effilang

Daoist Alchemy: Jerry A. Johnson

I have been saying for the longest time now that JAJ is amazing and his material is always chock full of the good stuff.

I learned a bunch of qigong techniques off of his medical qigong dvd's and they clearly explained a lot of advanced stuff that I've seen one of my teachers do (but were not explained yet to me).

The proof is in the pudding.

• Like 2

If I understood you right, you are a student of this school. If yes, would you like to share your experience, curriculum, etc...? :)

I train with John DeAnzo, so yes I am :).

I have personally found the training to cover much more than most other teachers/schools. Also they add the magic/mysticism stuff into the martial, which appeals to me personally. There has to be fighty martial arts for me to be interested, but also a system which goes deep enough.

I have found that the training most definitely works for me health wise, as well as energy and channel flow wise. They definitely have the medical qigong and martial arts combo down well.

They also focus on the internal alchemy aspect quite a bit, which also includes getting rid of your past crap. I've spent 20 years working through past crap, but this system seems to dredge it up more deeply and quickly. Which is very good once you have worked through it. They also give tools how to work through it, which seems rare. I have found that Bagua in general brings stuff up with all the twisting, turning and energies involved, yet most Bagua systems don't seem to include the tools and knowledge to work through each bit affectively.

This aspect tends to scare some folks off, but is worth it if you can stick it out.

The few exercises that people have mentioned that are in the new book which I have been practicing for about 6 months are pretty amazing, and work well.

Personally I'd buy it before buying 10 other books at $20 each.

PS, more info on Dr. John De Anzo's Neigong workshop here: http://thetaobums.com/topic/2336-upcoming-events/?p=441597 ;)

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 2

I've heard of Soul Retrieval in a shamanic context, but there is a daoist one? What is it like?

From my experience of both, it is a bit different. From the little I know of the shamanic version you (or usually someone else for you) will go out collecting the lost bits of your soul/energy body. In the JAJ/chinese medical qigong/Neigong version of such things you go into your past, past memories, past self and work through it. This brings the bits of yourself back.

I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but I hope that makes sense. I actually cured something once with that technique, and didn't realize it until talking about it a year later. Pretty awesome stuff.

• Like 1

You can't do the Immortality stuff until you have the very strong foundation according to this book.

The foundation work i assume you would call Qigong and it is necessary.

At a guess (not having read the book) it would be along the lines of clearing out the channels, qigong, and most importantly getting rid of any stagnant, blocked, or toxic energy/thoughts/emotions from your body. There are a LOT of exercises for that ;). Actually many of the exercises which may seem rather innocent help with clearing yourself out as a useful side benefit.

• Like 1

Are these practices for self-soul-retrevial or retreiving the soul of a pateint? What prerequisites are there to perform them?

It is something you do yourself.

The soul retrieval part in all of his books tends to be later on. It is in the very last of the medical qigong DVDs from what I remember.

Interesting, I rely could need some memories and emotions awakened.

Any and all exercises and meditations that Dr. Johnson gives do that. And I mean ALL! lol Just each in different ways and different areas/aspects.

• Like 1

From my experience of both, it is a bit different. From the little I know of the shamanic version you (or usually someone else for you) will go out collecting the lost bits of your soul/energy body. In the JAJ/chinese medical qigong/Neigong version of such things you go into your past, past memories, past self and work through it. This brings the bits of yourself back.

I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but I hope that makes sense. I actually cured something once with that technique, and didn't realize it until talking about it a year later. Pretty awesome stuff.

It remembers me of Carlos castaneda´s recapitulation... Am I right?

So, since it's all the rage around here, is there anything about filling the dantian? :D

• Like 1

So, since it's all the rage around here, is there anything about filling the dantian? :D

What I have read till now, it is described in respiratory techniques, and then there is a chapter about all three dantiens in detail... Furthermore Draving / gathering external enrgy from the earth, planets, sun, moon, stars in to the tan tien...

Overall a lot of stuff on filing dan tiens, troghout complete book... ;)

Edited by Jox

I'm just starting to read the book this morning. A senior brother recommended it otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it, already so much to learn. So far, I've only open the book randomly to places, several times: *wow*! :D

• Like 4

You can only read so much of that book in a day before you brain just goes - FUCK YOU!

It's not that the information is too difficult to understand. It's that there is just so much.

Edited by effilang
  • Like 5

I wonder if Jerry Alan Johnson's avoid writer's block magic is in one of his books? ;). 600 pages is common for him LOL.

I'm slowly making my way through the book. About 1/3 of it is covered in other books. It is offered in a different context here though. You would have to own ALL of his other material to have already read that 1/3rd though.

There are definitely exercises one can do from reading this book. The first book was more about principals and theory, and I thought I would have to use previous experience and logic to make the book practical... but then he gets into the how to after a bit. So don't get discouraged during the first 100 pages are so.

This is my fave book by him so far, as it covers a wider range of material than any other book he has put out.

I'm halfway through now, will provide an update when done :).

• Like 5

You can only read so much of that book in a day before you brain just goes - FUCK YOU!

It's not that the information is too difficult to understand. It's that there is just so much.

I just got a PM wondering how I read so many books! I said I sat in full lotus all day and read one scholarly book a day. I just flexed my pineal gland to transmit out of my brain all the lower emotional blockages and so then the mind can continue to stay focused, taking in more information....

I did that for 10 years. Don't do it anymore. But yeah the book Taoist Yoga -- I didn't read it well enough at first and then didn't return to it till 10 years later! Why? Too intense.

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus
  • Like 3

I wonder if Jerry Alan Johnson's avoid writer's block magic is in one of his books? ;). 600 pages is common for him LOL.

It's called ghost writers and editors ;):D

It is how most of the qigong guys produce their books. His main one for the medical qigong books was Gideon Enz.

• Like 4

It's called ghost writers and editors ;):D

It is how most of the qigong guys produce their books. His main one for the medical qigong books was Gideon Enz.

Also, copy/paste.

• Like 1

Also, copy/paste.

Yeah, in some of his other books the exact same passages appear again, and again, and again. Each time you think maybe it'll be different or more indepth info, but no, just copied from before :(

I think this book is a very comprehensive book, and covers a lot of things while helping putting them in perspective. But.....

Yeah sorry, there is a but.. Did anyone else notice just how many different sources, ie unrelated martial arts and Daoist sects are drawn from? It's like a game of spot the ............"pai" :o:D Someone say pie!? :blink:

I'm not a fan that he writes things like, "Ancient Daoists say...." Instead of actually stating the origin of the quotes, sayings or statements. I just find it annoying, but I'm like that.

• Like 3

It's a manual and as such it is designed to be clear even if one read in a non-linear way.

For example, I skip the boring parts and go directly to the things I'm interested in.

• Like 1

It's a manual and as such it is designed to be clear even if one read in a non-linear way.

For example, I skip the boring parts and go directly to the things I'm interested in.

So do I... ;)

i was browsing this thread

and regarding the money thing

i think real masters dont really charge money but they make you pay in some other way (and those other ways actually make you better)

for example in ancient india (i think situation is almost same even today if the teacher is real)

they will make you cook food, clear the place, bring some wood from forest, massage their feet etc......

in this century they can make you bring grocery items, clear their house etc.....

in some cases if you are a prince they will certainly make your father pay lots of money lol

but they ask for money only if you are capable of giving

just send a message to JAJ that you dont have enough money, i am sure he will not reply lol or if he does reply he will have some excuse

but its not a bad thing, its his will to give information for free or not

anyway JAJ's stuff is good but ...........repetitive, not really practical because you always feel something is missing and it feels like you need a teacher to do all this stuff

his books are like you have put all the information at one place but not really practical

Edited by nine tailed fox
  • Like 1

anyway JAJ's stuff is good but ...........repetitive, not really practical because you always feel something is missing and it feels like you need a teacher to do all this stuff

his books are like you have put all the information at one place but not really practical

It would certainly be difficult for someone starting from scratch to take this book and begin to work through it. I very much consider this to be a book for the seasoned practitioner for whom it will be of encyclopaedic value.

• Like 1

Yeah, in some of his other books the exact same passages appear again, and again, and again. Each time you think maybe it'll be different or more indepth info, but no, just copied from before :(

I think this book is a very comprehensive book, and covers a lot of things while helping putting them in perspective. But.....

Yeah sorry, there is a but.. Did anyone else notice just how many different sources, ie unrelated martial arts and Daoist sects are drawn from? It's like a game of spot the ............"pai" :o:D Someone say pie!? :blink:

I'm not a fan that he writes things like, "Ancient Daoists say...." Instead of actually stating the origin of the quotes, sayings or statements. I just find it annoying, but I'm like that.

Yea.. because of this I don't put much stock in what he says. It seems plagerized, without sourcing or deep knowledge in that area and a huuuuge mix of stuff.

Because of that I wonder if he has any depth in any particular direction, or just a huge amulgation of stuff, that may not be congruent in any way.

John

• Like 1

Yea.. because of this I don't put much stock in what he says. It seems plagerized, without sourcing or deep knowledge in that area and a huuuuge mix of stuff.

Because of that I wonder if he has any depth in any particular direction, or just a huge amulgation of stuff, that may not be congruent in any way.

John

I can sympathize with feelings of unease about the vast array of traditions he pulls from. He seems to have studied everything he could get his hands on. On the other hand, I've read several of his books and, regardless of the source material, they are very fascinating. I won't be rushing off to beg for discipleship, but the man has earned my respect.

His resume is more than impressive--it is unbelievable. So I can understand skepticism, but I think he's the real deal. Just look at his shiny hat! ;)http://daoistmagic.com/prof-johnsons/

• Like 1