Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Curing Bi Polar?

My father is on all kinds of meds stemming from his bi polar disorder. This kills me. What you recommend? I would think first, switching his doc to a naturopath would help?

link I found recently...for anyone interested:

http://www.theicarusproject.net/

Edited by GrandTrinity

Hi there GT ~

Sorry about your Dad's condition. It's certainly possible to successfully get him off his meds, if he's willing to

work at it. Is he a spiritual man? And how rigid or fixed are his current "philosophical" beliefs/opinions? I ask

because the healing path will require intensive soul, mind, and body work on his part; and a great degree of

receptivity and willingness to change.

According to Taoist teachings, all medical disorders have a spiritual root. If the spiritual light is turned around

and stored in the mystic chamber of formlessness, then vitality and energy return to perfect reality. Here is a

couple of web-links that approach the subject from the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine:-

1 - The Traditional Chinese Medical Diagnosis and Treatment of Bipolar Disorder, Part One

@ http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/...5012d88db8a9f04

2 - The TCM Diagnosis and Treatment of Bipolar Disorder, Part Two

@ http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/mpacms/at/...eda5a433e6614fd

Edited by Yen Hui

A lot of times bi polar people have a lot of energy which falls prey to an amplified version of the natural the swing of balance. Often some type of activity which focuses the individual into some type of routine outside of the daily grind is helpful. Specifically physical activity will focus mind through body, instead of letting the body run the mind when it is imbalanced. Also Diet (sugars, hot spices and refined carbs) can play a major role in controlling mood disorders. A good balance between activity and rest is probably the best long term. 5htp is good for sleep and regulates carb cravings and provides a mood buffer, but is all natural, a precursur to tryptamine.

Spectrum

My father is on all kinds of meds stemming from his bi polar disorder. This kills me. What you recommend? I would think first, switching his doc to a naturopath would help?

link I found recently...for anyone interested:

http://www.theicarusproject.net/

Have you tried modifying his diet slowly? Don't act like a fanatic though, it'll put him off. My mom doesn't have any serious issues other than a heart murmur. The only thing that she'll take out of my stash is the CoQ10 and that's because she loses a lot less head hair by using it.

omega-3?

some biofeedback therapy?

How about taking walks with him in the park when it's warmer outside :)

Hi GT,

First thing I'd ask is, what does HE want? It's so common to want family members to take care of their health in the way that WE want them to, but first we need to look at our own attachments to their doing things OUR way ;).

Even if we're convinced that OUR way is superior, we have to look at how we tend to want to control others. In other words, to exert control is going to have an unhealthy result, regardless of what the thing is that we're pushing. And then it helps to look at our own fears that are driving the controlling impulse.

So, along those lines, I would then ask, is your father actively seeking a different approach? If so, there are many that you could suggest to him. If not, do you sense that he's open to hearing about something different, if you broached the subject in a non-controlling way, just by making some suggestions with no strings attached?

Often the second one applies to one degree or another, and you have to be the judge of how much input is appropriate to give, based on his responses.

I would agree with the others that some simple diet and nutrition adjustments could start the ball rolling. Just see how receptive he is, and what areas he shows the most interest in. Some people are adamant that they won't change their diet, but they're open to using some herbs. Others won't take anything, even supplements, that the doctor hasn't sanctioned. Some who are very conventional-medicine oriented will go for acupuncture or to a naturopath when they've reached the end of their rope and feel desperate enough. It all depends on where the person is at, at a particular time.

I have found that my family members have asked ME about what I'm studying (Heilkunst) and they wanted to get treated, without my suggesting it to them directly. I was thinking that I'd like my niece to get treated, but then I completely let that energy go. Next thing I know, she's asking me, "How can I get treated?" :)

My sense is that letting go is the ticket. Then if the window of opportunity is there, by all means talk about what you know.

Take care,

Karen

1 - The Traditional Chinese Medical Diagnosis and Treatment of Bipolar Disorder, Part One

Hey there GT ~ I highly recommend the following two books:-

1 - The Complete Book of Chinese Medicine: A Holistic Approach to Physical, Emotional and Mental Health

@ http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Chines...0910&sr=1-1

2 - Soul Mind Body Medicine: A Complete Soul Healing System for Optimum Health and Vitality

@ http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1577315286/re...8455730-2921650

Grandmaster Wong's Chinese Herbal Remedy for Bi-Polar Disorder :-

"This example is taken from the famous 18th century "Comments on Ancient and Modern Medical Case

Histories" by Yu Zheng. Because of excessive melancholy, a young woman was thin and impatient. She

became manic-depressive (i.e. bi-polar), and often laughed or cried for no reasons. Sometimes she even

appeared naked, and frequently talked nonsense.

"The physician, Wu Jiao Shan, found her pulse floating and uneven. He concluded that her spirit was

dislodged from its seat in her heart. He asked her to boil zi he che (Placenta Hominis) into a paste,

then dried it and cut into slices to be eaten randomly. Then he prescribed "Calming the Mind Decoction"

to be taken in the day, and a course of "Bolus for Pacifying Intention" at night. She recovered, married,

had a son the next year, and became plump and healthy.

"The ingredients of "Calming the Mind Decoction" are:

yuan zhi (Polygala tenuifolia willd)

gan cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae)

ren sheng (Radix Ginseng)

dang gui (Radix Angelicae Sinesis)

shao yao (Radix Paeoniae Alla)

mai dong (Radix Ophiopogonis)

da zao (Fructus Ziziphi Jujubae)

"The ingredients of "Bolus for Pacifying Intention" are:

gui xin (Plumula Cinnamomi)

fu qin (Poria)

sheng jiang (Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens)

da zao (Fructus Ziziphi Jujubae) [End of excerpt]."

(cf. Complete Book of Chinese Medicine, p. 309-310)

Grandmaster Wong does not give any instructions on how to prepare the above remedies, but if you go

to his website and e-mail him from there for more information, I'm sure he could either assist you, or at

least refer you to someone else who could. Maybe even a "reputable" Chinese Herbalist in your area

could prepare it for you, and instruct you further on correct administration procedure(s).

Hey there GT ~ I highly recommend the following two books:-

1 - The Complete Book of Chinese Medicine: A Holistic Approach to Physical, Emotional and Mental Health

@ http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Chines...0910&sr=1-1

2 - Soul Mind Body Medicine: A Complete Soul Healing System for Optimum Health and Vitality

@ http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/1577315286/re...8455730-2921650

Grandmaster Wong's Chinese Herbal Remedy for Bi-Polar Disorder :-

"This example is taken from the famous 18th century "Comments on Ancient and Modern Medical Case

Histories" by Yu Zheng. Because of excessive melancholy, a young woman was thin and impatient. She

became manic-depressive (i.e. bi-polar), and often laughed or cried for no reasons. Sometimes she even

appeared naked, and frequently talked nonsense.

"The physician, Wu Jiao Shan, found her pulse floating and uneven. He concluded that her spirit was

dislodged from its seat in her heart. He asked her to boil zi he che (Placenta Hominis) into a paste,

then dried it and cut into slices to be eaten randomly. Then he prescribed "Calming the Mind Decoction"

to be taken in the day, and a course of "Bolus for Pacifying Intention" at night. She recovered, married,

had a son the next year, and became plump and healthy.

"The ingredients of "Calming the Mind Decoction" are:

da zao (Fructus Ziziphi Jujubae)

"The ingredients of "Bolus for Pacifying Intention" are:

gui xin (Plumula Cinnamomi)

fu qin (Poria)

sheng jiang (Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens)

da zao (Fructus Ziziphi Jujubae) [End of excerpt]."

(cf. Complete Book of Chinese Medicine, p. 309-310)

Grandmaster Wong does not give any instructions on how to prepare the above remedies, but if you go

to his website and e-mail him from there for more information, I'm sure he could either assist you, or at

least refer you to someone else who could. Maybe even a "reputable" Chinese Herbalist in your area

could prepare it for you, and instruct you further on correct administration procedure(s).

one thing also to consider when taking chinese patent herbs or decoctions is what the actual TCM diagnosis is. alot of the herbs above in the calming mind formula and other are warm in nature, meaning that if the patient has any warm disease, or kidney yin xu (kidney yin deficient) etc it shouldnt be used. alot of the herbs above also tonify in general among other aspects. but few are used for calming the mind. alot of mind calming herbs actually arent herbs that are used in TCM. things like mu li (oyster shell), long gu (fossils), zhen zhu mu(mother of pearl) etc are used quite often. long gu is neutral but the other two are cool or cold in nature and are used to calm the mind, when there is heat disturbing the shen then it has no place to rest and you would use cool or cold herbs but if the person doesnt have heat and has a cold problem then these wouldnt be good for the person unless mixed with warming herbs etc. so it can get complicated this is just a brief overview for you to consider, there are alot of contraindications in chinese herbal medicine. i definitely would get a proper diagnosis so the practioner can prescribe something based on the patients signs and symptoms.

whats funny in the above excerpt is that she was eating dried human placenta which has no calming the mind effect but it is used in cases of infertility among other things. LOL it tonifies the liver and kidneys and augments the blood and essence. LOL no wonder she got pregnant!!!!!

Edited by yuanqi

one thing also to consider when taking chinese patent herbs or decoctions is what the actual TCM diagnosis is.

alot of the herbs above in the calming mind formula and other are warm in nature, meaning that if the patient

has any warm disease, or kidney yin xu (kidney yin deficient) etc it shouldnt be used. alot of the herbs above

also tonify in general among other aspects. but few are used for calming the mind. alot of mind calming herbs

actually arent herbs that are used in TCM. things like mu li (oyster shell), long gu (fossils), zhen zhu mu

(mother of pearl) etc are used quite often. long gu is neutral but the other two are cool or cold in nature and

are used to calm the mind, when there is heat disturbing the shen then it has no place to rest and you would

use cool or cold herbs but if the person doesnt have heat and has a cold problem then these wouldnt be good

for the person unless mixed with warming herbs etc. so it can get complicated this is just a brief overview for

you to consider, there are alot of contraindications in chinese herbal medicine. i definitely would get a proper

diagnosis so the practioner can prescribe something based on the patients signs and symptoms.

whats funny in the above excerpt is that she was eating dried human placenta which has no calming the mind

effect but it is used in cases of infertility among other things. LOL it tonifies the liver and kidneys and augments

the blood and essence. LOL no wonder she got pregnant!!!!!

All excellent points, worth remembering! Thanks for taking the time to share them. :D

Great thread! I think the above phrase "Pacifying Intention" really hits the nail on the head. Everyone has mood swings, but people with stronger than normal mental focus can hold on to one thought for a longer period of time resulting in great mood swings. Any sort of pacifying practice or activity is good. Maybe buy some massage sessions as a birthday idea?

Please be VERY careful when reducing the meds for bi-polar sufferers. I once dated a woman who was bi-polar and when she missed her meds she became very dangerous to herself and others.

Five Element Acupuncture ~ Husband Wife Imbalance

and Bipolar Disorder: A Case Report @

http://www.fiveelementtraining.com/article_2.html

Edited by Yen Hui

Sign in to follow this