Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Various Accupuncture meidian systems

I understand that there are special meridians used by Japanese Shiatsu? Dirk Oellibrandt, in his meridian Chi Kung talks about this.

Does anyone know about this alternative system? Resources?

I understand that there are special meridians used by Japanese Shiatsu? Dirk Oellibrandt, in his meridian Chi Kung talks about this.

Does anyone know about this alternative system? Resources?

I remember reading about this..might be zen shiatsu, but don't quote me. If you look at the popular meridian system, certain organs have points in the hands and others the feet but not both. One of those shiatsu guys said that they are in both and came up with meridians that reflect all the organs in the arms and the legs.

T

The Shiatsu system is very different, at least as it's been performed on me. There's no way the Japanese could ever adapt anything from the Chinese without altering it drastically to make it their "own".

When discussing organs in terms of TCM and Qigong, I think it's best to think in terms of organ qi and not the organs themselves. The Chinese system works this way to balance out Yin and Yang in the body.

For example, the kidney qi isn't diagnosed based on the function of the kidneys in the western sense but rather on the function of the organ qi associated with them. That qi is responsible for many important things, such as bone marrow and sexual drive. So, a weakness in one of those areas would indicate a weakness in the kidney qi. And kidney qi in this sense probably won't be boosted by stimulation of the Shiatsu "kidney" point on the hand.

If the Shiatsu practitioner (i'm speculating) has points for the same organ on the hands and the feet, he's probably describing points specifically for the organ itself, similar to reflexology. There are plenty of those in the TCM system as well and they could be located anywhere on any meridian.

Just look at the bladder meridian. Those organ points, as far as I know and I well could be wrong, directly affect the organs themselves.

As far as resources, google would be a good place to start. "Shiatsu Meridian System"...

Edited by soaring crane

the organs are treated in tcm as well. the back shu points are used to treat the organs among other points. shiatsu from what i read came from tui na which is a chinese system of massage. reflexology came from shiatsu. i think i read that the jesuits that went to china came back with that knowlege. but who knows. all i know is that tcm treats the qi and channels but treats organs as well if thats what you are looking to do.

Edited by yuanqi

The Japanese meridians are the same as the Chinese.

There are still a small number of Japanese MDs who use an acupuncture system that was developed (I think in the Fifties), and since been discarded.

The MDs developed a 2 cm grid that was overlayed on the body and at each intersecting point of the grid, there was the acupoint.

Although this method was easier to learn, it was functionally inept as eventually fell into disuse.

Sign in to follow this