Meridian_Man

Does your career inhibit finding the way

All,

Something has been bothering me lately. I work in a technical field where my daily life is very formulaic. And I account for my time to the hour.

It seems like this is not in the spirit of spontanaity and actionless action.

It seems like if I were a novelist or photographer or another professional with more freedom I would not have this conflict.

I'm curious if anyone else struggles with this.

All help is appreciated.

The fact that you have an internal stuggle regarding your work, is the struggle itself. Focusing on the work itself would be focusing on something external. Wu Wei is attainable regardless of work.

I work in IT. Just my 2 cents. I haven't attained a stated of intent and purpose regarding vocation yet myself. But it is definitely my intention to reach that level.

• Like 1

Make time for such outside of work?

We live in such a mechanical world now... + such little free time...

Make time? somehow... hmm

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

Edited by skydog

I think we are reaching critical... how much longer can we hold out hm?

The only thing left is music

ahhhh

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

The answer is of course yes for most people. In fact, to follow the path, you have to overcome your career. That's how things are. Unless in your career you are actively practicing the dharma. That would be considered a very noble profession.

Work does cut into hobbies for sure.

Hmm...hobbies? :) Spiritual enlightenment, with the implication to change the world and your life entirely, is a past time hobby? :)

My job is pretty technical, and in some sense, I'm in my head for most of my day.

But on the other hand, that allows me to make enough money so I can go places and relax freely, acting spontaneously in those moments. And yes, to take time off when I feel sick, or just don't feel like going to work, or take time off to go to cultivation related events.

Some artisan types live the bohemian, live in the moment, type of lifestyle. Others are scraping by paycheck to paycheck, working multiple jobs to cover their lifestyle because their hobby doesn't pay enough to live. That's pretty stressful and inhibiting wu wei.

I was in a spot where I wanted to kill half of the people that worked under me and then all my boss...so I quit. I'm currently in a "career transition" as I like to call it. I'm so happy and stress free :)

• Like 1

I'll just say here what I said on the post discussing progress for married people. It was for reasons like this and that, that monasteries were formed lol.

The answer is of course yes for most people. In fact, to follow the path, you have to overcome your career. That's how things are. Unless in your career you are actively practicing the dharma. That would be considered a very noble profession.

I don't get it. If that's the point, should everybody follow careers on medicine, healing and other "good-doing" professions?

We have a society that is delicately connected in every activity. Our chances of survival are bigger than our pre-historic counterparts because of this factor. Then, why not living on it?

From my (limited) perspective, you don't need to be away from the entire world to feel gratitude, happiness and joy. You can cultivate these feelings in an everyday life, with everyday routines, if you are aligned to it -- and share them with the world around. Of course, that's just what I believe.

I believe that following our passions (I'm by no means stating "being a slave of it"), as risky as they are, because once you are connected to it in career, you seem to flow with it. It's a great way to get closer to wu wei, if not being on it.

4bsolute gave a good quote on a different subject, but in the end, it relates so much with this post:

And this is different for each individual. Realized or not yet realized. Each one creates his or her own reality. For the "good" or the "bad", whatever you would call it here on this plain.

• Like 1

I don't get it. If that's the point, should everybody follow careers on medicine, healing and other "good-doing" professions?

We have a society that is delicately connected in every activity. Our chances of survival are bigger than our pre-historic counterparts because of this factor. Then, why not living on it?

From my (limited) perspective, you don't need to be away from the entire world to feel gratitude, happiness and joy. You can cultivate these feelings in an everyday life, with everyday routines, if you are aligned to it -- and share them with the world around. Of course, that's just what I believe.

I believe that following our passions (I'm by no means stating "being a slave of it"), as risky as they are, because once you are connected to it in career, you seem to flow with it. It's a great way to get closer to wu wei, if not being on it.

4bsolute gave a good quote on a different subject, but in the end, it relates so much with this post:

If you don't understand, you obviously not aware that your so-called career choice was not made by you but imposed by the world and society expectations. When was the last time you remember your parents and friends telling you to seek spiritual enlightenment and to become liberated, and to become a defender of the Dharma? :) How have you practiced the dharma and to help other sentient beings to become liberated in your career? If you are in your mid 30s and begin to feel unmotivated about your job, you would know why. Both worlds can only exist in you only if you have seen the Path, usually in isolation and with great sacrifice (because you have to penetrate the skandha of forms or the illusion and suffering in clinging onto forms) , but decided and vowed to follow the Mahayana path, to use your wisdom and merit to help other sentient beings to become liberated. This is called the middle path in Buddhism.

If you don't understand, you obviously not aware that your so-called career choice was not made by you but imposed by the world and society expectations. When was the last time you remember your parents and friends telling you to seek spiritual enlightenment and to become liberated, and to become a defender of the Dharma? :)

I believe the world is not, by any means, restricting you to anything. You may or may not act, according to some beliefs that might or might not happen. And even if your parents and friends have never suggested you to become liberated from society's demands, it's not their obligation either -- at least, if you are responsible for the way you live, and the things you experience. Sooner or later, one who lives in society gets to live by his/hers own ways, and with that come choices to follow these expectations you mentioned, or trying to find another happier way of living.

How have you practiced the dharma and to help other sentient beings to become liberated in your career? If you are in your mid 30s and begin to feel unmotivated about your job, you would know why. Both worlds can only exist in you only if you have seen the Path, usually in isolation and with great sacrifice (because you have to penetrate the skandha of forms or the illusion and suffering in clinging onto forms) , but decided and vowed to follow the Mahayana path, to use your wisdom and merit to help other sentient beings to become liberated. This is called the middle path in Buddhism.

I believe I am practicing dharma (I'm not familiar on using buddhist therms, I myst admit) by following a career on what makes me happy by doing it, regardless of the "society demand" of having a rich job. In my experience, it applies to follow my dreams on a creative career. By following this path, I met many people who were afraid of following what made them happy because, at some moment, "society" would be against them. And by sharing my experiences with them, they started to gather themselves toward careers that were closer to wu-wei.

Luckly for me, I had not needed to reach my mid 30s to realize that I seek a life of liberation and happiness. And I'm not the only one in this wave -- there are many people that are starting to see that society's demands aren't the means to experience liberation.

You mentioned it right, at some certain point in everyday life,one may realize that the clinging and obtaining cycle of the so-called "social values" (i.e.: money, reputation, fame, power, etc) won't make him/her fulfilled. When one realizes this, he/she may start directing a life to besides these "obligations," and then, start to cease the cronic dissatisfaction that is usually experienced.

Thanks for adding this much to the subject :D