Flolfolil

Aggressive Evangelical Atheism

Please post your experiences with this, and share any skillful ways of dealing with it you may have developed :)

I have only had one such encounter recently, perhaps because I have lived in very hermitlike social isolation for a while now, but the fellow was without a doubt one of the rudest louts I have met in my life. Had he not been the son of a dear woman present at the dinner table, a longtime friend of the hostess, of this otherwise high class soiree, I would have intellectually vivisected him on the spot. As it was I could not get a polite word in edgewise.

If I had wished to simply be as rude as he was, I would have started with something like this, "Look you dim witted troll, what you are saying is soooooooo Nineteenth Century as to be laughable, the least you can do is step into the first half of the twentieth Century and realize that even Special Relatively has made any position based on naive realism such as the materialist reductionism which you are mindlessly blathering about questionable to say the very least...." and continued from there through all the Philosophy, mathematics and physics that makes such a position look ridiculous and ending with with, "... all of which goes to show that your materialism doesn't know a 'Ding' about its 'an sich'". A charming bi-lingual pun involving a catch phrase of Kant. I don't think he would have gotten it.

Right now I don't have time now to fill in between the ellipsis above, but I will try to squeeze in some time to create a reading list that will suitable and rigorously challenge the unexamined presuppositions of all reductive materialists and recommend some strategies for dealing with their kind. About theism and atheism, I don't care, I am an agnostic and have been since I first examined the matter when I was ten or twelve or somewhere in there, but materialism is both incorrect and pernicious and I do care about it and especially its false claim that it is somehow a "rational" position and that anyone who does not accept it is being "irrational". If I do something I will post it in contributed articles to keep it from being lost in a pile of posts and post a link here.

Sorry to be so short, but as it is, this has taken up more time than I really could put into it now.

1. Maoism and Stalinism (and it is these names that ought to be forever branded with the gigantic crimes committed, and not "atheism") were not ideologies of mere non-theism. When you find a dictatorship based entirely on atheism, let me know.

2. Actually, Stalin spent 5 years studying at the Georgian Orthodox Tiflis Spiritual Seminary in Tbilisi. One can just as easily make an argument that it was the seminary that turned him into a homicidal maniac.

3. Anti-theism is not the same as atheism.

1.You could make the argument that religion isn't just about God. So, therefore a belief in God isn't to blame for the atrocities committed throughout history.

2. The reality was he killed and tortured several religious people. Do you think they taught him to do that in seminary?

3. How many anti-theists aren't atheist?

4. You missed the spirit of my original post. Blaming genocide on religion OR atheism isn't valid. Extremism in ALL schools of thought is a very dangerous thing.

• Like 1

wow dude take a breather

Hey, just because she is my friend doesn't mean that I have to always agree with her.

Hey, just because she is my friend doesn't mean that I have to always agree with her.

Actually you do, otherwise she will let herself fall, and there will be no one left to disagree with. Count the times you disagree, and do not count the times you agree. The clock is allways ticking, and the day will come you will have to face the truth of your own judgement. You will calculate your choices to the weight of an atom's weight of movement. Edited by Everything

Actually you do, otherwise she will let herself fall, and there will be no one left to disagree with. Count the times you disagree, and do not count the times you agree. The clock is allways ticking, and the day will come you will have to face the truth of your own judgement. You will calculate your choices to the weight of an atom's weight of movement.

Nice thoughts but I don't buy them either.

What good is a friend that is not honest?

And then, my opinions should be nothing more than inspiration for thought in the mind of those who hear my opinion. I am not making judgements for anyone except myself. If my opinion is considered, good. If I have helped in any way that is even better. If my opinion didn't help then no harm done.

Honesty is very important in my life. I try very hard to not misrepresent myself.

• Like 1

Nice thoughts but I don't buy them either.

What good is a friend that is not honest?

And then, my opinions should be nothing more than inspiration for thought in the mind of those who hear my opinion. I am not making judgements for anyone except myself. If my opinion is considered, good. If I have helped in any way that is even better. If my opinion didn't help then no harm done.

Honesty is very important in my life. I try very hard to not misrepresent myself.

What if those around you require lies of you, will you still be honest, and will you still be honest when they ask of you why you have selfishly choicen honesty over their love?

I know you will judge yourself, and when the judgement day comes, you will ask honesty why it has inspired you to be honest all of this time, and it will give you nothing but lies... But your punishment shall be severe and just... It is not like unto the love of one simple agreement. Eternal, indestructable, unchanging. It will evaporate the darkest of hands that try to lay its touch upon this chain link of brightest and hot white light, it binds the two into one. And all of the curses of humanity shall be casted upon those who try to break the love that has been made binding, and in torment forever they shall scream, but no agreement shall ascend to their rescue. They shall find themselves burning and clashing in between the chains of love. So bright, it will sorch your vey eyes upon gaze

I'm just kidding by the way. Everything I say is complete and utter nonsense. Imagined. A minds game, a play of words. Synchronised words and coded symbols, attempting to form patterns of geometry within the mind.

Edited by Everything

I breathe the same air...

I see the same sun

Put we are not one

We are many

Have you found a master yet that does not end up in the place of oneness? Where there is no distinction form to form? I think we are all the same zillion-eyed Intelligence temporarily dressed up in different dust.

Edited by manitou

What if those around you require lies of you, will you still be honest, and will you still be honest when they ask of you why you have selfishly choicen honesty over their love?

I'm just kidding by the way. Everything I say is complete and utter nonsense. Imagined. A minds game, a play of words. Synchronised words and coded symbols, attempting to form patterns of geometry within the mind.

Yes, I have already disregarded the second paragraph. Hehehe. But I will speak to the first.

Valid question and I know that it is true what you are asking. In this case I would do my very best to make the truth as sweet sounding as possible. And sometimes in my real life when asked a question rather than not tell the truth I will simply not respond at all.

I think honesty is love though. That's the thing about really good friends - we can always speak the truth, even if it hurts; the hurt will fade away but the truth will remain.

And, of course, "truth" is in the mind of the beholder. My truths may not be the same truths you or others hold to.

• Like 1

that's very quantum of you, lol.

Have you found a master yet that does not end up in the place of oneness? Where there is no distinction form to form? I think we are all the same zillion-eyed Intelligence temporarily dressed up in different dust.

going to have to agree. i never even pursued or believed the all is one theory and i ended up experiencing it.

• Like 1

I think we are all the same zillion-eyed Intelligence temporarily dressed up in different dust.

Yeah, we know that. Hehehe. That is your truth. Good for you.

Yes, I have already disregarded the second paragraph. Hehehe. But I will speak to the first.

Valid question and I know that it is true what you are asking. In this case I would do my very best to make the truth as sweet sounding as possible. And sometimes in my real life when asked a question rather than not tell the truth I will simply not respond at all.

I think honesty is love though. That's the thing about really good friends - we can always speak the truth, even if it hurts; the hurt will fade away but the truth will remain.

And, of course, "truth" is in the mind of the beholder. My truths may not be the same truths you or others hold to.

I know what you mean, they may get lost, or walk away, but friendship will be coming back for them one day, because they cannot become who they are not. That is why friendship never ends. You are just friends, because that's the way it is. No words necessary. No truth comes in between. It is what it is, and it will never break. Even when the world crumbles, it is still is what it is. You got eachother's back, and there is no contemplation about loyalty, nor truth. After years of seperation, you will just greet as if it has been a day, no change in friendship, because there is no change in who you are. Even when the world melts and new planets arise, the wolfs will express what is left of friendship. Edited by Everything

Yeah, we know that. Hehehe. That is your truth. Good for you.

Have you figured out your truth yet, hehehe?

the methodology i used to get my findings was this:

it has been my experience with every single self-proclaimed atheist (as in, someone who took the effort to say they were atheist rather than just people who are) except for 2 that they have some form of hatred or disdain for theists

Congratulations, you've stumbled on several militant atheists and didn't even notice all the other atheists who were just minding their business. Here, have a cookie.

so around at least 100, so take that and you get 1/50 atheists that i have ever met were not dicks about it.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

1.You could make the argument that religion isn't just about God. So, therefore a belief in God isn't to blame for the atrocities committed throughout history.

2. The reality was he killed and tortured several religious people. Do you think they taught him to do that in seminary?

3. How many anti-theists aren't atheist?

4. You missed the spirit of my original post. Blaming genocide on religion OR atheism isn't valid. Extremism in ALL schools of thought is a very dangerous thing.

I don't disagree with you. We both agree that fundamentalism is bad.

Who knows what they taught Stalin at the seminary... I distrust any places that want to teach impressionable young adults and decorate their walls with crucifixes. :blink: (Cult of torture much?)

How many atheists are anti-theist?

• Like 1

Master of what? :P

There are infinite distinctions...

I guess I see say an Apple Tree (World Tree)

And we are apples... we flower we grow, fruit and ripen and drop to the ground into the earth to become our own apple tree.

that the Creator has the same desires for its creation as any good parent would for their child...

And we are each an infinite potential of infinity.

We may swim in the one ocean, I don't believe everything is the same though.

Perhaps they found the ground of being.... but that is just the ground.

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

And we are apples... we flower we grow, fruit and ripen and drop to the ground into the earth to become our own apple tree.

But if we fall on infertile soil we don't become.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with you. We both agree that fundamentalism is bad.

Who knows what they taught Stalin at the seminary... I distrust any places that want to teach impressionable young adults and decorate their walls with crucifixes. :blink: (Cult of torture much?)

How many atheists are anti-theist?

If we agree on that point the rest is details to me. Cheers and thanks for your response.

• Like 1

Master of what? :P

There are infinite distinctions...

I guess I see say an Apple Tree (World Tree)

that the Creator has the same desires for its creation as any good parent would for their child...

And we are each an infinite potential of infinity.

We may swim in the one ocean, I don't believe everything is the same though.

Perhaps they found the ground of being.... but that is just the ground.

I guess it depends on whether a person thinks it's all Matter or all Mind. Your points are beautiful - I love the apple growing, falling from the tree, reproducing.

But this is the realm of the 10,000 things. Don't forget that the Tao is reversion to the One, from the 10,000. It all starts at Source. It is to Source we must return to fully See. It is Source that is the tree and us humanoids are one branch of it.

Edited by manitou