Sign in to follow this  
fpck

Hello_again rene!

Thanks for answering my last post/topic,rene

Actually I can start topics in the Lobby section (the only place where I can do that), but can't even reply to them, hence this new topic to have a bit of conversation with you. :)

I can wait indefinitely. Frankly said, I lived 40 years without TTB, so I can go on as long I am given the gift of Life. But, between you and me, this system is a little weird.

Best wishes

Viator - just so I understand (before trying to help a newcomer again) each person, upon joining has to make 10 posts here in the Lobby first?

I understand trying to keep out spammers... but this requirement would be so easy to meet by either saying hi to ten (other people) or by doing this....

• Like 1

you get the drift.

Or.... maybe they'll just start topics out here, which is also fine. (-: I guess.

warm regards

IDon't see the benefit of making folks chat about saying hello, or why renes objection should be met with a "lets wait and see" or "we will consider some mitigating alternatives" since the logic is undeniable. Is the point of it to exclude less talkative types?Does this site thrive by limiting participation? Or inviting it. The decision isn't mine to make, but it begs the question,Really ???

Edited by Stosh

Only reason I can see is that it might stop some of the aggressive spam bots that have been active lately. Still probably snags more honest would be members then bots.

10 seems like too many.

Edited by thelerner

I am just suspicious that the idea I saw elsewhere it to create an inner sanctum from wich some will beexcluded and others included. I must admit that I have no Iidea whether spam bots are having any affect on things , it doesn't seem to be the. Case though. The other definition of spamming is about folks looking to be disruptive or for attentions that members don't want to entertain. Repeatedly posting to gain entry would inherently be spamming.

At another site it was so difficult to get in that the place was empty. The folks still there seemed to be rattling back and forth over nothing since there was nothing to talk about. Everyone was already locke in to their opinions and there wasn't anybody learning from the more involved members.

Does taobums wish to recreate that failure by excluding new blood to cater to those who don't feel like they are on firm enough foundation to respond. Some long standing members leave new ones need to take their place develop their practice , and in their turn ..move on.

That's tao , not protectionism and elitism

Edited by Stosh

Only reason I can see is that it might stop some of the aggressive spam bots that have been active lately. Still probably snags more honest would be members then bots.

10 seems like too many.

Agree; maybe 5 would be better? Bees around here bang against the screen 3 times before giving up and buzzin off...

Not sure how many attempts bots make - but if it's more than 5 then 10 wont slow them down.

I rarely make 10 posts in my own threads. LOL

Thanks Rene and others for your concern.

I am not sure the requirement of 10 posts in the Lobby before being able to post elsewhere will help this forum. I didn't see anything like that in fora like Dharmawheel and they don't seem to suffer from spammers. It will perhaps discourage spammers but it may also discourage people like me. The Lobby doesn't seem to be a place where lively discussions occur. I can of course make ten posts with "Hi welcome here", but what's the point?

Once bitten twice shy, as we say.

Edited by fpck

True, ten seems to have been more prohibitive than we had hoped or intended. This has been pushed down to five. Five posts of introductory conversation should not been too burdensome I hope. :)

thanks Viator!

I understand and welcome your attempts though. Those little shit bot bees swarmed my Profile for 2 hrs last night. LOL and I see there are 3 online now trying to get in. Maybe the initial 'sign-up' process - back at the Validating stage - could be reworked? One that would require them to make an actual coherent post before they even get into the Lobby? It would mean more work for you honchos... but they could be swatted before they even got in this far.

Thanks for your efforts, most appreciated.

warm regards

Edited by rene

Hello rene,

Thanks for insisting. This my 5th post. It is dedicated to you and your friendly welcome. :)

Have a nice day !

you too, fpck, and welcome in. (-:

hey Viator! those dam bots are swarming me again (look at the Recent Visitors on my profile).

got any bug spray? LOL

A minor bug with a recent settings change. You should be able to make replies in the Lobby area now, instead of having to make new posts each time. After 10 posts here you should be able to post in other areas of TTB.

Welcome. :)

sicne when was it 10?! i thought you only needed teh intro-thread in the lobby and you were good?

When i first joined as stonershadowwolf, and when i later asked to be unbanned and started this "new" account, i never had to post more than one thread saying "hi" in the lobby and i was good everywhere but the pit (which i had to intentionally ask permission for access) and PPJ, which i also had to request my own.

But that was that. simple, straightforeward, and no strings attached.

WHO ADDED STRINGS?!?

ten isnt bad, i just didnt know of the changes or when they occurred :P

Frankly, 5 might well not be enough... but in the long run, 1,000 wouldnt matter, if a bot is programmed well enough to emulate people for the prerequisite-posts... That bot wont be easy to detect until it reveals its motives.

HAW... bots are an extension of persons; whoever programmed them anyways...

Sign in to follow this