Sign in to follow this  
hydrogen

Bring cultivation into daily life, please post your experiences.

My ultimate goal is to bring Qi Gong into my daily life so I don't need a dedicated time slot for it.

Also I want the Qi Gong practice enhance that particular daily activity, not a burden to add on.

So far, I have good success in running and movie watching.

To incorporate Qi Gong into my movie theatre trip make my experience much better. I love going out to the theatre again.

First, I changed my mind set. I used to think I was "smart". I was proud of myself being able to figure out the ending five minutes into the movie. I tend to point out the holes in the plot and the poor performance of the actors. After a while, most movies become cliche and boring to me.

Then I realized I was a fool. Why did I sabotage my own enjoyment?

Now, I just watch the movie, enjoy the visual and by in sync with what going on the screen. A plot twist would have me say "wow, I didn't see that coming!". While in the old days, I'd come up at least ten books and movies with similar scheme.

Of course, the physical part play a big roles as well. To relax into the environment is easy in the movie theatres.

If I sit far back. I'd gaze into the screen and play with the focus of my two eyes during commercials and trailers. I separate the left eye and right eye vision, such I see two screens side by side. Then I play around to move the two screens together to over lap then move them apart. By the time, the movie starts, I'm in the "zone".

If I sit very up front, I'd let the screem overwhelm me and totally immerse into the scene.

I posted my running method in another thread.

I hope you can share your experiences and tricks in daily life. For example, chewing slowly with closed eyes to savor the food, or imanging the water cleasing your body in the shower.

• Like 1

What is qigong, to you? What does "bringing qigong into my daily life" mean?

Maybe thetaoiseasy's recent post will be relevant to you.

I've learn a lot from thetaoiseasy's posts.

I don't want to turn this thread into another concept debating thread.

Basically I don't want to know what you think how things should be, I want to know what you DO in your real daily life.

My ultimate goal is to bring Qi Gong into my daily life so I don't need a dedicated time slot for it.

Also I want the Qi Gong practice enhance that particular daily activity, not a burden to add on.

So far, I have good success in running and movie watching.

Dancing is a pretty obvious one for me. I really like to go out and dance, more like dancing at the club though, not the overly formal kind of dancing. For quite some time I was a bit hesitant about going out dancing all that often, because you end up coming home late and the next day might be a bit of a drag then, yadda yadda yadda. However I find the more I do it, the more the lines between dancing and standard "cultivation" start to blur and for me personally, going out for the night to dance can at times be a tremendously valuable experience/way of cultivation, much more valuable than staying at home doing your meditation or whatever. Plus, it's a ton of fun. :)

Edited by madMUHHH
  • Like 2

Relax smile tuning into and connecting with that big energy (Tao, universe or whatever). Clear mind happy never feeling lonely or bored again.

• Like 1

Dancing is a pretty obvious one for me. I really like to go out and dance, more like dancing at the club though, not the overly formal kind of dancing. For quite some time I was a bit hesitant about going out dancing all that often, because you end up coming home late and the next day might be a bit of a drag then, yadda yadda yadda. However I find the more I do it, the more the lines between dancing and standard "cultivation" start to blur and for me personally,

How do you dance differently to mak it "cultivation" than regular dance?

I guess I just let things play themselves out more and get less involved/attached/identified with whatever is going on. I have had periods of time when I just find how serious everyone is taking things as very funny, like everyone is playing a big game or acting and I would like to find a way to prolong that perspective.

• Like 1

Walking out in nature, especially early morning where it's very quiet.

All senses experiencing the Dao in their fullest form.

The world is a very different place at that time.

Feel the contact of the foot upon the ground, as the heel touches, then rolls along the foot to the ball.

Enlightenment in every step.

Taking in full, deep breaths of un-polluted, clean, cool air.

The symphony of songbirds just awakening.

Rabbits frollicking in the fields.

Mist rising from the damp earth.

The smell of trees and wild flowers.

And, if you listen close enough, the silence.

Edited by adept
  • Like 4

Edited by sinansencer

Edited by sinansencer

one needs to live a life that makes ones heart happy and and feel some sense of passion and joy in otherwise life seems like one big meditation, boring and detached from everything, soul less.

Whaaat since when is meditation like this? :o

Whaaat since when is meditation like this? :o

lol

not sure

it seems to have this affect on me

strong detachment..makes me very "water" or something...sometimes It is deeply blissful, often feel like nothing matters...depends if ones grounded i guess

lol

not sure

it seems to have this affect on me

strong detachment..makes me very "water" or something...sometimes It is deeply blissful, often feel like nothing matters...depends if ones grounded i guess

Maybe talk to Michael about it - if you're still practicing Stillness Movement.

I feel when engaging the energy in S-m it's... like the opposite of "boring, detached from everything and soulless". It's like a big connection.

Just my experience

Edited by sinansencer

keep your attention on your tantien so you are always belly breathing.

keep your tongue relaxed on the roof of your mouth.

use peripheral vision whenever possible

• Like 2

I try to really notice and enjoy things as I'm doing them. Especially easy with my daily hikes. I try to walk with my mind clear and notice everything around me. Doesn't always work so well... :) I make a point of stopping somewhere along the way, usually an open spot near the edge of a drop off, with a lot of open empty space in front of me, and stand there. Mind clear, listening to the silence and animal noises. Eyes open or closed.

In my relationships I constantly practice honesty (trying to make it a little less of the "brutal honesty" type) and openness, and not being judgemental. Trying to see the world as it is, or as it must look through the other persons eyes, rather than through my biases.

Trying to feel my body and keep it structurally aligned, and healthy. Trying to put things I feel good about in my body and not junk. Seeing how different ways of walking feel, like where to keep my weight and intent.

Being moral.

As often as possible, watching myself as though I were watching someone else, with no judgement or attachment to what I'm watching.

Edited by i am
  • Like 4

When I have flying dreams and dreams with vivid color and then when I see light around peoples' heads and have precognitive experiences from previous dreams then life becomes more like a dream and then when I control my dreams more and then when I am awake maybe I can control my waking dream more also.

So then spending more of my awake time in a dream vision state -- and this is done through meditation -- but meditating while talking to people or listening to people usually requires doing mental concentration as a japa and this then slows down my breathing naturally -- emptying out the conceptual mind as I notice emotional energy of others.

I just sit in full lotus at the computer while watching movies or discussing qigong and offtopics or talking on the phone. All in full lotus. Then eating I try not to overeat but anyway then working is manual physical labor using a pick axe or saw or shovel or hauling things with wheel barrow or carrying, etc. Squatting.

So emotional blockages are the number one energy depletion but by emptying out the conceptual mind then the emotional blockages of the physical realm are surrended to the Emptiness. Submission to the Emptiness as God or the heart love. Or as I like to say: I don't need to do anything because Mother Nature will take revenge.

But then when I do things it should be like a dream as a playfulness - not required but intense since it is fun that way and so then the relationship to the Emptiness is deepened and the dream waking state is more relaxed yet evernew and ever-fresh.

The energy is changing all the time and so who am I to say what I will do or not do or what will happen? haha.

• Like 2

Playing music is my cultivation in action.

I use to study music theory, try to understand it technically. Took music classes and gradings listening while I played wasn't really even "part" of it. I was reading music using my mind to analysise it and work out what was the best note. Eventually I stopped playing because just I wasn't "good enough" It was too hard and too much practice needed to improve. Took up Tai Chi instead to help with my health.

Now when I play, I play. I stand up and jam. My goal is not to think at all, not to perform for those listening, not to be Mal playing the sax or harp. I listen I breath ... and "it" happens and when "it" happens it is total bliss.

I have to add that I'm still not any good by any stretch of the imagination ... but when I can achieve the above people say they enjoy it too.

Time to go practice!

• Like 5

How do you dance differently to mak it "cultivation" than regular dance?

Not really sure if this counts so much as dancing "differently". I think the basic idea is to try to "feel into" the music while also maintaining great awareness of your body and to just let your body be moved to and by the music. So it's a bit like doing spontaneous qigong movements, just that what you trying to express with your body is not the unfolding of your energy or whatever you might call that, but rather you're trying to express the music and the feeling connected to it.

Edited by madMUHHH
  • Like 1

I guess the "just letting thigs happen"-aspect is a big one here. And while it does often lead to some "energetic" phenomena for me, like for example having magnetic-like sensation in the hands/arms/body I think it's really more about expressing/heightening emotions for me.

Not really sure if this counts so much as dancing "differently". I think the basic idea is to try to "feel into" the music while also maintaining great awareness of your body and to just let your body be moved to and by the music. So it's a bit like doing spontaneous qigong movements, just that what you trying to express with your body is not the unfolding of your energy or whatever you might call that, but rather you're trying to express the music and the feeling connected to it.

Yes, you're right about mind set is very important.

Sometimes, a little trick is helpful to break out from the old pattern of thinking and acting. You mentioned about peripheral vision, I think it's a very useful tool.

Surely the high level people can just relax and be in the moment. But my body doesn't know how to relax and my mind doesn't know how to relax.

Music IS a great example of letting go and going with the flow. Dancing or playing. Good call.

It's also a great example of how we can be too cerebral about things and take away what's great about it, like you pointed out.

Edited by i am

I am sure for many practices and systems this is possible, and it is wonderful that you are trying to integrate your practice into your daily life.

However for many practices that revolve around profoundly deep states of meditation, it is not, and never will be possible to do while multitasking.

For instance I couldn't stay in a deep state of trance and suspended metabolic animation for 5 hours and at the same time cook dinner or go shopping or talk to someone on the phone.

This is not and never will be possible for people who follow such paths.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

I am sure for many practices and systems this is possible, and it is wonderful that you are trying to integrate your practice into your daily life.

However for many practices that revolve around profoundly deep states of meditation, it is not, and never will be possible to do while multitasking.

For instance I couldn't stay in a deep state of trance and suspended metabolic animation for 5 hours and at the same time cook dinner or go shopping or talk to someone on the phone.

This is not and never will be possible for people who follow such paths.

What effect on your normal being does going into these deep trances have?

Sleep less, more energy etc?

What effect on your normal being does going into these deep trances have?

Sleep less, more energy etc?

A topic for private discussion. Send me a pm.

Sign in to follow this