nine tailed fox

free will is BS

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's silly to say free will is BS.

Will is something that all great masters train. Yes train, it doesn't develop on it's own without slowly and patiently working on it. The important thing is to understand that it can be trained, and has tremendous benefits to those who commit to it.

The common man on the other hand, weakens his will day by day and has no understanding of the jewel he has lost.

Make no excuses, and don't buy into anyone's negativity and pre-made excuses for failure. We all have free will, but most of us do not value it nor develop it. Instead some of us use the silly "there's no such thing as free will" as an excuse, a crutch towards mediocrity and failure. In some sense, it's better this way because the few that do develop their will to a high degree wield an enormous power and with power comes responsibility which clearly those who cannot or do not develop their will wouldn't be able to handle wisely.

what you are saying is probably intention

what i mean by will is that even if you think its your desire and will to do this particular thing, you cant be sure because you could have been influenced by something or may be you are being manipulated to desire this thing without your knowing

Taoist sciences have solved the problem of free will for me. It's not an all-or-nothing deal. It's a 60-40 deal. 60% of your destiny is not under control of your free will. Of these, 40% is "written in the stars," and another 20% is in the realm of the unknown (no enlightened beings, no gods, and not even tao herself control that -- chance is a force of nature, and when it strikes, it moves even the tao, as in the arising of Houtian from a chance impulse from Zhen.) Then the remaining 40% is the field of application of your free will. Most people don't use it to the full extent, so it shrinks further. The field of application of free will, when expanded to the full 40%, is huge. But many people lead robotic lives where no more than one-tenth of that potential is utilized. Like all functions, it withers if not practiced, and is mastered when you deliberately work on it.

Little things add up if you start practicing free will deliberately. In my family, e.g., if someone had a headache, they told the rest of the family. If it persisted, they told it persistently. Like, every few minutes. Realizing that this one little thing is one of thousands I would be doing involuntarily if I do it (because it's family conditioning to make it known and drag attention toward oneself with this bit of information), I decided -- freely chose -- to refrain. I decided that if I get a headache I'll keep it to myself. The unexpected outcome is that I pretty much don't get headaches at all, knock on wood. Free will is something that starts expanding into neighboring functions when stimulated, looks like.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 4

See? Even Taomeow had the free will to make a post in this thread.

Nah, this was involuntary. I know I wrote this before, but I was not finished with my cup of coffee (love for coffee not a choice either -- has to do with my dopaminergic wiring) and decided I might write about that free willie thingie once more while I'm drinking my higher-power-imposed coffee. I know my limitations. Knowing them is a free choice, incidentally. Part of the "know thyself" choice of awareness applications. :D

• Like 2

I study Philosophy, so I am not gonna post anything here on the topic of free will. It would just make things so much more confusing and weird. :D

Edited by madMUHHH

I study Philosophy, so I am not gonna post anything here on the topic of free will. It would just make things so much more confusing and weird. :D

It wouldn't matter. Most of us are so screwed up that a little more wouldn't tip the scales one way or another.

I always wonder what you think of your mom?

My mom is an average post-depression, capricorn female who follows the groupthink of the day. Although my childhood found me in out-of-the-box situations daily, there was no guidance from my family,...in the valley of the blind, the one-eyed person is treated for their illness.

Many years ago I briefly wondered what if was around even one superior person during my first 19 years,...one encouraging person that said being out-of-the-box was ok. Instead I was raised in an environment where anything that was not normal, was abnormal,...even the supernormal. Things haven't changed much today.

A Buddhist once said, “We condemn the real and we enforce the unreal, because the unreal is going to be helpful in an unreal society and the unreal is going to be convenient…A child is born in a society, and a society is already there with its fixed rules, regulations, behaviors and moralities which the child has to learn.

When he will grow he will become false. Then children will be born to him, and he will help make them false, and this goes on and on. What to do?”

That doesn't mean I don't care about my mother. My childhood, in hindsight, was helpful. It never put me in their box,...instead, I learned how to appear to be in the box, without ever being in box. For many years, and still, I have only a superficial relationship with sheeple,...but then, all sheeple relationships are superficial, even though they won't admit it.

• Like 2

I like to look at it from the inside out.

All is Mind. One big huge giant mind. We each are a conduit to that mind. Our limitations are imposed by our habits, our upbringing, and unresolved karma from our life or an ancestor's. Our physical minds can be viewed as a sort of filter that prevents the fullness of pure knowledge as long as it is still in a less-than-open state, or a state of judgmental-ism.

To fully open the mind is to work toward no judgment whatsoever, total acceptance. To accept Life as one big Whole, no good, no bad.

• Like 2

To fully open the mind is to work toward no judgment whatsoever, total acceptance. To accept Life as one big Whole, no good, no bad.

I offer lots of luck with that one.

That doesn't mean I don't care about my mother. My childhood, in hindsight, was helpful. It never put me in their box,...instead, I learned how to appear to be in the box, without ever being in box. For many years, and still, I have only a superficial relationship with sheeple,...but then, all sheeple relationships are superficial, even though they won't admit it.

Call my crazy. But I think I can have the power to grant these superficial relationship with sheeples as genuine human emotions. I don't have the power to change what you think of your relationship with your mom. But I can accept my mom's superficial/fake love towards me as genuine. Who is to argue with me about what is real and true inside my mind?

If you truly believe that everything is illusion, why can't you create something real? I thought you were pretty ballsy.

Edited by hydrogen
  • Like 1

confusing and weird is better than -confused and boring would be

Edited by Stosh

I was watching some smokers talk about free will, I just smiled to myself :closedeyes:

Lovely sentiment behind that

Call my crazy. But I think I can have the power to grant these superficial relationship with sheeples as genuine human emotions. I don't have the power to change what you think of your relationship with your mom. But I can accept my mom's superficial/fake love towards me as genuine. Who is to argue with me about what is real and true inside my mind?

If you truly believe that everything is illusion, why can't you create something real? I thought you were pretty ballsy.

Yes,...you think quite alot,...but what is this thinking you cling to as genuine? Before you spew any more thoughts,...try this,...what is thinking? Can you think in the Now, the Present, the Instant? No, you can not,...thinking is always in the past.

What is genuine? To me, genuine is relating with what will never leave me, and from which I can never leave. I guarentee you,...Human Emotions will leave,...they my be admired,...put high on a pedistal,...but that does not make them any less delusional.

Although most, like youself (as presented in your posts) feel that one's Human-ness is highly desireable,...in actuality, one's Human-ness is barrier to love,...that's basic Buddhism and Taoism.

Check out this Youtube,...how many times does Don mention "human-ness"

I like to look at it from the inside out.

All is Mind. One big huge giant mind. We each are a conduit to that mind. Our limitations are imposed by our habits, our upbringing, and unresolved karma from our life or an ancestor's. Our physical minds can be viewed as a sort of filter that prevents the fullness of pure knowledge as long as it is still in a less-than-open state, or a state of judgmental-ism.

I wholly disgree. Judging, as in neti-neti, is how the false is recognized. As a famous New age Purveyor correctly said,

"we need to draw our attention to what is false in us, for unless we learn to recognize the false as the false, there can be no lasting transformation, and you will always be drawn back into illusion, for that is how the false perpetuates itself"

"we need to draw our attention to what is false in us, for unless we learn to recognize the false as the false, there can be no lasting transformation, and you will always be drawn back into illusion, for that is how the false perpetuates itself"

Hehehe. Yes, Lao Tzu kinda said that in that kinda way.

Yep. If we don't try we will never know what could have been had we tried.

Most try to accumulate knowledge as if it had some real purpose,...other than sustaining the ego. I like this following quote"

Every thought that provides you with an identity,

be it positive or negative, is a fragment of the ego

or mind-made sense of self. Most are under the

impression that if enough thoughts are accumulated,

these can be pieced together resulting is selfknowledge.

This approach is purely psychological.

Just as gathering enough leaves can never produce a

tree, gathering thoughts will never produce anything

more than a self-aware ego.

http://enterthenew.com/Thoughts_to_Stop_Thinking.pdf

Everything that's been done has been done before and will continue to get done. Free will? Probably not. Illusion of free will? Most definitely. Will=choice or determination. Free=not bound, confined or detained. Free from outside domination. Free will is an illusion.

Sure, I can accept that quote as being valid.

I already am what I am, there is little need to prove that I am more than what I really am.

I enjoy gaining knowledge because every once in a while little bits get together and produce wisdom. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I am wise or anything like that but I am still alive and that counts for something.

Although most, like youself (as presented in your posts) feel that one's Human-ness is highly desireable,...in actuality, one's Human-ness is barrier to love,...that's basic Buddhism and Taoism.

Check out this Youtube,...how many times does Don mention "human-ness"

I have no idea why you put up the video. I have no idea what Don was talking about. He seems to be a happy guy and loves his drum.

The emotion is highly desireable in my opinion. I'm interested in A.I. (Artificial Intelligence). We still don't know how to generate "human" emotions when we design A.I.

Our creator figured it out.

I don't trust Buddha. He promised he'd get everyone in his promised land of bliss. I'm not there. He's either a slakcer or he's lying.

Only my own experience is gunuine and real to me. All others are just input to me and needs to be processed.