Taiji Quan, just the exercise of the form, is only an exercise, a martial art. When we take away the qigong, and philosophical teachings, and simply practice the form, it results in basic health benefits, and with martial applications results in basic defensive abilities.

Β 

Taiji Quan which focuses on cultivating softness, fa jin, and qigong, still remains a product of basic cultivation, added to it martial arts applications and you still have a basic fist form, nothing "Tai and Ji" about it.

Β 

So what makes the "Tai and Ji" of Taiji Quan what it is? All commercial views aside, it is simply the cultivation of the non-discriminating mind. When this state is realized, and constant, when attachments of body, mouth and mind have disappeared, when the "I" and "am" is no longer a view, then real results manifest.

Β 

What are real results of Taiji Quan? Its not in fighting, Push hands, or issuance of energy. Its not how smooth you look while performing the form, and it certainly isn't the manifestation of spiritual ability.

Β 

The true results of Taiji Quan is the realization of one's true nature; and in order to cultivate that, one must do more than push hands, form practice and qigong.

Β 

We can use Taiji Quan to become very well at fighting, yet that would still be a low level cultivation. Even if the martial applications were coupled with realzation of inherent wisdom, the use of the martial applications wouldn't be highlighted as a high attainment. What would be seen as a high attainment, is the posture of mind, and lightness of movement. Which is not based on form practice, but in mind cultivation.

Β 

The application of concentration while practicing, allows for one to focus on that which is impermanent. Thus the idea of stillness in motion. Stillness of the mind, movement of the body. Why is the mind said to be still? It is said to be still due to not being moved by sensations (the senses), states or even the form itself.

Β 

There is much to cultivate with Taiji Quan, for it is not just a martial art, but a cultivation method which leads to the realization of the 1 and the 0. Then, it is the total non-discrimination on the 1 and the 0, the realization of the "Thus" nature.

Β 

Levels in between may be states of different realizations of how qi moves in the body, how it is intended/willed, how to alter the flow of things, issuing force, developed sensitivity, speed, evasiveness, martial application, etc. These are just levels one may inevitably reach throughout their practice.

Β 

What is not certain is if one will realize their inherent wisdom, and see past the duality of their mind, see past the nature of the relative world around them and put down false thinking.

Β 

Anything can be a Taiji Quan. All it needs in its workings is one Yin and one Yang. Then as long as it follows those principles, it is a Taiji Quan.Yang, Chen, Hao, Sun, etc...are all names of the same thing. Practice methods vary, but the overall fundamental principle is the same.

Β 

Daoist cultivation is about purifying the mind, not the body only. If the body is pure, the mind must be pure. If the mind is pure the body is inevitably pure. Then, what does "pure" mean, or refer to? It refers to putting down the ego, and riding oneself of defiling thoughts.

Β 

Some think this is a moral stance, or a principle of conduct, but it is not. It is exactly the overall, direct pointing to the original nature of each and every one of us.

Β 

Taiji Quan shows that the forms are only a guideline. Those two must be put down. Thus, the forms are only stepping stones, methods along the path. In time, stillness is both mind and body, and all directions. So whether there is movement or not, it is not moving the mind; no views and non-views, no grasping and non-grasping, etc.

Β 

Someone may practice the form terribly, but who can speak on their states and realizations?

It doesn't matter how they look, if their back is too straight, or they didn't bend deep enough. None of that makes one wiser or a better " fighter" or closer to attaining an ability of issuing force, etc.

Β 

The state of 1 and 0 shouldn't be talked about lightly either, nor should it be disregarded. The Dao De Jing speaks directly on the 1 and the 0, along with how to put an end to the discriminating mind. All of it points directly to ending false thinking and attachments to relativity.

Β 

When there is non-attachment, then any intent/will can be manifest. This is true intuition: to move without hindrance.

Β 

This is Taiji Quan.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 13

All the difference in the world, between somebody correctly doing the Form, with "intent", energy flow, concentration, breathing, relaxation & technique....

Β 

and another who might look (to the layman) to be doing a similar performance, but who is, to all intents and purposes...

Β 

"just waving their arms around in the air" (to quote my Instructor).

Β 

LOL

• Like 3

The only true guidance will only come from one who know.

And the passing of the fire will not be from words.

Β 

The 3 Masters that I had the fortune to know could not know how to say how they did it

Except that they can do at will while those without a clue will wax lyrical, with a straight face as well, on Tao and Chi and Love and Universe while waving arms and legs slowly.

Β 

I, having crossed that gate even if I could not do all my Masters did, have no clue in telling my own son who loved Aikido how I did it, other than it did not come from waving arms and legs slowly and thinking of love and oneness with everything.

Β 

Β 

Idiotic Taoist

• Like 2

The only true guidance will only come from one who know.

And the passing of the fire will not be from words.

Β 

The 3 Masters that I had the fortune to know could not know how to say how they did it

Except that they can do at will while those without a clue will wax lyrical, with a straight face as well, on Tao and Chi and Love and Universe while waving arms and legs slowly.

Β 

I, having crossed that gate even if I could not do all my Masters did, have no clue in telling my own son who loved Aikido how I did it, other than it did not come from waving arms and legs slowly and thinking of love and oneness with everything.

Β 

Β 

Idiotic Taoist

Β 

Profound indeed! I especially love the last sentence:

Β 

Β 

hahahahaha This is so great! I couldn't have said with more humor.

Taiji Quan, just the exercise of the form, is only an exercise, a martial art. When we take away the qigong, and philosophical teachings, and simply practice the form, it results in basic health benefits, and with martial applications results in basic defensive abilities.

Β 

Taiji Quan which focuses on cultivating softness, fa jin, and qigong, still remains a product of basic cultivation, added to it martial arts applications and you still have a basic fist form, nothing "Tai and Ji" about it.

Β 

So what makes the "Tai and Ji" of Taiji Quan what it is? All commercial views aside, it is simply the cultivation of the non-discriminating mind. When this state is realized, and constant, when attachments of body, mouth and mind have disappeared, when the "I" and "am" is no longer a view, then real results manifest.

Β 

What are real results of Taiji Quan? Its not in fighting, Push hands, or issuance of energy. Its not how smooth you look while performing the form, and it certainly isn't the manifestation of spiritual ability.

Β 

The true results of Taiji Quan is the realization of one's true nature; and in order to cultivate that, one must do more than push hands, form practice and qigong.

Β 

We can use Taiji Quan to become very well at fighting, yet that would still be a low level cultivation. Even if the martial applications were coupled with realzation of inherent wisdom, the use of the martial applications wouldn't be highlighted as a high attainment. What would be seen as a high attainment, is the posture of mind, and lightness of movement. Which is not based on form practice, but in mind cultivation.

Β 

The application of concentration while practicing, allows for one to focus on that which is impermanent. Thus the idea of stillness in motion. Stillness of the mind, movement of the body. Why is the mind said to be still? It is said to be still due to not being moved by sensations (the senses), states or even the form itself.

Β 

There is much to cultivate with Taiji Quan, for it is not just a martial art, but a cultivation method which leads to the realization of the 1 and the 0. Then, it is the total non-discrimination on the 1 and the 0, the realization of the "Thus" nature.

Β 

Levels in between may be states of different realizations of how qi moves in the body, how it is intended/willed, how to alter the flow of things, issuing force, developed sensitivity, speed, evasiveness, martial application, etc. These are just levels one may inevitably reach throughout their practice.

Β 

What is not certain is if one will realize their inherent wisdom, and see past the duality of their mind, see past the nature of the relative world around them and put down false thinking.

Β 

Anything can be a Taiji Quan. All it needs in its workings is one Yin and one Yang. Then as long as it follows those principles, it is a Taiji Quan.Yang, Chen, Hao, Sun, etc...are all names of the same thing. Practice methods vary, but the overall fundamental principle is the same.

Β 

Daoist cultivation is about purifying the mind, not the body only. If the body is pure, the mind must be pure. If the mind is pure the body is inevitably pure. Then, what does "pure" mean, or refer to? It refers to putting down the ego, and riding oneself of defiling thoughts.

Β 

Some think this is a moral stance, or a principle of conduct, but it is not. It is exactly the overall, direct pointing to the original nature of each and every one of us.

Β 

Taiji Quan shows that the forms are only a guideline. Those two must be put down. Thus, the forms are only stepping stones, methods along the path. In time, stillness is both mind and body, and all directions. So whether there is movement or not, it is not moving the mind; no views and non-views, no grasping and non-grasping, etc.

Β 

Someone may practice the form terribly, but who can speak on their states and realizations?

It doesn't matter how they look, if their back is too straight, or they didn't bend deep enough. None of that makes one wiser or a better " fighter" or closer to attaining an ability of issuing force, etc.

Β 

The state of 1 and 0 shouldn't be talked about lightly either, nor should it be disregarded. The Dao De Jing speaks directly on the 1 and the 0, along with how to put an end to the discriminating mind. All of it points directly to ending false thinking and attachments to relativity.

Β 

When there is non-attachment, then any intent/will can be manifest. This is true intuition: to move without hindrance.

Β 

This is Taiji Quan.

Β 

An excellent write. Though I don't practise yoga, this is what is meant by 'yoga' - Union I guess. Ultimately, when we practise Tai Chi and when we do not we are that which is 0 - our grasping at movement, appearance is where 0 becomes 1 and then 2. We are That-Which-Is and whether we are doing the form or falling over pissed in the gutter doesn't change anything - other than perhaps our ability to overcome the ignorance that clouds our realisation of what we and everything IS.

• Like 1

An excellent write. Though I don't practise yoga, this is what is meant by 'yoga' - Union I guess. Ultimately, when we practise Tai Chi and when we do not we are that which is 0 - our grasping at movement, appearance is where 0 becomes 1 and then 2. We are That-Which-Is and whether we are doing the form or falling over pissed in the gutter doesn't change anything - other than perhaps our ability to overcome the ignorance that clouds our realisation of what we and everything IS.

Β 

This is great:

Β 

We are That-Which-Is and whether we are doing the form or falling over pissed in the gutter doesn't change anything

Β 

HAHAHA It Just Is.

• Like 1

Drunken Style Tai Chi, now there's a thought !

Β 

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

This is Taiji Quan.

Β 

Β 

few will heed this advice, cuz few understand, they get it and comprehend the words...but they know not.

Β 

may i know,

Β 

how do you call your self in the English alphabet?

Β 

i will pm , you...you have a message , that i would like to hear.

• Like 1

few will heed this advice, cuz few understand, they get it and comprehend the words...but they know not.

Β 

may i know,

Β 

how do you call your self in the English alphabet?

Β 

i will pm , you...you have a message , that i would like to hear.

Β 

I apologize. Perhaps I should change my name to an alphabetized manner.

Β 

My name is Lin Ai Wei. Please call me Lin. :)