Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer64

Kalydoscopic imagery when meditating

I've been getting images like fractals or circular changing mandalas when I meditate and concentrate on the area of my central forehead...(The third eye or perhaps 6th chakra).

The colors are not vivid but the movement there-in has distracted me in a sort of hypnotic way. I find this disconcerting, though beautiful. As if there is a messsage I should be getting somehow.

I am not sure why I find this disturbing, but it is somehow...

Any clues as to what this sort of experience indicates?

I've been getting images like fractals or circular changing mandalas when I meditate and concentrate on the area of my central forehead...(The third eye or perhaps 6th chakra).

The colors are not vivid but the movement there-in has distracted me in a sort of hypnotic way. I find this disconcerting, though beautiful. As if there is a messsage I should be getting somehow.

Did you count the colors?

"What is mind, no matter, what is matter, never mind"

It's a form of perceptual change based on your partcular circulation/cycle of chi this season.

I believe my first encounter with this form of perception change was when practicing fixed point meditation w/ eyes open. By allowing the eyes to completely relax on a single point on the wall, distance, etc, the mind gradually stills as you disattach the reflexes associated w/ peripheral perceptions.

The most telling part of fixed point work seems to be when the mind moves, the eyes move. ref: nlp

Remember Taoist meditation does not get distracted by phenomenon; ride it, learn from it, let it go, go w/ it.

Spectrum of 03cents

I get the exact same thing. At first I felt like it was sort of "distracting", but now I can sort of use it to keep my concentration. Although I still feel that when it comes around my mind treats it as an obstacle.

Nothing at all of any consequence - when the mind is quiet and visual input removed, subtle optic neuronal discharges can be appreciated. I don't think it's terribly valuable to put much stock in the wide variety of audiovisual experiences one has during sitting. It simply reinforces the sense of self importance. Best to let it go.

I get the exact same thing.
Ya, me too.

At first it was just a small spinning circular view of swirling iridescence under outdoor night-lighting that looked basically like this:

biol4-a.jpg

I mean, the "neon-pastel" coloration there is pretty spot-on. And the intersecting swirls a similar approximation.

Then I saw it in the shower. And most recently, I saw it with my eyes closed and with the circular view much larger. It's always above my normal level of sight, where my 3rd eye would be.

I dunno if it's something meaningless just in my head, though. But is this anything like what anyone else is seeing?

Thank you each and all for yr great feed-back on this... It was never worrisome, only of interest to me how often such imagry occurs with other meditators...

But I do somehow feel closer to you all when I read yr kind words and get the notion we are all on a wonderous journey through this realm of existance-or is that plural realms?-

In any case I am still getting the images from time to time and am feeling at home with them now, much more than before -

peace -wayfarer

"What is mind, no matter, what is matter, never mind"

is this really happening? this sentence has repeated itself in my head all day.

<pinch> Reality Check.

Edited by Spectrum

Energy moving through your head. It also could be that your Microcosmic Orbit opening up. And when I say that, I don't mean the stuff Healing Tao promotes. I mean the real opening of MO, with nectar dripping down and other real physical changes corresponding to it.

Sign in to follow this