Kasuku

SUNN YEE GONG - COMMENTS ATTAINMENTS?

I also feel like this system is a very worthwhile practice but actually learning it from wbbm is so inconsistent and scattered I have looked elsewhere for a different practice. Such a shame.

• Like 1

I also feel like this system is a very worthwhile practice but actually learning it from wbbm is so inconsistent and scattered I have looked elsewhere for a different practice. Such a shame.

Such has been my experience.

I guess I'm going back to Flying Phoenix. I used to love Flying Phoenix. To be honest I believe it is better at healing than SYG. But SYG has some other nice things. The only 2 problems that I have with FP is that it takes a much longer time to do (2+hours), especially in the beginning 1 - 2 years, untill you progress to DVD 4, when you do the long form meditation. The other problem was that I often had trouble sleeping, because of the huge energy boost that it gave me. I used to practice it in the afternoon because I do another practice in the morning.

I do wish Sifu Gary pay more attention to customer/students. I would love to buy WBBM's "Golden Flying Phoenix" but no response from him or Sifu Christer yet. Before, I was interested to purchase Sunn Yee Gung but I let it pass because lack of response from Sifu Gary. Probable financial income but...

Edited by ShivaShakti

Definitely poor communication from the WBBM people at times including some questions being answered and others ignored and some being answered in some kind of manner which made the answers cryptic instead of just answering the question in plain language. Not what is expected from a lineage holder. I think Terry Dunn does it how it is supposed to be done in every aspect of his work. So then when we do business with someone who cannot function at that high standard we are naturally disappointed.

I have seen some really good looking qigong dvds but at times the instructor just does not know how to teach sufficiently. No excuse for blowing a breath percentage, pun unintended :D . 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2013 at 5:07 AM, Warrior Body Buddha Mind said:

Look at a baby, sits before he can stand, after standing learns to move!

You can work on a seated meditation or a series but as I always tell my students do one good until you understand what is happening inside and out. I would also so a seated & a standing e.g.: do the 1st seated & 1st standing static meditation so u will match them. Do as much as you can everyday, follow the instructions on breath percentage which is described in my 1st seated DVD cause the rest I share the percentage but not how to do it, the reason for this is everyone should start from the beginning and I give you all the tools on the 1st DVD. The second seated which will be out soon will only have the % breathing on the screen as we think everyone is following from the beginning.

Sifu Hearfield, on which dvd is the first standing static meditation of sunn yee gong? Thank you.

9 hours ago, MBZ said:

Sifu Hearfield, on which dvd is the first standing static meditation of sunn yee gong? Thank you.

Sorry to inform you, but he is no longer on this forum. You have to contact him on his site or via his close friend, Sifu Terry Dunn.

11 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Sorry to inform you, but he is no longer on this forum. You have to contact him on his site or via his close friend, Sifu Terry Dunn.

Thanks bro, do you know by any chance?

I should mention here if anyone is looking to study syg look for the original tapes of gm doo wai doing them , hearfield has changed the forms and added his own kind of stamp to them meaning to me they are not authentic syg.

watch doo wai doing the same form as hearfield and notice the difference as they are quite big !

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 1:29 AM, MBZ said:

Thanks bro, do you know by any chance?

I'm sorry I did not see this earlier, but if you want to get in touch with him, his website is www.warriorbodybuddhamind.com

I tried to have a live internet chat with Hearfield a few years ago and when I asked questions, his internet connection disconnected. This happened 100% of the time. Far to often to be a coincidence!

I have several of his videos and the audio quality is not great. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ralis said:

I tried to have a live internet chat with Hearfield a few years ago and when I asked questions, his internet connection disconnected. This happened 100% of the time. Far to often to be a coincidence!

I have several of his videos and the audio quality is not great. 

He is hard to reach in general and I have yet to connect with him, but Terry Dunn regularly communicates with him. 

I find it’s common for a lot of internal teachers to give more effort to long time and indoor students, and how you characterize him sounds like a couple of my teachers who apparently did that to test students in the beginning. It’s annoying as hell, but when I discovered the reason, it made sense, though I don’t agree with it.

10 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

He is hard to reach in general and I have yet to connect with him, but Terry Dunn regularly communicates with him. 

I find it’s common for a lot of internal teachers to give more effort to long time and indoor students, and how you characterize him sounds like a couple of my teachers who apparently did that to test students in the beginning. It’s annoying as hell, but when I discovered the reason, it made sense, though I don’t agree with it.

I usually see if someone is playing mind games with me within a few minutes. A very good friend of mine said that I am gullible for about 5 seconds which is all the time allowed for mind games.:lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ralis said:

I usually see if someone is playing mind games with me within a few minutes. A very good friend of mine said that I am gullible for about 5 seconds which is all the time allowed for mind games.:lol:

You are a lot better than me, but maybe because I’m an optimist or just that stubborn! Ha!

Like the X-Files’ Moulder, “I want to believe!”

1 minute ago, Earl Grey said:

You are a lot better than me, but maybe because I’m an optimist or just that stubborn! Ha!

Like the X-Files’ Moulder, “I want to believe!”

Been burned a few times in my younger days which taught me great lessons. Don't care to repeat!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ralis said:

Been burned a few times in my younger days which taught me great lessons. Don't care to repeat!

I am probably more Beetle Bailey while you come across as Joker from Full Metal Jacket in that regard, which is kind of funny given your avatar (and meant as a compliment).

Actually, a lot of internal masters are weird, there’s no getting around that and it’s not just the western mind, it’s that level of skill that makes them live on a totally different level of reality that almost feels like drinking some electric kool-aid acid test. The key is seeing how much you’re willing to put up with and if that teacher actually has the skill you want to learn or is just another scammer!

Gary is easily contactable on fb messenger, via his WBBM group. I've spoken to him a few times and I wouldn't say he's evasive, he's just of the old school mentality of 'practice it and find out for yourself'. It might be because he perhaps hasn't had much higher education and doesn't have the words or concepts to express some of the profound spiritual or physiological changes that these practices can bring about. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a high attainment, it's just more of a body-level understanding than one based on conceptual knowledge.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Gary is easily contactable on fb messenger, via his WBBM group. I've spoken to him a few times and I wouldn't say he's evasive, he's just of the old school mentality of 'practice it and find out for yourself'. It might be because he perhaps hasn't had much higher education and doesn't have the words or concepts to express some of the profound spiritual or physiological changes that these practices can bring about. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a high attainment, it's just more of a body-level understanding than one based on conceptual knowledge.

right on there. I understand the logic behind the part where teachers in general are coy, but the mentality of finding out for oneself is as much a means of encouraging students to be active on their own and also being asked the same question that to accomplished adepts is the same as asking “What does it feel like to orgasm?” Or “What does the sensation of the sun beneath your feet feel like?” Because they’re not very easy to convey.

• Like 2

On 3. 10. 2019 at 12:06 AM, Bruce Qi said:

I should mention here if anyone is looking to study syg look for the original tapes of gm doo wai doing them , hearfield has changed the forms and added his own kind of stamp to them meaning to me they are not authentic syg.

watch doo wai doing the same form as hearfield and notice the difference as they are quite big !

It's also worth mention that there are some videos (ok, one at least... but one or twenty, effect is same) by GM himself, circulating out there, that were supposed to be done on purpose, to misdirect or punish certain student. 

Edited by Leif

On 1. 10. 2019 at 11:06 PM, MBZ said:

on which dvd is the first standing static meditation of sunn yee gong? Thank you.

I'm not sure whether they didn't release new DVDs since (IIRC there could have been some discussion about one of them needing a re-do), I had the first ones when they started, and on those DVD1 were sitting static and DVD2 standing static.

19 hours ago, Leif said:

It's also worth mention that there are some videos (ok, one at least... but one or twenty, effect is same) by GM himself, circulating out there, that were supposed to be done on purpose, to misdirect or punish certain student. That doesn't add to one's confidence either.

Do you mind saying which one? I've got a few Doo Wai dvds in my collection

Don't know further details, sorry, apart from what could be considered mostly rumors overheard on various websites in past  which only planted a seed at most, it's this post (end of the post) by sifu:

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/?page=114&tab=comments#comment-535299

and also this lengthy one:

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/?page=96&tab=comments#comment-455973

that both suggest that there might be some purposefully made-up videos flowing around.

Edited by Leif
  • Thanks 1

Sifu Garry is the publicly appointed lineage inheritor of SYG. He has all the knowledge you seek, whether basic or advanced. It's a matter of trust and perseverance that you get connected with him and demonstrate your dedication if you seek to progress in this system.

I doubt that Sifu Garry or any other dedicated instructor has much interest in speculation about what is true gongfu and what not in the context of what he himself practices or teaches.

Edited by virtue

Not connected to any recent discussion, but this thread feels like a good place to voice my opinion.

Quite often when seeing the GMDW family inherited arts mentioned around this forum I get a sense of spiritual McDonald's which is treated very cheaply: instant gratification, little connection to the genuine lineage, and bartering as if powerful meditation teachings were like hockey cards. Where is the reverence and sincerity?

Advanced yogis know that nothing is permanent and there are esoteric causal reasons for why practices appear in and disappear from the knowledge of mortal men. The key factor for disappearing is that there are no right-minded students to carry on the heritage. Look below what two advanced lineage masters have to say on this matter:

Sifu Jenny Lamb:

Since my Yigong teacher passed away, I can say now that I am the Yigong lineage holder, but so what? I am many things with countless encounters in this world; it does not mean I have to take every encounter to be my responsibility. All the practices, if there are true practitioners out there and take their practice seriously, there is no practice will be lost. You will be taught in unexpected ways. A teacher will be looking for you. If all the practices are out there but no one in their heart has any of its essence, that practice has already vanished from this world. Form does not mean much without essence and its manifestation. What people want is one thing, what people can give to obtain it is another. A spiritual practice is not a wanting method to soothe one’s momentary needs. Who cares one’s changeable needs? That is a root of suffering. All existence is based on needs and conditions. I learned by my own experience. If you are ready, you will not be passed over. Even humans do not see you, a higher being will find you, because your causal body is glowing which cannot be missed. Be a good practitioner. First of all, try to possess a good human quality: be honest, sincere, truthful, devoted, dedicated, trustworthy, kind and wise and persevere…

Sifu Terry Dunn:

Everyone buying relatively expensive videos from unauthorized--or even authorized Bok Fu Pai--websites should think about these  couple of very important classical adages in Chinese martial arts that I've discussed several times on this thread. 

The first one is: 

"When you are ready, the material will be made available to you."   That is, it will be literally given to you. You won't have to buy it at great expense and then wonder how to use it!

The second truth is: 

"The wrong person with the correct teaching (the truth) will still not benefit from it.  But the right person even with the wrong exercise (incomplete) will still make it work and derive benefit."

You had posted:

And are very nice. I wish I knew more about them, where they are from, from what larger BFP system, what level, etc.

That  info that you're asking about should be on the video to begin with.  That such basic info is not included in the video is a sign that the footage might have been gotten by the purveyor by illicit or dishonest means. 

Edited by virtue
links
  • Like 3