic that effects the nervous system. It sounds really cool.

There is a certain aspect of Taoism that just demands obedience and action without over analyzing, but I've heard that western practitioners sometimes out pace their eastern counterparts because they ask pointed questions rather than stumble in the dark.

I've placed my order, but of course it's on backorder so I have to wait. It feels like cheating or maybe giving up on the way. But it's nice to have a flashlight in the dark when you don't have a guide.

If you reach the 10th samadhi and become a Buddha. Do you think that another Buddha is going to hold a grudge against you for making the process more foolproof since the goal of all Buddha's is to liberate all sentient beings?

It's our job to use all the tools that we have at our disposal ;)

Hell, every time that I see Trunk post I restrain myself from posting to him that "He is THE MAN!"

I like his website a lot and I find it helpful.

What about better science through practice?

Check out the experiment mentioned in this article previously posted by SeanDenty: http://www.samuiexpress.net/?q=node/397

Interesting to imagine what would happen if a Taoist Master of this level at some point would spend some time experimenting with technology.

Also interesting to think, now that westerners are beginning to practice "the real thing" what would happen if a high level physicist were to become a high level practitioner in the type of practice mentioned in the article.

High level yogis have been commenting that they wish that neurofeedback devices had been more well known when they were starting out.

What David Verdesi is doing is a huge service to humanity. I hope that it gives him enough merit so that he can go where ever he wants to go.

Interesting to imagine what would happen if a Taoist Master of this level at some point would spend some time experimenting with technology.

good point!!

I know several people that build very powerfull chi generators, but in my oppinion they dont quite have the very fine distinctions between the type of energies produced... the collaboration between a sensitive Taoist master and one of these guys with the knowledge of the technology behind these devices could be an incredibly fruitfull one!

Sign in to follow this