Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

how has go or chess etc helped with your kung fu?

So how has playing go or chess or xiangqi or shogi etc helped in your kung fu martial arts?

It helps your concentration by keeping cool and calm and watch every move of the counterpart. Standing still, being alert and ready to anticipate your opponent at any instant.

just when you thought you were a hotshot somebody comes along like a young kid and reveals otherwise...

• Like 1

Chess and Wei Chi, both humbled me as per 3bob's comment...

Just when I thought I was getting to be hot shit... lmao down comes the humility hammer.

My son likes chess so I asked him how he'd describe chess, (he's 7) and he said:

Chess is for laying traps and not getting stuck in traps.

On the topic, anyone play Go or Wei Chi online? if so where?

• Like 1

You might want to check out Josh Waitzkin's book "The Art of Learning." He was a chess prodigy (the movie "Searching for Bobby Fisher" was based on his childhood) that went on to win many tournaments in Taiji pushing hands.

• Like 1

Poker is a very complicated mathematical game. Which if played well is akin to chess. Not only the math of the game but creating psychological strategies to trap one's opponents. The ability to be aware of one's emotions is paramount to success.

• Like 1

Maybe some general strategies but 5 minutes of sparring will make you a better fighter than 5 years of playing chess.

• Like 2

You might want to check out Josh Waitzkin's book "The Art of Learning." He was a chess prodigy (the movie "Searching for Bobby Fisher" was based on his childhood) that went on to win many tournaments in Taiji pushing hands.

Thanks for the info

nice Chess TaiChi combination

Intelligence is quite important to a fighter. Boxing, kickboxing, Judo, and Kung Fu, etc.... The Klitschkos (HW boxing champs) are avid chess players, and Floyd Mayweather has repeatedly stated that intelligence is the most important thing in boxing.

Chess or Go won't directly help you, but it does sharpen the mind (as do many other activities), which is always important.

Sign in to follow this