Sign in to follow this  
yondaime109

Dynamic tension = Chi kung while tensing = More jing or Chi?

I've been practicing these techniques on and off for 2 years from this book called "Dynamic Strength" by Harry Wong (Yes, That's his name).

The exercises require no weights or an sort of external resistance, Instead, You simply tense your muscles and move them through the full range of motion as if you were actually lifting a weight. It also states that as you lift you must concentrate on moving the Qi energy to the part of your body that you're working on.

I'm curious, This seems to be the same method some use for condensing their chi energy. Does that mean once this method is mastered you can learn to move jing freely through ought your body?

Whilst tension can be used in various qigong exercises it differs from the technique taught in the Harry Wong book which is designed for muscular development and increased strength.

I have myself used these techniques in the past and if you are interested you may want to take a look at http://transformetrics.com/ which features John Petersons books which will take you to another level. My own view is that you really need to add bodyweight exercises to tension techniques so as to strengthen the sinews. Tranformetrics is a really good mixture of dynamic tension and bodyweight drills.

I would also differentiate between muscle building and chi building exercises.

Bruce Frantzis writes a lot that tension actually blocks chi flow, and in some cases feeling of tensed strength is actually "false strength," rather than true chi based power.

Don't bother with dynamic tension if you want internal development

• Like 1

From my feeling it locks the chi in the muscle rather than smooth flow in the channels.

So even in some hard Qigong it's still not musclar tension, its the flow of chi that is powerful and causes vibration. The chi here feels solid and vibrant - it consolidates.

You will get a more "hollow" effect if you tense muscles.

I guess some brief dynamic tension would be fine to engage and tone the physical but IMO not good for internal power.

I remember Michael has some dynamic tension patterns can you tell us more about them RV?

Thanks Ish. On your question, you got me. (I don't remember everything from the workshops.) :P Take notes this weekend on his warmups and movements not included in his DVDs. There is much to learn!

Will do thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Jing can be trained many ways. Temple Style Tai Chi has a method as doesany other arts, Mantis Style Kung Fu, the Doo arts, etc.

I recommend you look into Hung Lung Hei Gung. It offers a few seated meds to collect energy and open channels and offers standing meds along with a moving tension form. It is quite wonderful and everytine I bring it up I ask myself why I'm not practicing it lol.

• Like 1

The tension should force qi through a certain route. Like water through a hose. Tension is a forceful method which is perfectly fine as long as you resonate with it.

The tension should force qi through a certain route. Like water through a hose. Tension is a forceful method which is perfectly fine as long as you resonate with it.

Yeah it's an interesting topic. My first post was too broad sweeping, just thinking about some Karetekas and Shaolin guys who think they are doing an internal form but they are just tensing hard and developing hollow power.

IMO even in Yi Jin Jing where post people seem to be tensing excessively, you should just be working with the natural tension the posture gives rather than adding more.

However as you said there are some methods where the proper instruction is to tense - think Mo Pai.

Do they work with dynamic tension in Temple Style H.uriahr?

No tension in temple style. Not like what this thread is talking about. The pressure is applied on the abdominal and pelvic are.

Some you guys are making it sound like tensing your muscles is a bad thing, Aren't you condensing the chi and turning into jing which will give you more force where ever you decide to concentrate it?

Tensing muscles is good thing, as Harry Wong teaches. Recommended. That said, some on the board are suggesting there are a different set of qigong techniques done in a completely relaxed manner that can help build jing.

Edited by Fu_doggy

Tensing muscles is good thing, as Harry Wong teaches. Recommended. That said, some on the board are suggesting there are a different set of qigong techniques done in a completely relaxed manner that can help build jing.

Yeah, But isn't this method a bit more efficient since your developing both your internal and external forces?

Yeah, But isn't this method a bit more efficient since your developing both your internal and external forces?

Efficiency is dependent solely upon the practitioner. Physical tension is great for some but not for others. I'm all for whatever works. If it resonates with you then keep it. Alchemically speaking, anytime you put something under pressure you transform it. Pressure =heat and vice versa so yes it's ok to keep doing it. Jing can be created many different ways. No one way is better than the other. It boils down to the individual. If you are getting benefits from a tension form that you are currently practicing then I highly advise that you speak with Sifu Hearfield. Snatch up his Red Dragon practice.

I'll second the suggestion that you may wish to ask the advice of Sifu Garry Hearfield (Warrior Body Buddha Mind). Whatever he says you can take to the bank.

Sign in to follow this