Sign in to follow this  
norbu

Is there a best system to use to develop microcosmic orbit.

I have noted different systems seem to start the orbit from

Different places around the circuit. I don't know which one to use.

In my attempts to try it, I just relax and breathe softly, and the circuit seems to run

Along on its own. Is this simple way to run the circuit ultimately the best for me?

Norbu

You don't need to do anything with your chi.

The old masters focused almost exclusively on their minds and behaviour, and wrote down the stuff they noticed happening to their chi. Later generations read about things like MCO, inverted cause and effect, and now everybody thinks enlightenment is all about chi - a form phenomenon, so hardly directly related to Tao - and puts so much emphasis on chi practices, when chi practices should just be an auxiliary to speed up the natural transformation that results from shamatha, virtue and wisdom.

Get 'The Attention Revolution' by Alan Wallace if you really want to go far! With this book you'll know how and why to practice the shamatha aspect of cultivation. Virtue speaks for itself, and as you advance in shamatha you'll naturally be drawn to wisdom so don't worry too much about that now. :)

Not that I know of. Its easy to get the 'feeling' of the MCO, though that might be just heightened awareness of the nerves along the circle. For many it stops as just a physical sensation mantra, with the 'real thing' a much more powerful kundaliniesque experience. I tend to think even after years, that's where I am still.

I agree w/ Michael Winn and others that the best approaches go beyond mental and have physical components. As someone who is admitted 'not there' I like the guided meditation by Minke DeVos (SilentGrounds.com) on her Tao Basics CD called Microcosmic Orbit. Best to train live with a teacher who's been there ofcourse.

There might be a temple or a dude somewhere better than Mantak Chia but he has so much material you can get online.

Got a spare 3hours 40mins?

*edit*

This links to a long playlist.

Edited by Republic Of Zen

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll check out Mantak Chia's website. Like he's the leper with the most fingers I guess. When I did Yin Xin qigong, the circuit just took off on its own This time I wanted to resume working with it and wasn't sure who to use as a source.

"the leper with the most fingers"

I dont understand this phrase. People dont seem to like his material but he has a lot and there isnt really anyone else to follow?

For me the most useful was the Small Universe MCO of Spring Forest Qigong, simply because they provide a recording to do it by so you can't go wrong with the tempo, breathing and route, plus you have the bonus of calling on the masters energy to help you and healing sounds to aid. If I was to do it on my own from a book I would probably do it too fast and without the right breathing rhythm and miss out on other benefits.

https://soundcloud.com/rolf-h-corneliussen/01-sitting-meditation-small

Thanks for the info re Spring Forest. I've ordered the CD you mentioned and will give it a try.

Norbu

Sign in to follow this