effilang

Daoist Alchemy: Jerry A. Johnson

Considering the amount of time he put in translating, the time that went into editing, the time that went into publishing, and, the very small number of orders he will get, $200 is probably too low to average into a reasonable hourly wage.

The more I've interacted with powerful cultivators and occultists, the more I've come to understand that the Great Work will bar cheapskates to enter the Path.

Mandrake

What are you waiting for? Send him your money!

Just remember the Dao is free, so is access to it.

Hi flowinghands.

teach us something for free about thunder magic.

Hi flowinghands.

teach us something for free about thunder magic.

Ok, there are variations, but this comes from Wu Lei Xian Shi. It is only accessible by a wu, for here lies its power (see thread about Tien Da Xian Fa). First of all the wu will invite each thunder deity to him/her, the deity will write a talisman on a finger. When all the fingers have their deities written this writing in red remains for a day, then can be washed off.

The wu can now recite a command while pressing each finger tip in sequence. Once the wu knows that the thunder deity of each finger has been summoned, he/she will then take the blessed jian (sword) and draw a talisman in the air and on the ground to give the command to make the thunder deities do their bidding.

The five thunder magic has been used many times by the Mao Shan masters to do battle in one way or another, or to do healing etc. etc.

Edited by flowing hands

Can you please list the thunder Deities and their seals? Or a link to a free source listing them? I think they are in one of JAJ's books, but I'm hoping for an internet, or right in this thread source.

• Like 1

Can you please list the thunder Deities and their seals? Or a link to a free source listing them? I think they are in one of JAJ's books, but I'm hoping for an internet, or right in this thread source.

To summon the deities, you should be introduced to them by an active daoist priest or shaman.

Otherwise, they probably will not manifest any interest.

• Like 1

Still waiting for mine

Anyone in the UK get theirs yet?

I got another email reply from JAJ. He said it is written wholy as a practical manual on alchemy, including purification practices etc.

He also said at the end of the book he tells you what to do after you've become an immortal.

Heh. :)

Some of you here are saying it's not worth the money, but that's because you haven't read any of his books.

The depth of information he has on subjects is literally out of this world. I wouldn't be surprised if he can contact immortals for instructions and information.

While most other books just skim the top of things and others actually explain some things, if you compare similar subjects from another author with the same from Dr. Johnson, the difference is like that between the detail seen through a magnifying glass and an electron microscope.

Edited by effilang
  • Like 3

It took a bit of time to get to the UK. Couple of weeks i think.

But yeah it is worth it.

• Like 2

Dao may be free, but so what? Tell that to random person on the street and see how it helps.

The Pill isn't free, immortality isn't free, yang shen isn't free; these are things that help; Dao is there whether I'm an ordinary schmuck or not.

The classic Daoist canon and tradition upholds supporting other cultivators and cultivation teachings; this includes treating scriptures with respect, preserving them etc.

Mandrake

• Like 1

The Tao is like a maze with 10,000 false paths and only one true path.

Sure, you can enter for free, but that does not guarantee the most expedient arrival at the goal.

In case you haven't realised, we humans tend to be short on time...

When you are born into a life lucky enough to have the wisdom to achieve the path, you must be humble of this gift and practice both swiftly And diligently.

To roll around the center of your palm your consciousness of the Tao, as if playing with dirt, is a disservice to this blessing as well as to yourself, and is a looking down on this privilege of LIFETIMES, born of arrogance and ignorance.

All those who understand what I have written here, have a genuine love for the path and truly understand the significance of our awareness to it in this life.

The Tao is like a maze with 10,000 false paths and only one true path.

This looks like a monotheism in cultivation which maybe could be an inaccurate description of the reality of things.

Rather, I've heard daoist masters saying that the Dao has many gates.

• Like 3

The book looks super awesome. How far along is JAJ? Has anyone seen him demo? Or is he someone who talks a lot but has no juice?

It sounds like the beginning practices in this new book may be similar to some beginining practices described in previous books. For example, from Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy, pages 323-324:

1. In the first stage, the anus is contracted with slight muscle control, and the energy is directed into different energy centers along the Microcosmic Orbit. When first beginning, inhale and expand the abdomen while imagining that the anus is connected to the navel and is pulling up towards it. On the exhalation, contract the abdomen and draw the energy from the navel back down towards the anus. Next, inhale and create a connection between the anus and the Mingmen. On the exhalation, draw the energy from the Mingmen back down towards the anus. It is important to synchronize the drawing up of the anus towards the navel and Mingrnen area with the expansion and contraction of inhalation and exhalation. This will facilitate a sacral-cranial rhythm throughout the body.
  2. In the next stage of training, the constriction of the anus is used to lead the energy up the Governing Vessel in the Microcosmic Orbit. Upon inhalation, draw the mind's intention from the navel towards the anus and then down to the tip of the spine (the coccyx), allowing the Qi to flow up the spinal column towards the Mingmen, past the Shendao to the base of the skull. Upon exhalation, roll the eyes back into the head and use the intention to meet the energy at the base of the skull. Next, lead the energy over the Baihui at the top of the head and down the Conception Vessel and back down to the naval.
  3. At the third stage, imagine twisting the energy of the anal sphincter, spiraling the Qi up the center of the body, to connect with the Baihui area at the top of the head. Close the anal muscle gently, inhale and imagine the energy vibrating and spiraling in a counterclockwise direction up the body's TaijiPole. This connects the Lower, Middle, and Upper Dantians through the TaijiPole. Upon exhalation, lead the vibrating Qi down the TaijiPole in a clockwise spiral ending within the Lower Dantian area. Continue this meditation until the entire body pulses with the rhythm of the Taiji Pole.
Edited by Green Tiger

Master Nan, Huai-chin says that while some recommend holding the breath actually the exhale is more important since holding it can cause too much tension.

austin had good correlation in zen & the brain,

"breathing out was quieting the brain" from clinical data - 'prolonged expiration inhibits not only many of the single inspiratory nerve cells in the medulla which are influenced by inspiration, but other nerve cells there as well,' equating to the cascade of neural firings resultant from stimulation of the cranial nerves;

plus

a footnote of measured decrease in skin resistance as a meditator's breath was suspended - so when one gets to a stage of the skin breathing more efficiently, the electrical resistance actually decreases as well.

• Like 3

This looks like a monotheism in cultivation which maybe could be an inaccurate description of the reality of things.

Rather, I've heard daoist masters saying that the Dao has many gates.

You've misunderstood my intention because i did not convey it accurately.

My meaning is that there are endless ways in which to walk the true path once on it, but 10,000 false paths surround it.

You can attain profound insight through cutting grass with a hand scissors all day. This much I know.

Any task with a combination of right mind and right intention will successfully tie up the sixth consciousness to allow insight.

• Like 3

Dao may be free, but so what? Tell that to random person on the street and see how it helps.

The Pill isn't free, immortality isn't free, yang shen isn't free; these are things that help; Dao is there whether I'm an ordinary schmuck or not.

The classic Daoist canon and tradition upholds supporting other cultivators and cultivation teachings; this includes treating scriptures with respect, preserving them etc.

Mandrake

A genuine teacher will give you and teach you for free. Only those who have an interest in the ego and gaining material gain from those teachings will charge you.

A good teacher will test and retest you to see whether his/hers teachings are making a difference to you and I'm not just talking about technique I'm talking about the 'self'.

The Dao is free to all life, it is the self that limits understanding and practice.

• Like 1

The Tao is like a maze with 10,000 false paths and only one true path. Sure, you can enter for free, but that does not guarantee the most expedient arrival at the goal. In case you haven't realised, we humans tend to be short on time... When you are born into a life lucky enough to have the wisdom to achieve the path, you must be humble of this gift and practice both swiftly And diligently. To roll around the center of your palm your consciousness of the Tao, as if playing with dirt, is a disservice to this blessing as well as to yourself, and is a looking down on this privilege of LIFETIMES, born of arrogance and ignorance. All those who understand what I have written here, have a genuine love for the path and truly understand the significance of our awareness to it in this life.

Not quite sure whether this is addressed to me or not?

A good and experienced teacher will make you pay in more ways than one, but also, a teacher, whether good or bad in his methods of practice, cannot teach effectively on an empty stomach.

You are being too soft in the view of survival.

One must live in order to teach, and living requires food among many other things in a modern society, where you are already financially in debt before you are born.

There is no shame or dishonor in charging for a service. If hugs were the currency of money, teachers would be giving out hugs instead, so long as a hug could buy food, shelter, warmth and clothing.

It seems that you simply have a strong personal conceptualisation of money. Money is empty, but it is a simple necessity. Volitional intent is paramount in qualifying the duality of our experience.

It is all dhukka. There is no right or wrong way to do a thing. A thing is done and that is simply it. It is our state of mind that is seeing through good or bad eyes.

So long as nobody is hurt or mistreated or taken advantage of and the intention of the action is inherently good, even if it then leads to someone or things suffering, it is still a virtuous action.

Edited by effilang
  • Like 2

A good and experienced teacher will make you pay in more ways than one, but also, a teacher, whether good or bad in his methods of practice, cannot teach effectively on an empty stomach.

You are being too soft in the view of survival.

One must live in order to teach, and living requires food among many other things in a modern society, where you are already financially in debt before you are born.

There is no shame or dishonor in charging for a service. If hugs were the currency of money, teachers would be giving out hugs instead, so long as a hug could buy food, shelter, warmth and clothing.

It seems that you simply have a strong personal conceptualisation of money. Money is empty, but it is a simple necessity. Volitional intent is paramount in qualifying the duality of our experience.

It is all dhukka. There is no right or wrong way to do a thing. A thing is done and that is simply it. It is our state of mind that is seeing through good or bad eyes.

So long as nobody is hurt or mistreated or taken advantage of and the intention of the action is inherently good, even if it then leads to someone or things suffering, it is still a virtuous action.

Very much the new age concept, where having material wealth and living in luxury is the aim of spiritual practice. Trouble is with this idea, people are not good and are very weak, money becomes the focus, not the teaching. In my time I have met many people like this, is better to do a job to sustain life and to partition off ones spiritual and other practices where not a hint of corruption can touch it, least not money. The DDJ talks about this and is a basic concept of Daoism. Need I quote many verses?

• Like 2

Very much the new age concept, where having material wealth and living in luxury is the aim of spiritual practice. Trouble is with this idea, people are not good and are very weak, money becomes the focus, not the teaching. In my time I have met many people like this, is better to do a job to sustain life and to partition off ones spiritual and other practices where not a hint of corruption can touch it, least not money. The DDJ talks about this and is a basic concept of Daoism. Need I quote many verses?

You are missing the moon for the finger. The intent of your will is what defines the nature of the action.

New age? Yes, about several thousand years old.

There is a note able unction in the way we perceive what we imagine to be a good teacher. My notion of a righteous leader is of one who genuinely wants to help. The currency of this exchange can be in any form that they deem is of their need. Thus a teacher, as I said my charge you in money or in hugs, or in food, or in a new pair of shoes, or require of you to make a monetary donation to a foundation of their choosing.

You have an incorrect concept of money. Money is a means of payment. A payment sprung from the motivation for gratitude, thanks and compassion.

A student whom has a poor teacher, will naturally out of the good of his heart buy them food, clothes and shelter. These are simple necessities.

The difference with conventional transactions is that nowadays there is plenty more in consideration of financial obligations than money, food and clothes. There is taxes, responsibilities towards parents and others in financial need whom are your care and numerous other reasons that make up ones private life.

It is out of respect and courtesy that it is better to pay one directly so that they themselves can delegate the acquisition of their money.

As to teachers in general, whether you pay them or it is for free, they can both still be false teachers, regardless of whether anything has been exchanged as a form of currency. This here once again highlights your misconceptualisations of money as a form or repayment.

The foundational notion that we need money to survive by buying food and basic necessities is so crystal clear and evident in the world as a basic requirement, that one begins to wonder how it is at all that your are still arguing against it.

Most interesting indeed.

Please tell me more of this. I find your thought patterns most fascinating.

You are missing the moon for the finger. The intent of your will is what defines the nature of the action. New age? Yes, about several thousand years old. There is a note able unction in the way we perceive what we imagine to be a good teacher. My notion of a righteous leader is of one who genuinely wants to help. The currency of this exchange can be in any form that they deem is of their need. Thus a teacher, as I said my charge you in money or in hugs, or in food, or in a new pair of shoes, or require of you to make a monetary donation to a foundation of their choosing. You have an incorrect concept of money. Money is a means of payment. A payment sprung from the motivation for gratitude, thanks and compassion. A student whom has a poor teacher, will naturally out of the good of his heart buy them food, clothes and shelter. These are simple necessities. The difference with conventional transactions is that nowadays there is plenty more in consideration of financial obligations than money, food and clothes. There is taxes, responsibilities towards parents and others in financial need whom are your care and numerous other reasons that make up ones private life. It is out of respect and courtesy that it is better to pay one directly so that they themselves can delegate the acquisition of their money. As to teachers in general, whether you pay them or it is for free, they can both still be false teachers, regardless of whether anything has been exchanged as a form of currency. This here once again highlights your misconceptualisations of money as a form or repayment. The foundational notion that we need money to survive by buying food and basic necessities is so crystal clear and evident in the world as a basic requirement, that one begins to wonder how it is at all that your are still arguing against it. Most interesting indeed. Please tell me more of this. I find your thought patterns most fascinating.

You miss my point, there is no need to sell your practices if you are are sustaining your life by other means, it's that simple.

When one is involved with teaching of others (I have done this for many years), one's reasons for doing this must be completely philanthropic, otherwise elements of corruption can so easily creep in. As you say its difficult to find a good teacher to start off with, add to the pot, ego, money etc. and there is a temptation to go down a wrong path. Do a job of work that gets in money to sustain life as it is today and keep the rest on a higher level. By doing this at least as a student one knows that the teacher is not just going through the hoops for an income and is genuine.

Until you have produced a 300 page book of equal or greater quality, for free, I don't think you have any room to state that the author is charging too much.

Personally I'd rather spend $200 than learn chinese, travel to china many times, live there for a bit, that the author has. In this particular case I'm happy to have him do the legwork for me.

Well or I can wait until it hits my local public library, then borrow it for free.

On a side note I have written books, and it takes months, if not years, and mine most definitely are not free ;).

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 7

Interesting. But why do you define the Need for money by the teachers current living conditions?

By your argument then, it is immoral for a teacher to charge his students in order to save money to feed the poor and hungry or to build a bigger school. One with which to accommodate more students.

Is this so?

Can you not think u of any other good causes and people's sufferings that could benefit from the proceeds of the students funds? Is it that hard for you to see?

It is man and his intention that makes money evil, not money that makes man evil. Money is inanimate and empty.

You have the notion that money, which is simply printed paper is inherently evil and greed inducing by its very nature.

Although, what it seems you have not seen, is that nothing has nature or quality until we endow it with such after perceiving it through the consciousness of our respective senses.

The very same negative virtues which would make you commit immoral acts at the amassment of money are the very same that will produce evil in you again, should you acquire any matter to which power has been bestowed. This is not exclusive to money, it is general to the impressionable nature of human character.

This once again illustrates that it is intention that matters most. For by intention we create that which we are and do.

Edited by effilang