john23

qigong for kidney yang deficiency ?

Hello all,

I am new here.

I would like to benefit from your experience and knowledge. I have kidney yang deficiency and would like to have a complementary qigong practice besides my acupuncture treatment.

Does anyone here know some good qigong for that condition?

Thanks a lot

J.

Hello all,

I am new here.

I would like to benefit from your experience and knowledge. I have kidney yang deficiency and would like to have a complementary qigong practice besides my acupuncture treatment.

Thanks a lot

J.

Hey John i'm a TCM student. Did your acupuncturist give you herbs for your Kidney yang def? That's probably the best and easiest way to go about it. If not Huan Shao Zhuang Yang Pian is a good formula.

http://www.activeherb.com/youngain/

As far as Qigong goes reverse abdominal breathing is a good method for this problem.

This is my only basic understanding of Chi Kung. Chi Kung cultivates three things. They are the body, mind and breathing which will provide the body to a state of homeostasis. It is to ultimate goal for longevity to the Taoists. We can see that all the styles of Chi Kung do breathe with slow movements in synchronized with breathing. However, we must note that without breathing is not Chi Kung at all. It is because Chi Kung is the ultimate method of breathing. Please keep the fundamental concept in mind if you want your Chi Kung practice to be effective.

• Like 1

Michael Winn over at healingtaousa has a video full of chi gung exercises particularly for the kidneys. In particular I like "swimming dragon" which you can probably find instructions for on the internet. Not sure if it´s kindney yang oriented as opposed to yin, but you might give it a try. Hope this helps.

Liminal

far as I recall, the kidneys are really the only system that doesnt have much of an excess pattern, so just about anything that strengthens kidney yin or yang should also support the other.

• Like 1

Please keep the fundamental concept in mind if you want your Chi Kung practice to be effective.

I will, thanks ChiDragon

Eddie Chong has a kidney qigong dvd

Thanks for the reference. Do you practice it? Have you any feedback on it?

Abstinence. Seriously.

Actually, I have a very low sex drive ( one intercourse a month or so) so abstinence is not really a problem, especially if I can practice a kind of semen/energy retention technique I guess.

Michael Winn over at healingtaousa has a video full of chi gung exercises particularly for the kidneys. In particular I like "swimming dragon" which you can probably find instructions for on the internet. Not sure if it´s kindney yang oriented as opposed to yin, but you might give it a try. Hope this helps.

Liminal

Thanks Liminal, I will perhaps contact M.Winn to have some specifics about his vids.

By definition, kidney yang deficiency means that the kidney need to take some supplements which it is lack of. Therefore, I don't think Chi Kung or acupuncture will help.

Actually, I have a very low sex drive ( one intercourse a month or so) so abstinence is not really a problem, especially if I can practice a kind of semen/energy retention technique I guess.

I don't know your age, and I hesitate to give our herbal advice over the internet, and your low sex drive could mean any number of things, but because it is such a dead ringer for kidney yang deficiency, and because this disharmony is so prevalent in Western men, lets just assume for this conversation that your pattern of disharmony has indeed been identified accurately.

Wherever you are if you have access to Chinese patent medications (the so-called "tea pills") see if you can get a hold of some of this: Guifu Dihuang Wan - 桂附地黄丸 - it's a famous classical prescription which is specifically designed to help your problem. Take ~150% of whatever the recommended dosage is on the bottle.

It looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171025387350?redirect=mobile

Obviously if you have access to an herbalist who can compound the raw herbal formula for you (any Chinese herbalist should be able to compound this for you from the name alone - tell him you want the maximum dosage he's comfortable giving you) which you can take home and decoct yourself that's even better.

• Like 2

Hello all,

I am new here.

Thanks a lot

J.

Hey there!

Perhaps:

abdominal expansion, which includes the lower back expanding as well. Upon inhalation use the diaphragm to apply pressure to the abdomen, and as the abdomen expands, expand your lower back as though it is protruding out like the belly on inhalation. Do not use excessive force, just let it happen with the pressure applied from the diaphragm.

Do this for about 2 minutes. Then, hod the breath for 3 secs, slowly exhale, and perform it again for 2 minutes. Repeat the whole process for 10 minutes. Then rest for 5mins, and then continue for another 10 minutes the same way as before. Then go about your day.

Do it 3 times a day, for as long as you feel its necessary. Remember to keep your tongue to the roof of your mouth, and slightly contracct the anal muscles...slightly. Standing or sitting is fine, but lying down is good too. hahaha Lying down, you can feel if your lower back is expanding or not on the breath.

Enjoy!

But remember, its always better to get to an herbalist, and let him/her give you a specific formula for your kidneys, for there can be a butt load of other factors involved. This is only a practice of cultivation. Anyone can utilize it regardless of their health conditions....unless they are bleeding from their lower back, and their kidneys are protruding out from the L- spine area...lol

Peace,

Lin

• Like 2

I think this advice from Chunyi Lin is really good for anyone with a Kidney Yang and/or Yin deficiency:

http://www.springforestqigong.com/index.php/master-chunyi-lin/ask-master-lin-archive#201208

What can I do to heal myself of fatigue?

The very best thing that you can do for yourself is to stand up and practice the active exercises. Fatigue comes from an imbalance in the kidney energy and the best way to balance this energy is to stand and do the exercises.

The Bubbling Springs point on the bottom of the feet is the beginning of the kidney energy channel so when you stand with bent knees, even if it is very slight, you are activating this point and helping the channel to open.

My friends use to tell me this was too difficult to do because they were so, so tired and wondered what they should do about this. I told them to get up and do more! When you feel this severe tiredness or your legs begin to shake, this is actually a very powerful time for transforming the energy, so I tell them to keep going and practice more.

Now that I have motivated you to push yourself to do more, I need to encourage you to sit down before you fall down. Be aware of what you can do safely. Modify the active exercises so you can do them sitting in a chair or even lying down when needed. You can also do the Small Universe meditation, which is always very helpful.

In the above he talks about a low stance while practising the SFQ active exercises, but elsewhere he also suggests just simply the standing itself as a great way to build kidney energy, and II've had profound benefits from doing this.

I've got Kidney Yin deficiency, which I'm also taking herbs for, and I've observed that this lower stance practise seems to be even more beneficial than the herbs I take (though herbs are definitely a vital part of treating kidney deficiency). The shaking of the legs seems to come in waves to me - the first couple of times it throws you off a bit, but you realise that the shaking subsides if you just keep your stance. Then the shaking becomes quite enjoyable, I guess because you can subtly feel the kidney energy streaming into your body. My legs feel tired for a while afterwards, but in a good way, and then I feel really revitalised.

It's good timing for me to see this thread today, starting from tomorrow I'm going to make this lower stance a part of my daily practise again, the benefits are enormous. TCM doctors have told me that acupuncture is usually better at treating patterns of excess than patterns of deficiency.. so I think you'd be wise to make a consistent routine of qigong and herbs a part of your long term recovery.

good luck with it!

• Like 3

I think this advice from Chunyi Lin is really good for anyone with a Kidney Yang and/or Yin deficiency:

http://www.springforestqigong.com/index.php/master-chunyi-lin/ask-master-lin-archive#201208

The very best thing that you can do for yourself is to stand up and practice the active exercises. Fatigue comes from an imbalance in the kidney energy and the best way to balance this energy is to stand and do the exercises.

The Bubbling Springs point on the bottom of the feet is the beginning of the kidney energy channel so when you stand with bent knees, even if it is very slight, you are activating this point and helping the channel to open.

My friends use to tell me this was too difficult to do because they were so, so tired and wondered what they should do about this. I told them to get up and do more! When you feel this severe tiredness or your legs begin to shake, this is actually a very powerful time for transforming the energy, so I tell them to keep going and practice more.

Now that I have motivated you to push yourself to do more, I need to encourage you to sit down before you fall down. Be aware of what you can do safely. Modify the active exercises so you can do them sitting in a chair or even lying down when needed. You can also do the Small Universe meditation, which is always very helpful.

In the above he talks about a low stance while practising the SFQ active exercises, but elsewhere he also suggests just simply the standing itself as a great way to build kidney energy, and II've had profound benefits from doing this.

I've got Kidney Yin deficiency, which I'm also taking herbs for, and I've observed that this lower stance practise seems to be even more beneficial than the herbs I take (though herbs are definitely a vital part of treating kidney deficiency). The shaking of the legs seems to come in waves to me - the first couple of times it throws you off a bit, but you realise that the shaking subsides if you just keep your stance. Then the shaking becomes quite enjoyable, I guess because you can subtly feel the kidney energy streaming into your body. My legs feel tired for a while afterwards, but in a good way, and then I feel really revitalised.

It's good timing for me to see this thread today, starting from tomorrow I'm going to make this lower stance a part of my daily practise again, the benefits are enormous. TCM doctors have told me that acupuncture is usually better at treating patterns of excess than patterns of deficiency.. so I think you'd be wise to make a consistent routine of qigong and herbs a part of your long term recovery.

good luck with it!

What's the difference between kidney yin & yang deficiencies, and what are the symptoms of each?

Other factors to consider are also the interacting organs with the kidneys. If your liver/gallbladder (wood) are flaring up with anger/frustration - this may suck the water qi out of your kidneys. Or if your lungs/large intestine (metal) are filled with grief/clinging to past, they may not supply your kidneys with sufficient precursor qi or temper your burning liver/gallbladder enough.

fivelement.gif

It seems that there is something wrong about this chart. The insulting sequence does not exist in to Five Elements System. Someone might be mistakenly added to the system will cause misinterpretation.

It seems that there is something wrong about this chart. The insulting sequence does not exist in to Five Elements System. Someone might be mistakenly added to the system will cause misinterpretation.

The insulting sequence is very much a part of the five element system. It's so foundational that we had to learn it the first semester of TCM school before we could get anywhere near a patient with a needle.

• Like 2

It is something new to me. How so foundational...??? Please enlighten me a little...!!! Thank you.... :)

There are 2 main interactions:

1. 生 (sheng) - "generative" precursor - as mother nurturing child (water feeds wood)

2. 剋 (ke) - "controlling" checking - as grandmother supervising grandchild (water douses fire)

2.a. 乘 (cheng) - over-controlling - as grandmother over-controlling grandchild (water extinguishes fire)

And also a complete reversal of 2:

3) 侮 (wu) - "insulting" - as grandchild rebelling against grandmother (fire completely vaporizes water)

Let's hear what the western science has to say about fatigue. Fatigue was caused by the hypoxia in the muscle cells for producing the biochemical energy ATP. The glucose from the food was converted into lactic acid or lactate which cause the muscle pains and fatigue. Based on this fact about the lack of oxygen, I practice chi kung to breathe more oxygen into my body. Ever since then, I've feel very energetic and never feel fatigue again. Even after some hard work in the yard, muscles do not stiffen up like it used to be. At the time I am fatigue was due to lack of the source of energy which food. It is better not to do any more exercise until the body is recuperated and returned to the normal condition. Otherwise, one will introduce further burden to deplete the energy in the body which will cause more body exhaustion.

There are 2 main interactions:

1. 生 (sheng) - "generative" precursor - as mother nurturing child (water feeds wood)

2. 剋 (ke) - "controlling" checking - as grandmother supervising grandchild (water douses fire)

2.a. 乘 (cheng) - over-controlling - as grandmother over-controlling grandchild (water extinguishes fire)

And also a complete reversal of 2:

3) 侮 (wu) - "insulting" - as grandchild rebelling against grandmother (fire completely vaporizes water)

Okay, based on what was being said, it should apply to all the Five Elements. If one fails, then it will be contradictory to all the other.

Let's say, Water douses Fire and Fire vaporizes Water. What about the interactions between the Wood and Metal...???

Metal chops the Wood, then, what are the insulting sequences for the Wood to Metal and Water to Earth.....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Okay, based on what was being said, it should apply to all the Five Elements. If one fails, then it will be contradictory to all the other.

Let's say, Water douses Fire and Fire vaporizes Water. What about the interactions between the Wood and Metal...???

Metal chops the Wood, then, what are the insulting sequences for the Wood to Metal and Water to Earth.....???

Well yes, I think the insulting cycle is much rarer...as it is more of an unusual upstream battle where an "underdog" must overpower its more natural master. Which would only happen under a severe imbalance.

If the enemy is too strong, the controlling element itself becomes controlled in a reverse manner. When wood is too strong and its controlling metal axe is too blunt, the axe cannot cut the wood and may even break as a result of the rebound force if an attempt is made to chop it. This illustrates reverse restriction because the wood is able to restrict metal, which is not usually the case.

I mean, wood does wear down metal slightly - otherwise axes and knives wouldn't need to be sharpened. So, in the case of hardwood vs a dull, rusty axe of a weak alloy...the wood could conceivably overpower the metal..

Insulting cycle: Earth insults Wood (a devastating earthquake), Water insults Earth (over-flooding destroys land), Wood insults Metal (over-forestation robs the earth of minerals), Metal insults Fire (weapons of war destroy production), Fire insults Water (excessive heat dries up river beds).

• Like 1

Okay, I think I understand what these sayings are all about. It was just an extra step of saying something in a different way. Here is my understand of interpret the Five Element Chart. For example, the Water feeds Wood by the Green arrow, in the diagram, only has one direction. What that indicates is that Water will feed what it has to the Wood until water runs out. I think the insulting sequence says, in another way, by stating that the Wood was sucking all the water out of Water. Since Water is active and Wood is passive, I think the proper way of saying should be "the Water was ran out and has no more to provide for the Wood" instead of blaming that "the Wood was sucking up all the Water".

What do you think.....???