Perceiver

Nasty side effects from the Microcosmic Orbit - what am I doing wrong?

Hi guys

Hope you can help me with an answer to something that is really eating away at my quality of life..

I recently started doing the Microcosmic Orbit about three weeks ago. I started the exercise as I wanted to manage my kundalini syndrome. About two years ago I got a "minor" kundalini release, and since then I have had to stay away from concentration, relaxation exercises and meditation - because they would increase the energy and give me insomnia.

I started doing the MCO as I had been instructed that it would cure this symptom by grounding the energy inside ones body. I've been doing it daily, and I must admit that it feels like it's doing the opposite: More energy is being released in my body, and my insomnia has worsened. It's at the point now where I'm unable to take naps anymore, and I sleep so bad that I don't have energy to read/write, be creative or social..

My taoist teacher has suggested I try and run the exercise in reverse - up the front and down the spine, so as to stimulate more water production in my system, to counter the fire production. Maybe this will help.. But so far the same has happened as when I've done concentration exercises before: The energy is boosted, which results in insomnia.

My question is: Is this "normal"? Is it to be expected and will it fade as I become more experienced in these exercises? Have you experienced something like this yourselves, and would you know what to do?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated, as it's really starting to affect my quality of life..

Hi Perceiver,

I'm no expert on managing kundalini so salt well and all that....but it doesn't sound like the microcosmit practice is working for you. I'd shelve it for now. It could theoretically be grounding as you're moving the energy back down as well as up. My experience, however, is that I move things much more efficiently up than down so the grounding effect doesn't always happen. Perhaps this is the case for you as well; I think it is for a lot of people.

I don't have personal experience with them but the KAP folks always get mentioned as people who are expert on advising about kundalini issues. If you haven't, I'd consider contacting them for been-there-done-that personal advice.

Hope you can help me with an answer to something that is really eating away at my quality of life..

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated, as it's really starting to affect my quality of life..

How does that affecting your quality of life....??? Physically or mentally......??? It seems to me may be both. Can you give more details. You do not have to publicize if you so desire. Thanks.

• Like 1

You could try a lower, micro-microcosmic orbit, circulating only in the lower belly, and finishing very definitely in the Huiyin area. You have to close the meditation securely, no matter how you do it.

But, how exactly are you doing your MCO in the first place? There are a lot of approaches to this.

Stop doing MCO. It will raise Kundalini.

Okay, but I was actually informed that the MCO is an exercise that could ground the energy, as you bring it back to your belly at the end?..

How does that affecting your quality of life....??? Physically or mentally......??? It seems to me may be both. Can you give more details. You do not have to publicize if you so desire. Thanks.

I feel bad when I get up in the morning - my muscles have started aching from the lack of sleep. I don't feel energized, I only have energy for lying at the couch. And yes, it's affecting my mood too - I I don't have energy for doing the things in life I'd like to do..

You can try Kundalini Support Network:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/KundaliniSupportNetwork/

they might even have a list of what to do to keep things smoother, sent upon subscription (not completely sure about this)

Thanks, but they were actually the ones who suggested me to try the MCO in the first place.. ;-). Seems to be working for other people, just not for me.. Or rather: It is working in the sense that it's giving me certain benefits, but it's just raising my energy levels and insomnia, which is the problem I've had with all concentration exercises since the kundalini episode..

Once you get the feeling of energy rising up the spine on inhale and falling down the front with exhale get rid of concentration and visualization or leading this energy. You don't need that tool any more.

Get a good feel for the descending channel even tilt 5% forward. Too much energy staying in the head region meaning too much attention,concentration of something that is already occurring completely natural just be aware of your energy that's all.

If you have negative reactions stop the exercise for now and get some sleep.

• Like 1

they were actually the ones who suggested me to try the MCO in the first place

On a quick search in that group I have only found two somewhat relevant recent posts (but it's completely possible that I might have missed other posts on topic) both saying that MCO is not grounding, eg. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/KundaliniSupportNetwork/message/21951

In KAP aka Kundalini Awakening Process course, MCO is the major part of the instructions on how to raise kundalini.

It might perhaps cure some of the kundalini symptoms in terms that it will clear blockages, but clearing blockages and connecting energy centers helps to raise kundalini further.

(But if you wish to continue on the kundalini path and raise it further and to have a smoother ride, that would be another case, I realize I might have misunderstood your first post not sure whether you wish to just ground or also to minimize the chances of any further kundalini raising).

Edited by Leif

You could try a lower, micro-microcosmic orbit, circulating only in the lower belly, and finishing very definitely in the Huiyin area. You have to close the meditation securely, no matter how you do it.

But, how exactly are you doing your MCO in the first place? There are a lot of approaches to this.

That might be an idea yeah.. What is the Huiyian area? - I'm not familiar with that..

I'm doing the MCO in the following way:

• I start by visualizing a blue pearl below my navel inside the body. I focus on it for some time and then visualize a red sphere at my heart center, which contains all of my love and compassion. I then visualize it merging with the blue pearl and say "haaa" - 3 times.
  • Then I visualize a yellow sphere at my solar plexus, which contains all of my willpower. I then visualize it merging with the blue pearl and say "hooo" - 3 times
  • Then I visualize the energy in my intestines and sexual organs merging with the blue pearl and say "hummm" - 3 times
  • Then I visualize all 3 spheres merging with the blue pearl simultaneously and say "haa-hoo-hummm", 3 times (and one silent)
  • I then start spinning the blue pearl around in a forward motion inside my stomach, where it first touches below the navel, then at the perineum, the ming-men and then navel again. I do this in a quite fast spinning motion. I gradually expand the pearl until it is spinning along its own axis and is touching all three points. I usually feel my belly area getting quite "tight" when I do this. It feels as if there's a presence there.. I also invite a white earth dragon to merge with the pearl and let the dragon do the spinning (funky stuff, I know. But that's how I was taught it..)
  • Then I visualize a blue tube emerging from the pearl and going up my spine, over the head and down the front.
  • I then start leading the pearl up this tube from the spine, spinning it around its own axis, visualizing it being halfway into my body. One cycle usually takes maybe a minute, and I am very concentrated while doing this. I bring it down the front and repeat the cycle
  • In the end, usually after 3-4 cycles, I take it back to my belly and spin it around in a forward motion. I instruct the dragon to do it 72 times - I don't count it myself.. It usually takes a minute or so.. Then I pull the tube back in (visualize it), say "haa-hoo-humm" and then open my eyes..

Here are my own thoughts of what could be wrong:

1. Since the kundalini episode, I have always had unpleasant energy spikes after doing just about any concentration exercise. So maybe this is to be expected, and as I become more experienced, the energy will become more grounded?
  2. I am using too much concentration to do the exercise. I should just try and make it simpler: Fx not visualize the spinning motion while circling the orbit, and try and relax into this exercise
  3. The MCO does not actually ground energy, so this exercise is wrong for me (can this really be true?)
  4. I have some sick chi that needs to be cleared out first using the 6 healing sounds. This will solve the problem
  5. I am running too much fire, and need to reverse the orbit so the water element is strengthened, which will cool the energy down (= my teacher's advise..)

On a quick search in that group I have only found two somewhat relevant recent posts, both saying that MCO is not grounding, eg. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/KundaliniSupportNetwork/message/21951

But I might have of course missed the one they wrote to you.

In KAP aka Kundalini Awakening Process course, MCO is the major part of the instructions on how to raise kundalini.

It might perhaps cure some of the kundalini symptoms in terms that it will clear blockages, but clearing blockages helps to raise kundalini.

Yep, but that post was written by a woman who has never trained in the MCO herself ;-). And yes, the MCO is the standard exercise suggested to people with kundalini in there..

My teacher had his own kundalini spontanouesly aroused in the 70s, and has used qigong to heal himself.. So that's why I thought it might work, since he recommended it for me..

Once you get the feeling of energy rising up the spine on inhale and falling down the front with exhale get rid of concentration and visualization or leading this energy. You don't need that tool any more.

Get a good feel for the descending channel even tilt 5% forward. Too much energy staying in the head region meaning too much attention,concentration of something that is already occurring completely natural just be aware of your energy that's all.

If you have negative reactions stop the exercise for now and get some sleep.

Thanks, but the thing is that this exercise is supposed to be "my way out" :). I have had to put all of my dreams and ambitions on hold for the past two years, because whenever I would engage in bouts of concentration, the energy levels would rise.. I had really hoped the MCO would do the trick, as people said it would.. So I'm willing to give it some more time.. And I'm not sure how much it would help if I stopped the exercise - I tried that for a few days some weeks ago and the insomnia persisted, even worsened. It seems like the energy has been increased in power since I started training in this..

What have you done for foundational practices? And for how long, also. How much do you utilize them in a given session, what portions? It doesnt sound like you have done enough of them, or kept them up enough...no offense intended, just speaking frankly.

See posts around here on stilling the heart mind, longevity breathing, my correlating musings on the cranials nerves even...it sounds like you need to establish a superlative deep stillness in order to more effectively integrate the energies. Then once you've felt some result from it, perhaps add back in the more active things.

/\ :)

roight! I just made a post on that recently, too

http://thetaobums.com/topic/28693-attaining-emptiness-constant-reduction/#entry441496

Edited by joeblast

Could I ask what you mean by "close" the meditation securely?.. Not entirely sure what you mean?..

What have you done for foundational practices? And for how long, also. How much do you utilize them in a given session, what portions? It doesnt sound like you have done enough of them, or kept them up enough...no offense intended, just speaking frankly.

See posts around here on stilling the heart mind, longevity breathing, my correlating musings on the cranials nerves even...it sounds like you need to establish a superlative deep stillness in order to more effectively integrate the energies. Then once you've felt some result from it, perhaps add back in the more active things.

/\ :)

roight! I just made a post on that recently, too

http://thetaobums.com/topic/28693-attaining-emptiness-constant-reduction/#entry441496

No worries mate, none taken :).

I must admit I've done 0 preparation exercises - just started the MCO 3 weeks ago as that was the one most frequently recommended to me.. And I have very little experience with spiritual practices in general.Unfortunately I can't mediate or do relaxation exercises without getting these very unpleasant immediate side effects. And can't do the MCO either, it would seem.. Maybe I should start doing the 6 healing sounds and inner smile first for a while?..

But I'm just not sure if it wou

I agree with Gerard. What you describe will, most likely, make your problem worse. Working with this kind of problems professionally, I would recomend learning show to sink the qi without pretty pictures in your mind, and with focus om the physical body rather than om your qi.

Hsing-I is actually a good, solid advice!

• Like 1

Hi guys

I recently started doing the Microcosmic Orbit about three weeks ago. I started the exercise as I wanted to manage my kundalini syndrome. About two years ago I got a "minor" kundalini release, and since then I have had to stay away from concentration, relaxation exercises and meditation - because they would increase the energy and give me insomnia.

I started doing the MCO as I had been instructed that it would cure this symptom by grounding the energy inside ones body. I've been doing it daily, and I must admit that it feels like it's doing the opposite: More energy is being released in my body, and my insomnia has worsened. It's at the point now where I'm unable to take naps anymore, and I sleep so bad that I don't have energy to read/write, be creative or social..

My taoist teacher has suggested I try and run the exercise in reverse - up the front and down the spine, so as to stimulate more water production in my system, to counter the fire production. Maybe this will help.. But so far the same has happened as when I've done concentration exercises before: The energy is boosted, which results in insomnia.

My question is: Is this "normal"? Is it to be expected and will it fade as I become more experienced in these exercises? Have you experienced something like this yourselves, and would you know what to do?

These sensations are not normal for MCO---

My suggestion:

Stop practicing what you think MCO, Kundalini is...

For getting a good sleep:

eat an oatmeal-porridge (use only water and oat)

While realizing that you are breathing in - just focus on left feet / right feet...

Visualize concentring spirals - clockwise and counter-clockwise....

While realizing that you are breathing out - just let go any focus...

--

After having sleep and being refreshed - hike outdoors as long you like...

--

Edited by Riyue

In MCO its imperative that you bring the energy back to the LDT in order to close the form and make sure energy isn't swimming elsewhere in the body where it can do harm. Are you closing?

• Like 1

Have you found the thread helpful yet?

This might be helpful, but really, this should be assessed in person so this might miss the target really good.

Why did Gerard and myself recommend Hsing-I?

Because Hsing-I, taught under an acceptable proficient teacher, will teach you to close down and ground your body and your energy gates before you open up. Santi and five element training will connect and mend an energy system that is, instead of using a better term, "broken".

If your energy system is weak but ok, then the microcosmic orbit is used to activate a safety mechanism (among other things, I know so we do not need 10 000 more examples here) before doing shall we say more interesting things with your energy system.

But if your energy system is messed up, you might want to work on other channels first.

All extraordinary channels can be used/are used to store Qi when there is too much somewhere. In this case, working with the downward flow, as in the right and left branches of the thrusting channel, might be more useful.

As in feeling (not visualizing, because when you visualize, energy tend to move up) your physical weight pressing down gently, as in feeling butter/honey/whatever slowly flow down. Feeling, did i write feeling?

As in feeling everything from your feet to your lower dantien, while opening and closing in multiple ways.

Then is the question, why is your energy system messed up.

Doing things wrong is naturally a bad thing. Everyone seems to go into spiritual stuff, not caring if their system can take it or not.

There are also other reasons.

Trauma, suffering from anxiety, stuff like that.

If thats the case, you could use individual, live instructions from someone experienced in the area.

something that is really eating away at my quality of life..

I started the exercise as I wanted to manage my kundalini syndrome. About two years ago I got a "minor" kundalini release, and since then I have had to stay away from concentration, relaxation exercises and meditation - because they would increase the energy and give me insomnia.

It's at the point now where I'm unable to take naps anymore, and I sleep so bad that I don't have energy to read/write, be creative or social..

My taoist teacher has suggested I try and run the exercise in reverse - up the front and down the spine, so as to stimulate more water production in my system, to counter the fire production.

Thanks, but the thing is that this exercise is supposed to be "my way out" :). I have had to put all of my dreams and ambitions on hold for the past two years, because whenever I would engage in bouts of concentration, the energy levels would rise.. I had really hoped the MCO would do the trick, as people said it would.. So I'm willing to give it some more time.. And I'm not sure how much it would help if I stopped the exercise - I tried that for a few days some weeks ago and the insomnia persisted, even worsened. It seems like the energy has been increased in power since I started training in this..

I'm going to take a wild potshot and guess that at some point you felt your sexual urges had caused some trauma, so you decided you needed to mentally suppress your entire 2nd chakra/kidneys complex (creativity, ambition, will, lifeforce, relationships, water, etc). And with your kundalini rising, so has your subconscious fear of that part of you reawakening...and your mind's growing struggle to divert its energy and keep it "safely" down at bay. Hence, you're increasingly stuck (overenergized) in your head and depleted down there.

If this might be the case, then your best bet is to focus SPECIFICALLY on clearing out your issues/blockages there. There are various modalities for that (I currently prefer a combination of bodywork and psychoanalysis). But general, generic practices are not going to target such a problem with any expediency or efficiency. This is what a genuine teacher/healer/guide is for - to "read" your exact problem and help prescribe a customized solution.

17858591f0fe259556659a1351f81793859e590c

Okay seriously - mco takes you from the mortal to the immortal level (just a few things of the hat, it mixes yin and yang, changes chi to shen, removes all negative principles, and transformes the xia tian into the golden pill)

Well, the macrocosmic orbit represents more of a spiritual awakening (often taking 10+ years after the MCO with limited sexual frequency, on average).

Whereas the microcosmic orbit mostly just enhances health & healing (and often taking 3+ years, on average)..

• Like 1