Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

Stern Yogis

I am finding myself at my college and having to deal with an adviser who oversees many consiousness studies students.

For myself, consiousness is more body and heart centered as opposed to mental: The three brains.

Now this yogi is real stern and I need some advice in dealing with him. The whole emptied cup aspect of Zen (full cup cannot be filled) is interesting.

Please help.

Hmnn, maybe 4 choices. Surrender to him, Fight (or ignore) what he says, or Find a compromise if possible.

Strict is not neccessarily bad. If he's a good man, consider surrendering. If you choose this path, then do it totally.

You'll have to come up with your own fourth choice.

Michael

Hey GT!

Glad to offer any insights that may come to me but need a bit more info... Are you saying that he is inflexible to your perspectives? is he bullying you? or is this more a thing that has to do with being academic vs. being spiritual? I guess I am asking you to elaborate more...

Later,

Matt

You can walk away.

You can hang around and try the yogi's practices but only keep what works safely and discard the rest. Before you try one of the yogi's practices, you may have to do an internet search to find out if it is inherently safe. If a particular mudra, chant, or position doesn't work for you for a specific objective, look on the internet and find one that works and submit that as part of your work. You may end up making the yogi's course better and more effective for students that study in the next class.

I am finding myself at my college and having to deal with an adviser who oversees many consiousness studies students.

For myself, consiousness is more body and heart centered as opposed to mental: The three brains.

Now this yogi is real stern and I need some advice in dealing with him. The whole emptied cup aspect of Zen (full cup cannot be filled) is interesting.

Please help.

Consciousness Studies? In such a case it is not surprising that the yogi is stern. Many students attracted to such programs are already suffering to some degree from New Agism, which must be nipped in the bud if the students are to have any luck in advancement.

Sloppy multiculturalism and a glorification of mysticism must sometimes be corrected in the Zen manner, with a board to the head. :) Before one can understand the true connectedness of all things, one must have an understanding of the things themselves. :) Before one can level out boundaries and distinctions, one must first understand their reasons, shape, and form. Cups are sometimes filled with the illusion of emptiness. :)

That is not to say that the heart should be closed off from practice. Ridgidly going through the motions of technique without grasping their spirit is no better. My advice would be to listen to what he says with an open mind, and to do one's best to replace ""more body and heart centered as opposed to mental" with "equally centered. with more time spent on those things that I am weakest in".

Sign in to follow this