Sign in to follow this  
z00se

Constipation

I'm after some ideas for fixing constipation in my 2 year old son. It is very bad, he has had especially bad for almost 2 months now. His bum bleeds when he poos and he only poos every 5 days or so when my wife pokes her finger in his bum to try to dig some poo out and really forces him to poo. He hates trying to poo now. I think his colon must have stretched from all this constipation making it easier to become constipated. I need to try to fix this as soon as possible so he doesn't try holding it it making the problem worse.

We have given him suppositories and baby laxatives for a week to clear out any dried poo in his colon (we needed both, one on their own wasn't enough) weening him off those meds. Then we gave him a pear every day to cool and moisten lung / large intestine, and i did chi nei tsang stomach massage, especially massaging under his ribs along the large intestine from his right to left side and down. After we stopped the laxatives n suppositories he was alright for about a week until we ran out of pears and he went a couple of days without, and i started just massaging him every 2-3 days, then it's just gone back to square one again. We've done this 3 times now, this is the third time and the laxative is hardly doing anything anymore.

This kid eats healthy food, with heaps of fiber. He eats fruit every day and quiet alot of veges every day. He has wheat bix for breaky and all the veges so heaps of fiber. My wife is always making him drink water too. He does eat a bit of white rice but honestly i doubt the difference between brown or white rice is going to make such a big difference that this super dry poo will become moist.

I can't feel his pulse because his wrist is too small and i can't get a feel for it. But he is a very excitable child and everyone comments on how happy he is. I think he's probably a bit on the yang side though because he will never just drift off to sleep in the car, or if there is anything happening around him. He's full of energy all the time, not like some other kids his age who are happy to just sit and eat.

Next i want to try to stop him drinking milk incase he is allergic, because i read that milk can cause this problem. Apart from that i'm out of ideas. It must be something that is causing this problem because i don't think his diet wouldn't be the cause, and especially since he is so young.

Want to get him some zeng ye tang herbal formula too but i don't think thats a long term solution.

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know. Thanks.

I can't offer TCM perspective, just that we have battled similar problem for a long time. Our little one ended up having fissures which has caused further defecation avoidance. It's important that fissure doesn't turn into chronic one as those are hard to heal. We ended up treated in a dedicated hospital department that specializes in this issue in our country.

To heal the fissure, we were giving her Duphalac/lactulose so that poo is not hard and doesn't increase the fissure. Then some ointments. They suggested different defecation posture - hanging legs, as if almost standing.

After defecation not to use toilet paper but water, then massage with ointment - Infadolan, Calcium panthotenicum. Massaging rectum two times a day with circular movements.

Not prescribed by doctor but there was also some new type of ointment released on the market around that time that was particularly intended to heal inflamations in moist environment, that might have helped as well.

Thank you cat we are fine all is good now, it was a bit long, but there are much worse things.

Also our friends had a babygirl with similar issue, it's not uncommon.

Hope everything will work well for z00se and family.

As cat wrote about, there was also a relaxation and psychological aspect to it, that we worked on too, just I don't have words to express well on that aspect thus didn't mention it, but working on improvement in communication with the child and on our own "evolution" was part of it.

Edited by Leif
  • Like 1

Don't feed him grains anymore. And when you feed him vegetables try juicing it, raw unrefined vegetables are the best for your health because all of the digestive enzymes as well as nutrition is intact.

• Like 1

Yeah sounds like too much of the insoluable fiber -- you want more soluable fiber. Too much wheat dries out the colon.

interesting, i think this is related to what i was going to say

which is: i have the same issue, and eating TOO MUCH fiber tends to make my stools too hard and causes me to have constipation

Yeah what the books recommend is pears for constipation - it's also what qigong master Chunyi Lin recommends - pears are very yin and then clear out the colon.

My little 2 year old brother has this every once in while when he drinks milk too often. We'll feed prune juice or start feeding him milk less often.

Thanks for your answers. I will try to give him some prune juice and vege juice and keep the massages going, see if it makes him better. Giving him soy milk too now instead of milk so hopefully all together it works.

Thanks again!

Just thought i would follow up incase somebody else has any trouble. He got a cold and my wife being a worry wart got him antibiotics. These antibiotics made him poo more and even digest food much faster, he was eating like a horse. After one week they ran out and then we just really encouraged him to poo each day, saying to him to make a snake to scare his sister etc. Really made a big deal out of it and how good he was when he pooed. Within a few weeks of him pooing every day he hasn't really had any more trouble. We still make a big deal out of it and encourage him lots and it's been working for a couple of months now without any medicine. Just shows the problem was in him holding it in because he didn't want to stop playing!

All the medicine in the world can't fix a problem you create yourself, especially when you resist the medicine!

He is prolly really tense. If he has a yang personality it will be difficult on the earth (his stomach). He prolly runs around everywhere and has alot of energy. You want more yin in his life. Relaxation (more sports, less stress/mind). I would highly recommend living somewhere near the ocean. If he has a yang personality and u guys live in dry area it will be hard on him.

All the diet stuff seems spot on...most people prolly disagree with me on this but I think sugar is helpful..

Just thought i would follow up incase somebody else has any trouble. He got a cold and my wife being a worry wart got him antibiotics. These antibiotics made him poo more and even digest food much faster, he was eating like a horse.

yes antibiotics will make people(and animals) eat more

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2012/08/do-antibiotics-make-us-fat

just remember antibiotics is like a poison used with care, you are also killing beneficial bacteria. If you trust western medicine only use them when a MD you trust prescribes them.

Also throw away the wheatabix! It's the most likely cause of constipation for him...

Foods to Avoid
Carbohydrates
Avoid foods high in fast releasing sugars such as unrefined grains, confectionary, cakes and biscuits since these foods promote dysbiosis. Avoid wheat especially wheat based breakfast cereals, wheat bran and pasta. In severe cases of constipation eliminating all gluten grains from the diet for at least 6 weeks.

from http://www.thefooddoctor.com/Constipation-Ahealth_fst_constipation/

Sign in to follow this