Kasuku

SUNN YEE GONG - COMMENTS ATTAINMENTS?

I think the confusion was all mine. I'm just relieved it is all cleared up now and I do appreciate how active you are on this blog. It makes a big difference. I am trying to understand what is the difference between SYG and Flying Phoenix? They seem so similar to me. Yet I realize there is a different feel to the energies from each of those 2 systems.

Edited by tao stillness

Hi Sihing Garry,

Great Thread. And congrats on the release of your SYG DVD's, which I've known about when you announced their release.

But believe it or not, I've been so pre-occupied with my business and legal battles that I just now today discovered this here SYG Thread.

I'd like to chime in here to affirm and emphasize what most folks know already: that SYG is entirely compatible with FP Qigong as they are both subsystems under the Bok Fu Pai Family system of GM Doo Wai. And that both systems are vast, and that it's purely up to the individual in terms of how much time and energy and learning capacity he/she has and wants to devote to one or both of these great and profound systems.

As for the post that I saw a few pages back that intended to offer an alternative DVD source for learning the SYG, and I guess to perhaps start a controversy over what DVD series to use as reference to learn SYG, it should be an absolute no-brainer for anyone with common sense as to what product to use:

(1) the DVD set authored by the instructor who GM Doo Wai has publicly recommended people to seek out and follow (on his myspace video) and to whom GM Doo Wai SPECIFICALLY CHOSE to preserve this system--in the same manner that he chose me to preserve the Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation system.

(2) the one made by the instructor who has practiced the SYG the most consistently as well as the longest, but with the richest background in the Bok Fu Pai system and major BFP subsystems before even starting it.

(3) the one made by the instructor who makes himself available and constructively engages every person who asks about the nuts and bolts of SYG training--whether student, instructor in another system, or curiosity seeker.

(4) and the most practical reason yet: the DVD product that's the most professionally produced and best organized in terms of delivering the most effective, systematized teaching of the SYG system.

(5) And finally, the DVD product that obviously comes from the heart-mind of the named inheritor of most of the Bok Fu Pai tradition (and btw, much more so than myself, although I have 3 big subsystems of BFP that I preserve) and the heart of a generous instructor with sterling character who provides a clean channel for learning the complete art.

Also addressed to the SYG readership: Sifu Garry and I have talked at great length and exchanged notes over a long time about how best to teach the advanced and even intermediate levels of the respective systems that we preserve (--FP, BDG, and 10,000 Buddhas Meditation System for me; SYG, Burning Palm, Omei BM, and more for Sifu Garry). And we are on the exact same page with the same font in that our intent in putting out our respective DVD series is to bring to the world a powerful and elegant healing and spiritual regimen, and teach the basic levels of the art to attract and develop serious students who then, as a matter of course, will complete their training with us in the traditional manner of Chinese martial culture--through private apprenticeship and one-on-one instruction--and eventually become instructors themselves. That is the most effective means that these cultural treasures can be preserved.

Similar to how Sifu Garry has produced his DVD set and release dates, I am planning to release a version of the Advanced FP Qigong. But the new DVD will not teach the breathing methods because the Advanced FP Meditations cross a threshold into the realm of "spiritual martial art" (san da). Thus serious students of FP will have to complete their training in the system in person. The same is so true in SYG, as seen in Sifu Garry's nice demonstration of the Level 1 Stage 4 Meditation on page 3. One cannot learn the internal principles of this form and understand what's going on internally (mentally and energetically)--just from a video (unless one is, of course a highly cultivated genius in Chinese martial and yogic art)

But as I've posted on the FP Chi Kung thread, there is only so much that one can publish in a book or a DVD series to teach a profound art like SYG or FP. Corrections have to be continually made--especially with beginners with little or no Chinese martial arts background. There may be that one prodigy that comes along who can see SYG on video, study it, and eventually grok the system. It would be the same likelihood as a Li Dong Feng finding Chen Tuan's manuals on Liu He Ba Fa on Huashan 300 years after Chen Tuan's passing, and being able to re-activate that art without a teacher. But the chances of that happening with SYG or FP--even with the advantages of modern video-- are infinitessimal. So Sifu Garry, like me, is putting out the instructional DVD's to get students started on learning the basics of the system and to get them on the path to ultimately becoming teachers. And if they have the "ren" for it, they will get the knowledge that completes their training years down the road in person through oral teachings, the explanation of symbols, and other modes that align their SYG practice with the Tao.

So I would refrain from being the least bit critical of how Sifu Hearfield has designed his instruction of the SYG system on DVD. You are all most fortunate just to have the information available as provided by him.

Glad I finally discovered this thread, Sihing!

Happy New Year to you and all your students.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 6

Hey guys , just wondering if anyone is still practicing ?

I stumbled onto some posts of mine from roughly a year ago and cant believe I stopped this ,

I was getting so much from this judging by my posts

so its back to basics :)

Just bought the full level one and looking forward to getting stuck back in.

Would love to hear from anyone who has kept it up .

Sorry I don't come here often lol glad you enjoying it, should be something everyone should do me thinks…beautiful internal healing and martial energetic system. GMDW told that this SYG was his families treasure, once you do it long enough you start to see and feel why, very beautiful powerful healthy qi kung.

• Like 1

To Sifu Garry,

I have been practicing level one since it came out. It has provided positive healing experiences and resulted in an increase in my health and overall wellbeing. I am known as the calm person at work ! During the practice I have felt very warm and at times very hot in particular places, which I wont go into. I was wondering when level two was coming out ? If it isn't coming out soon shall I continue with level one and add any other exercises i.e. the other Bak Fu Sunn Yee Gong exercises ?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Dave
  • Like 1

Sifu Christer will be doing level 2 very soon :) Glad that you getting positive results, love to see some of you guys and girls that are learning this to do some clips that way I can help you out.

This clip was a run through nice and smooth allowing the body to just be free….enjoy

This is excellent news ! Thanks for letting me know and thank you for the vid. I look forward to level two.

Just saw they are selling 2 meditations and only 18 mins long for full price , very steep !

Sadly This system will cost a fortune the way they are selling it.

• Like 1

The new DVD is Bak Fu Sunn Yee Gung - Seated 13 & 14. I'm not sure how it relates to levels one and two that have already been released. If anyone could elaborate that would be helpful.

The new DVD is Bak Fu Sunn Yee Gung - Seated 13 & 14. I'm not sure how it relates to levels one and two that have already been released. If anyone could elaborate that would be helpful.

This is the one I mentioned in the above post.

Only 18 mins long and they are charging full price which is pretty shocking.

They could have easily put the full set of last meds on for that price.

13 and 14 are the meds following the earlier series which together with the last unreleased few

make up the total of all the sitting meds in the levels.

SO they would be the seated meds for level 13 and 14.

Would have been much better releasing level 3.

This is the one I mentioned in the above post.

Only 18 mins long and they are charging full price which is pretty shocking.

They could have easily put the full set of last meds on for that price.

13 and 14 are the meds following the earlier series which together with the last unreleased few

make up the total of all the sitting meds in the levels.

SO they would be the seated meds for level 13 and 14.

Would have been much better releasing level 3.

On his site there is a complete level one and  level one. I inquired as to the difference and didn't receive a satisfactory answer.

There seems to be some controversy as to his relationship with James Lacy and Grand Master Doo Wai. Grand Master Doo Wai purportedly transmitted these practices to WBBM. Allegedly, WBBM never met Grand Master Doo Wai.

Edited by ralis

There seems to be some controversy as to his relationship with James Lacy and Grand Master Doo Wai. 

GMDW accepted him despite being former Lacy student.

Grand Master Doo Wai purportedly transmitted these practices to WBBM. 

Terry Dunn had a Skype call with Grandmaster Doo Wai recently, and wrote this in the Flying Phoenix thread on this forum:

"I confirmed with Grandmaster Doo Wai (again) that Sifu Garry Hearfield in Australia has learned the most amount of Kung Fu and most advanced Kung Fu systems within the Bai Hu Pai (Cantonese: Bok Fu Pai) tradition from him --including Bok Fu Pai, Omei Mountain Bak Mei  and Tibetan Burning Palm Kung Fu systems.  Again, Sifu Garry is thus GM Doo Wai's chosen and designated successor to carry on the task of preserving and teaching the Bai Hu Pai family of arts that he has learned to the next generations."

full post is http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/?p=682118

Allegedly, WBBM never met Grand Master Doo Wai.

That's not allegedly, WBBM is the actual source for this information.

• Like 1

I am in no way questioning sifu garrys abilities but there just seems like a massive inconsistency in teaching the syg methods.

This latest release really made me aware of it , but it also seems that a lot of practitioners who would like to study this system cant take it forward due to lack of help from the people who are supposed to be the representatives of SYG.

• Like 1

Sifu Terry on the other hand is an absolute gem of info and genuine help , he is a very rare character.

Edited by Bruce Qi
  • Like 1

I own two of the DVD's; 'Golden Praying Mantis' and 'Red Dragon'. There are aspects that are not completely detailed.

Sifu Terry on the other hand is an absolute gem of info and genuine help , he is a very rare character.

Then we have the mention of an entity , an egregore linked to the doo wai practices but in all fairness they are going to be present in all energy practices that has a following and especially those with a lineage.

Where was the entity mentioned?

Yes there are many inconsistencies. Especially with the breath percentages. I really like this system, even more than flying phoenix. I haven't started the level 1 moving meds yet, but I already know there is something very special about SYG.

I hope someone can help clarify what the real breath % is for the 2 standing moving meds in level 1 (and all the levels because the 2 moving meds % is the same for all 18 levels). I already know that Sifu Garry somehow put the wrong breath % for the 1st and 2nd static meds on his level 1 video: 80% 70% 30% instead of 80% 70% 50% and 80% 70% 50% instead of 90% 80% 70% 50% but then I bought the level 1 video from ironpalm.com. Its Jim Lacy's video and I have to say its nowhere near the instructional quality of Sifu Garry's videos. The 1st 3 meds are done by Lacy and the last med(long moving) is done by GM Doo Way. Now for the breath % on this video:

Med 1: 3 full breaths to start 80 70 50 - 3 full breaths to come out
Med 2: 3 full breaths to start 90 80 70 50 - 3 full  breaths to come out
Med 3: 3 full breaths to start 50 - 3 full breaths to come out (compared to 2 full breaths of Garry's level 1 video)
Med 4: 2 full breaths to start 50 10 5 - ? full breaths to come out (compared to 3 full breaths of Garry's level 1 video)

Meditation 4(long form moving) is done by GM Doo Way(does not break it down, just demos it). He(GM Doo Way) clearly says in the beginning "These meditations, the breathing sequence is all the same. You take a deep breath, you let it all out, you take another deep breath, let it all out, another deep breath let 50% out, another deep breath, let it all out, another deep breath let 10% out, another deep breath, let it all out and another deep breath, you let 5% out, another deep breath, let it all out and this is how we do the meditations, the movements." He doesn't say how many breaths to finish this meditation. I contacted ironpalm.com and they said you finish with 3 breaths. The video is only 17min 32 sec long. Also I wonder if it would make such a huge difference if I just did 3 breaths at the start of all these meditations? Another interesting thing is that Lacy says, with the 3rd meditation that you should keep the hand on top of the other hand at the lower belly (whatever you call the mudra, so many names for the same mudra) for 5 min, before you do the moving meditation, so do the breath %, keep holding the mudra for 5min, then start with the moving part.

Its very unfortunate that we have to go through so much crap, just so that we can actually do the practice. I have sent emails to Sifu Garry and Sifu Christer Wretfors in the past and got no reply. This is such a nice nei gong and I am greatfull that Garry put this on video for all to learn from, but there is so little support and the value for money is unfortunately questionable because of the high price and lack of clarity.

• Like 2

Yes there are many inconsistencies. Especially with the breath percentages. I really like this system, even more than flying phoenix. I haven't started the level 1 moving meds yet, but I already know there is something very special about SYG.

I hope someone can help clarify what the real breath % is for the 2 standing moving meds in level 1 (and all the levels because the 2 moving meds % is the same for all 18 levels). I already know that Sifu Garry somehow put the wrong breath % for the 1st and 2nd static meds on his level 1 video: 80% 70% 30% instead of 80% 70% 50% and 80% 70% 50% instead of 90% 80% 70% 50% but then I bought the level 1 video from ironpalm.com. Its Jim Lacy's video and I have to say its nowhere near the instructional quality of Sifu Garry's videos. The 1st 3 meds are done by Lacy and the last med(long moving) is done by GM Doo Way. Now for the breath % on this video:

Med 1: 3 full breaths to start 80 70 50 - 3 full breaths to come out

Med 2: 3 full breaths to start 90 80 70 50 - 3 full  breaths to come out

Med 3: 3 full breaths to start 50 - 3 full breaths to come out (compared to 2 full breaths of Garry's level 1 video)

Med 4: 2 full breaths to start 50 10 5 - ? full breaths to come out (compared to 3 full breaths of Garry's level 1 video)

Meditation 4(long form moving) is done by GM Doo Way(does not break it down, just demos it). He(GM Doo Way) clearly says in the beginning "These meditations, the breathing sequence is all the same. You take a deep breath, you let it all out, you take another deep breath, let it all out, another deep breath let 50% out, another deep breath, let it all out, another deep breath let 10% out, another deep breath, let it all out and another deep breath, you let 5% out, another deep breath, let it all out and this is how we do the meditations, the movements." He doesn't say how many breaths to finish this meditation. I contacted ironpalm.com and they said you finish with 3 breaths. The video is only 17min 32 sec long. Also I wonder if it would make such a huge difference if I just did 3 breaths at the start of all these meditations? Another interesting thing is that Lacy says, with the 3rd meditation that you should keep the hand on top of the other hand at the lower belly (whatever you call the mudra, so many names for the same mudra) for 5 min, before you do the moving meditation, so do the breath %, keep holding the mudra for 5min, then start with the moving part.

Its very unfortunate that we have to go through so much crap, just so that we can actually do the practice. I have sent emails to Sifu Garry and Sifu Christer Wretfors in the past and got no reply. This is such a nice nei gong and I am greatfull that Garry put this on video for all to learn from, but there is so little support and the value for money is unfortunately questionable because of the high price and lack of clarity.

I am uncertain if the percentage breathing has been well explained anywhere.

I was on Skype or Gmail chat with Garry a number of years ago and each time I asked a pertinent question, he disappeared from the conversation. I never once had my questions answered.

• Like 1