子泰

Qigong teacher in Shanghai

Dear bums,

Β 

I feel that there aren't many places to post this, and feel that this place has the most people viewing it as opposed to my thread in the lobby. If any mod can move this to the appropriate place then please do so! I am looking for a teacher in Shanghai, since I will be staying here for at least 2 more years. My Chinese isn't really proficient enough to actively ask and search for a teacher by myself just yet. I have been searching in English and asking friends and acquaintances with not many results. Are there any teachers that you guys would recommend that are staying in Shanghai? Thanks!

I think this is perhaps a better choice for general discussion, as China is home to many, many, many forms of qigong that are not Daoist at all. Teachers in some lineages (Zhineng Gong comes to mind) even disagree heavily with numerous Daoist teachings.

Β 

At any rate, you might consider looking into ε›žζ˜₯功 that is taught at the Shanghai Qigong Research Institute (δΈŠζ΅·ζ°”εŠŸη ”η©Άζ‰€). It is in fact a Daoist-derived form of qigong, tracing its roots back to Huashan or another holy mountain, I forget which exactly. To give an example of its efficacy, I once met a Huichun Gong teacher in Shanghai and immediately doubted the efficacy of the method, thinking that he looked like a pretty unhealthy 50-year-old. Joke was on me, as I soon found out the man was well into his eighties, and his teacher, not only older but still active and younger looking! I briefly practiced a bit of Huichun Gong at one point and found it very enjoyable, but I simply did not have the time to pursue it in addition to all of my other practices.

Β 

I know of other teachers, but the Huichun Gong taught at Shanghai Qigong Research Institute represents the only setting I know of where you might find some English-language teaching, teachers with long years of experience, and regular classes. One thing to note: Hui Chungong does not teach qigong medicine, ie using your qigong to heal other people.

Edited by Walker
  • Like 2

Thanks Walker, I am indeed looking for teaching that has its roots in Daoism, I forgot to put it in my post. I am checking out their site right now and it seems that the institute is quite close to where I live (3 blocks!). Jing gong caught my eye on their English lessons list, since I am retaining Jing at the moment. I am willing and am picking up Chinese at a steady pace right now, but I have had a few foreign friends from various countries where we were able to communicate with only broken Chinese at my time here in Shanghai, so I do not mind having a teacher that only speaks Chinese. The main problem in looking for a teacher is that I don't know where to start, hence me asking this forum.

Edited by dazed

ε›žζ˜₯功(Return to Spring Method) is a method of Chi Kung which suppose to be helping one to return to one's youth.

The first of the four reasons is Spring. It symbolized "youth" in the Chinese thinking.

Dear bums,

Β 

I feel that there aren't many places to post this, and feel that this place has the most people viewing it as opposed to my thread in the lobby. If any mod can move this to the appropriate place then please do so! I am looking for a teacher in Shanghai, since I will be staying here for at least 2 more years. My Chinese isn't really proficient enough to actively ask and search for a teacher by myself just yet. I have been searching in English and asking friends and acquaintances with not many results. Are there any teachers that you guys would recommend that are staying in Shanghai? Thanks!

Β 

I live about 2.5hrs from Shanghai, in Zhejiang, Huzhou city. A bus ride will get you here from any of the Shanghai stations.I frequent Shanghai, for I have family there. I teach both Daoist and Buddhist methods of internal cultivation.

Β 

[email protected] if you are willing to have a non-Chinese teacher. :)

Β 

Peace,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 1

Lin, I will send you an email :) I hope we can work something out because having a fellow bum as a teacher would be very interesting!

Β 

Looking forward to having some company out here :) My small city is sweet and quiet. A nice park next to my home, with good tea shops, cheap, over the lake, and the occasional "Gangnam Style" song playing in the background.. HAHAHA

Then, there is my front yard which is private and big enough to have fun and practice.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 1

Hello there,

Β 

I'd be interested to know what happened finally. I just moved to Shanghai and I'd like to learn some Qigong or similar practices.

Β 

Cheers,

Andy

Hello there,

Β 

I'd be interested to know what happened finally. I just moved to Shanghai and I'd like to learn some Qigong or similar practices.

Β 

Cheers,

Andy

hey, i can't help you there, sorry. i used to see a teacher that lived in huzhou 2 hours away from shanghai, but hes moved to zhuhai now.

• Like 1

hey, i can't help you there, sorry. i used to see a teacher that lived in huzhou 2 hours away from shanghai, but hes moved to zhuhai now.

Β 

Β 

Yup! And you have come a long way in only almost 2yrs now.

Β 

Anywho, I am in Zhuhai now. If anyone is interested in stuff, let me know. :)