effilang

Daoist Alchemy: Jerry A. Johnson

I think we can all agree that where corrupting influences become involved, the potential is greater for one to divert from the correct path. That's not to say that one cannot forge his will sufficiently enough to walk that correct path no matter what - nor does it not say its simply easier in some regard to stay away from those influences altogether.

This is a personal choice - both your arguments are valid, both are good to consider when one decides which path he takes. There will be resultant sets of choices one is presented with either way.

Edited by joeblast
  • Like 3

Mhm...

But is avoiding, overcoming? Is it triumphing? Is it besting? Is it putting your character to the test? Is it the trial by fire that we need to fortify and refine our good virtue?

One cannot attain wisdom by avoiding resistance and challenge, or your achievements will be an illusion of the self.

You can land on the peak of a high mountain with a helicopter, but you will be of no use in helping those climbing barefoot to reach the top.

Would this not be a selfish achievement to brag about?

Edited by effilang

one may also walk through a whorehouse without being tempted, but what would that accomplish? :lol:

if the mountain is high enough, you'll pass out if you get lifted from low enough...then again, if the mountain is high enough, not enough air for the heli to even rise :D

its all in what you want to cultivate - sometimes there's too much relative "noise" and one may seek a quiet place to cultivate - is that avoiding, or is that focusing one's efforts?

always a trade-off :)

• Like 1

Understanding duality makes the perspective of everyone's argument as amusing as your very own, and equally as right or wrong.

Thank you for the mental gymnastics fellow bums.

We learn through our experiences.

Edited by effilang
  • Like 1

Until you have produced a 300 page book of equal or greater quality, for free, I don't think you have any room to state that the author is charging too much.

Personally I'd rather spend $200 than learn chinese, travel to china many times, live there for a bit, that the author has. In this particular case I'm happy to have him do the legwork for me.

Well or I can wait until it hits my local public library, then borrow it for free.

On a side note I have written books, and it takes months, if not years, and mine most definitely are not free ;).

I just wanted to bump this

• Like 3

Uggh.. Was looking at my tracking details today. Hopefully tomorrow.

*LE SIGH!

I think Ish has his.

I've never heard of JAJ before this thread.

Based the on reactions here, I'm pretty stoked to get into his stuff.

Did you watch the interview a few pages back? Very interesting stuff.

• Like 1

I've never heard of JAJ before this thread.

Based the on reactions here, I'm pretty stoked to get into his stuff.

IMHO, he is the top western scholar in the field. And by western, I mean white dude.

If you're interested in Chi Kung or Tai Chi, you should start with his videos.

Chi Kung Healing Workout

and

Tai Chi Empowering Workout

I think they are great resources for beginners or seasoned students.

Uggh.. Was looking at my tracking details today. Hopefully tomorrow.

*LE SIGH!

I think Ish has his.

Could someone with the book let me know how it is bound? I'm curious if I would be able to unbind and scan it easily. I don't plan to distribute electronic copies, but I like to have the electronic resource for myself. It's the only way I can get away with reading it at work. :ph34r:

• Like 2

"reading it at work"

nice work when you can get it :D

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

Did you watch the interview a few pages back? Very interesting stuff.

Just listened to the interview and wow... he's really doesn't hide anything.

Poor Karagan, found himself glammed a few times while listening..... haha.

Right up my alley. I'll check out his work soon.

Thanks.

"reading it at work"

nice work when you can get it :D

and you can get it if you try ;)

I'm still working on his other books though. In no hurry to buy this one. I'm banking he won't run out of prints any time soon.

Just listened to the interview and wow... he's really doesn't hide anything.

Poor Karagan, found himself glammed a few times while listening..... haha.

Right up my alley. I'll check out his work soon.

Thanks.

Did you catch the bit about the cloud bottom shoes? I think that's my favorite.

In case you missed it, he basically gives a tai chi instructor crap for wearing sneakers. JAJ is wearing cotton-bottom shoes. The instructor says, "Oh, you're one of those." The instructor mockingly congratulates JAJ for wearing cloud-bottom shoes and thereby being energetically more connected to the earth. He then proceeds to expain that, if he really wants to get the pure chi, he has to move out of his house with plumbing and electricity and into to the woods where he will chop wood and carry water. Otherwise all his cloud-bottom-shoe-wearing fundamentalism isn't worth much.

So he bought some sneakers. :D

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 2

and you can get it if you try ;)

I'm still working on his other books though. In no hurry to buy this one. I'm banking he won't run out of prints any time soon.

Did you catch the bit about the cloud bottom shoes? I think that's my favorite.

In case you missed it, he basically gives a tai chi instructor crap for wearing sneakers. JAJ is wearing cotton-bottom shoes. The instructor says, "Oh, you're one of those." The instructor mockingly congratulates JAJ for wearing cloud-bottom shoes and thereby being energetically more connected to the earth. He then proceeds to expain that, if he really wants to get the pure chi, he has to move out of his house with plumbing and electricity and into to the woods where he will chop wood and carry water. Otherwise all his cloud-bottom-shoe-wearing fundamentalism isn't worth much.

So he bought some sneakers. :D

Ha, I loved that!

I witnessed a similar sparring match in person, teacher chastising student for having improper footwear that blocked his flow. When the student lifted his foot to look at his shoes, we all discovered (including the guy wearing the shoes) a 1/4" hole right on the Yong Chuan point, where the rubber had been worn out or blown away over time. He had an identical hole in the other shoe.

I guess the Qi finds a way.

But yea, the interview was so packed with great stuff, I'll have to go over it again a couple times to get more depth.

I like the way he presents his knowledge, he's a very clear communicator of some complex ideas.

I really loved his story of arriving in China in search of the answer to why the tumors he dissolved were coming back. The flower analogy the director there gave him was just so spot on. The way he describes his experience and shares his knowledge is just so concise and clear. His description of the five interactive states of cells; heat, light, sound, magnetism and electricity, offering a myriad of avenues to communicate healing to cells was great. Sometimes surgery is useful, but it is just one, and often not the most beneficial, especially in the easier to dissolve tumors like breast and ovarian.

I read a book about about 15 years ago, wish I could remember what it was, about the developing field of treating conditions with sound and light therapy. Fascinating stuff.

• Like 2

Just ordered. My thought is when a good book on qigong / neigong comes out on the market, buy it. Several times I told myself to wait and buy later, then the book either went out of print or became in short supply and *really* expensive. JAJ is one of the very best and so I'm grabbing this book. Can't wait to get it in the mail.

• Like 2

Don't forget the longmen pai sect released a text of their practices as well for like $28.00, I believe that it is a great buy as well.

• Like 3