Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

what's your fav 1-5 minute breathing drill for a good buzz?

I'm looking for breathing drills that can be done a few times a day in under 5 minutes that'll induce a good buzz. Thanks for any suggestions. I've dug up an old Ki breathing drill I found in the late 80s and go with that at the moment.

I like ocean breathing to chill but for a nice buzz I really like the breath work section of Intu-flow.

I second Ujai to chill, and am opposed to deliberately induced "buzz" breathing of any kind. Spontaneous -- through assorted recapitulation venues (systemic body-inclusive memory retrieval practices) -- arises as fetal breathing, involves the kind of hyperventilation that is not sustainable outside one's own systemic fetal memory context (you would faint in five minutes) and can last as long as it chooses to -- the longest was four hours in a breakthrough session about ten years ago, since then, never longer than forty minutes, and often only forty seconds. This can't be forced. Anything that can trigger this mustn't be forced. Breathing as some other creature out of the context of "being" that creature breeds monsters. (A monster is a creature comprized of different incompatible ones -- e.g., part human part wolf makes a werewolf; part human part bull, the Minotaurus; bat and cat, a gargoyle; a combo of several humans in one, the Frankenstein's monster; part human part reptilian, our current government; and so on.)

Spontaneous -- through assorted recapitulation venues (systemic body-inclusive memory retrieval practices) -- arises as fetal breathing, involves the kind of hyperventilation that is not sustainable outside one's own systemic fetal memory context (you would faint in five minutes) and can last as long as it chooses to -- the longest was four hours in a breakthrough session about ten years ago, since then, never longer than forty minutes, and often only forty seconds.

Fascinating.

I met a old hippi mama from the 70's that was a rebirther a couple years back. That all sounds familiar TaoMeow.

I second Ujai to chill, and am opposed to deliberately induced "buzz" breathing of any kind. Spontaneous -- through assorted recapitulation venues (systemic body-inclusive memory retrieval practices) -- arises as fetal breathing... This can't be forced. Anything that can trigger this mustn't be forced. Breathing as some other creature out of the context of "being" that creature breeds monsters.

Ujai is still a fire breath, no? If you do it in combination with your asana or chi gung you'll create a buzz in one way, but also you'll be smoothing out the vibratory state, so this is not the same kind of buzz that is negative though like a stimulant, nor is it created by bursts of breath pumping more oxygen into your system. I suppose Ujai is similar to the regulatory and vacuum pumping effects the basic taijiquan breath of heng / ha.

Taoists chi gung breaths I was taught started w/ elongation of the in/out cycle and moved to balancing the in/out cycle; a common breath that I have also seen in a Taoist book is the Fire Breath in Da Liu's "Tai Chi Chuan & Meditation"; ihe describes a form of Fire Breath that is combined with some type of Scrying technique. Regardless of the scrying; His descriptions of the fire breath are short fast abdominal breathing using the Heng / Ha sounds; his own practice he claims for upwards of 6 minutes... he perscriptively notes in the book to practice this breath "until the practitioner forgets him or her self"...

A breath that works for slowing things down would be to lengthen the in/out cycle to upwards of 30 seconds in 30 seconds out. An interesting note in my own practice using any muscles other then the throat to regulate breath will result in unneeded tension elsewhere in the trunk.

Fascinating.

Thanks! :)

It is, Neijia. We never forget anything we lived through -- the body that "was there done that" doesn't forget, the feeling consciousness stores the feeling, the soul... don't even get me started... the genes, the jing, the lower brain, the cells, the connections --

none of it ever disappears. The neocortex is the only organ equipped to "forget;" in fact, modern research reveals that 30% of what our brains are doing at any given moment is policing the remaining 70% and forcing it to keep quiet about what it remembers!.. -- forcing us to "forget." I don't for a second believe it is normal... it is a sign of a very lousy state of affairs with our species if you ask me... this global epidemic amnesia.

Memory is, to me, the most fascinating subject on earth and beyond. I've studied it from every possible ange -- hey, how about this, the biochemical one:

there's a protein called Sir2P, a "silencer" by its function, that looks like a rubber band around an area of the DNA that is not supposed to be working, either because it's not currently needed or because we're so overwhelmed with "current" stuff that we keep "filing away" more and more parts of ourselves this way. Somewhere among those rubber-band-secured files is eternal youth (for we have genes for that -- the very same ones that cause a lobster or an alligator to never die of old age, only of accidents -- because they have a "rubber band" around a different gene instead, the one that causes all human cells to eventually commit programmed suicide via shortening their telomeres with each division -- well, with lobsters it's the other way around, they have this one silenced and the one that allows indefinite division and indefinite renewal, fully operational instead!) Somewhere else is the ability to produce superoxide dismutase in the same amounts the little critter called bacterium radiodurans does, which allows it to live inside nuclear reactors, repairing all the damage from horrendous oxidation caused by such lifestyle faster than it happens. If we were to unblock the memory of how to do that, to remove the rubber band from that particular gene, we would effectively render ourselves immune to radiation and lots of other nasty things.

Well, anyway... the trick is to handle memory with care, and consciously, and to step carefully -- and courageously. Carefully and courageously...

Breath retention. Holding the breath with chi - whatever you want to call it.

Best 5 minute recharger I've met.

Sign in to follow this