effilang

Daoist Alchemy: Jerry A. Johnson

Yea.. because of this I don't put much stock in what he says. It seems plagerized, without sourcing or deep knowledge in that area and a huuuuge mix of stuff.

Because of that I wonder if he has any depth in any particular direction, or just a huge amulgation of stuff, that may not be congruent in any way.

John

In the publishing houses in China, certainly around qigong and TCM, most of the authors simply copy materials from each other. They don't really recognise 'plagerism' as such, and tend to just grab and edit things. Of course, it means if someone publishes something that is incorrect, well, it can end up in plenty of other books before anyone notices, and even if they notice I doubt much happens. I can't recall all the details but a friend of mine worked for one for years and used to describe all the stupid things that go on. I also remember Ken Cohen's frustrations with the translation of one authorised hospital text into English.

They do produce quite a lot of books though :D

I admire Johnson for all that he has achieved and done. He held himself and his school of medical qigong upto the highest standards as found in the Chinese University hospital system. Sought and gained acknowledgement by them, no mean feat. Apparently one hospital wanted to adopt his original medical qigong textbook and began translating it into Chinese, but gave up :blink:

But any model has its positives and negatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSckmrkH8d8

I think this video is worth watching to better understanding the nature of the descriptions versus the reality of some of his methods (since his descriptions can be academic and dry).

"it happens naturally. You're just now consciously creating the energy." 1.04

It also shows his sense of humour :D

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 6

I have personally found that group JAJ et al. to know their stuff more than just intellectually, and to a good depth. When I started training with one of his disciples, I threw the most difficult indoor secret sort of questions pertaining to the realm of magic at him. I had about 200 such questions (hey I've been at it quite awhile and had very good teachers, so I knew what to ask). He was able to answer all of them but 2 to my liking. With those two I'm not sure if he didn't know or wasn't saying lol. I'm really sort of skeptical having met many folks who teach magic who are full of crap, no lineage, haven't really practiced everyday for their lifetime or whatever. I was satisfied enough with his replies that I continued the training :).

With martial arts/qigong, I was shown the same stuff and more that I had learned from the traditional folks I had trained with. I'm newer to martial arts though. But I was taught enough of the important principals and some advanced principals that I was happy.

I also liked his medical qigong books in the fact that they put into words many things which I have experienced over the years but no one explained (I think perhaps the chinese folks he learned from just describe more with words than westerners).

Now whether his books are useful for folks newer to such things though, I have no concept of. I'm sure I could have successfully gotten myself into quite a bit of trouble with his library had I gotten my hands on them 25 years ago heheheh. I've grown wiser enough that I only conduct small experiments with the material I know nothing about ;). My small experiments solely from the books have worked quite well though.

On the topic of his humor in vidoes, the Houston Cancer Seminar vids had me busting up laughing! Here I am watching this serious video about how to heal tumors and well... they were far from boring! Good info covered too.

As far as listing sources goes, he just sort of mentions the book/person much of it comes from as he talks about it. In his Medical Qigong books he has an extensive bibliography in the back of each one (I just checked to make sure).

• Like 4

I think perhaps the chinese folks he learned from just describe more with words than westerners.

That sounds a bit backward to me :o. But then some Chinese just never shut up!

Now whether his books are useful for folks newer to such things though, I have no concept of.

I was told by my friends that studied his medical qigong, that since they were desgined to support that study, it would be a bit much and more than someone just into qigong would need.

I was lucky and a local second hand store had his original textbook on the cheap, I don't think they realised that at the time it was selling for nearly $1000 online! :blink:

On the topic of his humor in vidoes, the Houston Cancer Seminar vids had me busting up laughing! Here I am watching this serious video about how to heal tumors and well... they were far from boring! Good info covered too.

It is good to have a teacher who can bring levity to such topics without simply falling into farce. A teacher with humour is always a good thing!

In his Medical Qigong books he has an extensive bibliography in the back of each one

Yeah, they do. However he does not actually give credit to nor list certain resources he takes from in the bibliographies of those texts. Not even the expanded re-prints.

The Hunyuan neigong is a good example.

Best,

I have his essence of ima v 1 and 2 as well as the TCM book

I will dare say with a true foundation one could enhance internal alchemy period. The TCM book was worth the price for me for the liver tonification and Dao Yin.

Edited by spiraltao
  • Like 4

That sounds a bit backward to me :o. But then some Chinese just never shut up!

I was told by my friends that studied his medical qigong, that since they were desgined to support that study, it would be a bit much and more than someone just into qigong would need.

I was lucky and a local second hand store had his original textbook on the cheap, I don't think they realised that at the time it was selling for nearly $1000 online! :blink:

It is good to have a teacher who can bring levity to such topics without simply falling into farce. A teacher with humour is always a good thing!

Yeah, they do. However he does not actually give credit to nor list certain resources he takes from in the bibliographies of those texts. Not even the expanded re-prints.

The Hunyuan neigong is a good example.

Best,

Now I'm curious, do you happen to know other resources for Hunyuan Neigong? ;) Or maybe you just mean he didn't list his sources.

Having......a.......difficult.....time......reading.....more......than.....a.....few.......pages..........at........a.......time.....! lol So much info, so dense with material, and the layered meanings of things..... Have to meditate and contemplate on certain sections. Seems to get even more so the further into the book.

Could just be me though. I don't recall this same difficulty with his medical qigong books or magic books, though it is the same writing style. I'm getting a lot out of it though.

This could be why there are less reviews for it than people saying they received it.... lol.

Now I'm curious, do you happen to know other resources for Hunyuan Neigong? ;) Or maybe you just mean he didn't list his sources.

Probably Feng Zhiqiang, i remember seeing a picture of JAJ with him on the site.

• Like 1

I have his essence of ima v 1 and 2 as well as the TCM book

I will dare say with a true foundation one could enhance internal alchemy period. The TCM book was worth the price for me for the liver tonification and Dao Yin.

After Neigong, I ordered his CMQ 1 & 2 too. I thought they are small books, but I was wrong. When I came to the post office..., what is this?... lol!!! One carton box was there... So... now I have JAJ small encyclopaedia... 3x 600 pages... ;)

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

And that's just the one's that are still in print. His original Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy book (published in 2000) was the first book about medical qigong I've read and I dare say it is still the single most extensive technical document on the subject. I haven't read his newer series of books but I suspect they are just an expanded, in depth version of the original.

Also, his Essence of Internal Martial arts v 1 and 2 are really nice resources for anyone who practices internal arts. Lots of good physical training methods shown in volume 1 and volume 2 goes more into the internal alchemy aspects of training.

• Like 1

Yeah, in some of his other books the exact same passages appear again, and again, and again. Each time you think maybe it'll be different or more indepth info, but no, just copied from before :(

I think this book is a very comprehensive book, and covers a lot of things while helping putting them in perspective. But.....

Yeah sorry, there is a but.. Did anyone else notice just how many different sources, ie unrelated martial arts and Daoist sects are drawn from? It's like a game of spot the ............"pai" :o:D Someone say pie!? :blink:

I'm not a fan that he writes things like, "Ancient Daoists say...." Instead of actually stating the origin of the quotes, sayings or statements. I just find it annoying, but I'm like that.

Well, I noticed one of his books had "Initiation Into Hermetics" by Franz Bardon in the sources. Which is fine, I think IIH is a GREAT book... but I don't know how much of it is Taoist. Not to say that certain principles might be the same from tradition to tradition. And not to say that two systems aiming to analyze and use universal principles aren't going to come up with similar concepts....

But I recall reading a certain section that sounded an awfully lot like energetic accumulations from IIH that were just re-labeled with five elements. He was also talking about certain ways to do certain "magical" techniques (clairvoyance, invisibility, etc) and was pretty much using Bardon's stuff (western elements as well).

So...

I can sympathize with feelings of unease about the vast array of traditions he pulls from. He seems to have studied everything he could get his hands on. On the other hand, I've read several of his books and, regardless of the source material, they are very fascinating. I won't be rushing off to beg for discipleship, but the man has earned my respect.

His resume is more than impressive--it is unbelievable. So I can understand skepticism, but I think he's the real deal. Just look at his shiny hat! ;)http://daoistmagic.com/prof-johnsons/

That, to me, called into question his other stuff. I don't know enough about TCM and all of that to say one thing or another. It's possible that he studied legit TCM stuff, and legit magic from a Taoist tradition, but only published publicly Bardon's IIH, or that the stuff he learned from legit Taoists was the same as Bardon's IIH. It's possible. And he's putting it in the source because that is going to be more accessible for others to look at than his Chinese lineage. It's possible.

Too many leaps for my liking.

• Like 1

Thanks.

And that's just the one's that are still in print. His original Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy book (published in 2000) was the first book about medical qigong I've read and I dare say it is still the single most extensive technical document on the subject. I haven't read his newer series of books but I suspect they are just an expanded, in depth version of the original.

Also, his Essence of Internal Martial arts v 1 and 2 are really nice resources for anyone who practices internal arts. Lots of good physical training methods shown in volume 1 and volume 2 goes more into the internal alchemy aspects of training.

the internal martial arts book is full of practise too?

In the medical qigong books there are "medical qigong prescriptions", the exercises from pg 682 in the original hardback are Master Feng Zhiqiang's Hunyuan neigong. They are NOT medical qigong prescription exercises from a clinic or hospital. Although JAJ mentions training in Hunyuan in his CV on his site, there is no reference or credit for the source of information. And the line drawings are actually tracings of Master Feng from his VCD.

Some of the lines drawings from the first exercise, re-appear within the waigong-neigong book, though they are used to illustrate a similar exercise rather than the actual Hunyuan one.

It just always surprised me that JAJ never gave the credit.

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 3

Just to add to snowmonki's reply, Chen Zhonghua has 2 DVDs (and/or streaming videos) on it, available here, and there are also Youtube videos of GM Feng performing the set. They both also have books on it. I'm about 2/3 into a 100 day gong and I'm really liking it.

• Like 2

Found this neat vid, didn't want to start a new thread for it though

Must say, it was very interesting (along with everything he said) to hear such an experienced and accomplished Daoist priest say that he is "a Christian, Daoist, Buddhist" (31m30sec). Nice to have someone like Jerry Alan Johnson in the syncretist camp.

(if you want to respond, please just "like" the comment so we don't derail this discussion, thanks)

• Like 1

The key to this interview, I would pay close attention to the saying about breathing at 6:00. Other than that, I wish his sitting position was more presentable.

Edited by ChiDragon

If Dr Johnson understood the very nature of the Dao, he would not be a Christian, a Bhuddhist. nor would he have Jesus in his heart.

He'd be a Monkey King Apprentice wouldn't he?

• Like 3

If Dr Johnson understood the very nature of the Dao, he would not be a Christian, a Bhuddhist. nor would he have Jesus in his heart.

I'm sure he's doing just fine. He's not scared of who he really is, unlike some of the other people on here :)

He'd be a Monkey King Apprentice wouldn't he?

No he would have the Dao in his heart and nothing else: 'Dao Xin'. He would also know that there are fundamental differences between Daoism and other religious beliefs.

Jesus who you have a passion for, could be just a myth like the rest of the Bible, there is no evidence that he existed let alone did any of the things he is attributed to have done. Your belief is based on what? Chinese whispers with prejudice against women; the whole history of Christian missionaries is of abuse of others cultures and beliefs....in the name of Jesus of course.

I don't think I need to go into vast quantities of evidence to prove my point.

Seen any Daoist go into other countries rape and pillage those peoples, force them to go to church or starve, be imprisoned or murdered etc.etc........short answer, NO

Keep your Jesus rubbish to yourself and don't take the mickey out of a genuine spiritual master.

• Like 2