skydog

Vegetarians...what is your breakfast, lunch and dinner like?

I am looking for ideas..

Mine is usually some fruit, some soup at lunch, often some kind of healthy proteinish meal like veggie burgers, broccoli and cheese, keffir, avacados, tomatoes, garlic with nachos, tea with ginseng and ginger and usually 4-5 glasses of water as soon as I wake up.

I also notice most things bought in shops are full of rubbish, and chemicals, often even the ones with the sneaky marketing (eg they purposely show their ingredients in another language) when the rest of the packaging is in english.) So I would rather make my own meals.

• Like 3

I'm not a full time vegetarian more sporadic, but lots of good things to eat. Baked sweet potatoes are easy and healthy, some supermarkets have sald bars and sometimes I fill my containers with different veggies and make salads all week for lunch- not too good by end of week if put it all in one container initially, also my salads often don't have lettuce in them. Soups and casseroles with beans, rice and veggies generally freeze well if you like to make your own meals, pasta can get soggy and weird if you freeze it, quinoa should freeze ok but haven't tried it. You can blenderize your fruit and kefir to make smoothies, lots of smoothie recipes online. Oatmeal and toast with pesto and cheddar cheese- those are my vegetarian comfort foods- and more soup.

• Like 1

Wake up green tea

Brunch 2pm or there about: Blended green salad topped with avocado, watercress and tomato, fruit salad with whatever is in season topped with blended nuts and fruit + ground flax and black sesame seeds.

Small bowel of oatmeal with a few raisins

Blended green salad consists of celery, green pepper, dandelion, cucumber, romaine lettuce.

Forgot the oatmeal in original post

Edited by mYTHmAKER
  • Like 1

i like your menu mYTHmAKER ! do you eat just once a day ?

sinan you can also make some beans or lentil dips for protein . soak overnight , just boil them , change water 2 times while boiling them to get rid of toxins (old grangrandma way of cooking those in my family ) fry some spices on the oil like cumin , ginger , turmeric , add salt and blend everything into a paste , garnish with herbs if you want and bon apetit .

good with raw carrots , celery , cucmber .

chickpeas are meant to be best - easiest for humans to break down and very nourishing .

• Like 1

As a teenager I decided to go vegetarian but I found out meals were just really depressing because I didn't enjoy half of what I ate, it was all either bland and crude or watery and unsubstantial, like biting into cucumbers as main meal was just so sad for some reason... or it was all bitterly cardboard-ish, like those awful brown diet bread with carrot peels in them. I admire you vegetarian people, it takes guts to eat tofu y'know. godspeed ya mad rabbits.

But anyways I'm watching this thead in hopes I can replace meats entirely with veggies for two maybe three days a week without ending up eating pasta. Just no more rice or eggplants, im sick of both.

Edited by Samurai Mountain man
  • Like 1

i like your menu mYTHmAKER ! do you eat just once a day ?

two meals - second one is usually anywhere for 6 - 7:30 depending on my schedule

Dinner usually consists of a large green salad and waterless cooked vegies and beans.

Sometimes plantain or yam.

A small piece of chocolate lately

I usually get hungry before bed - about 12:30 - 1 so I eat a small piece of fruit to take the edge off.

• Like 2

In the morning, oatmeal, yogurt and fruit. If I'm in a real rush, a Nutella, Peanut or Almond butter and banana sandwich.

For lunch, often a sandwich (some favourites ingredients cheese, avocado, hummus, tzatziki, sprouts, greens), pasta (sometimes home-made Italian style, sometimes rice noodles in a cold salad or stir fry type thing), or the previous evening's leftovers.

For dinner, all sorts of things. I love middle-eastern style mezze platters, rice or bulgur pilaf, Indian curries and dhals, various vegetable dumplings and fritters (also Indian style), cabbage rolls and perogies (my slavic background showing there), and I love trying various new things too. I mostly enjoy traditional vegetarian dishes from cultures with a religious vegetarian tradition (Indian, Sri Lankan, Chinese, Russian, Greek, Ethiopian, Egyptian, etc...)

Being a vegetarian is pretty easy, there's a ton of variety in the vegetable world. :P

• Like 1

im not. but if i were.

Breakfast:

Almond/hemp milk in my hemp granola.

Snaks in between like melons, fruit, and berries.

Lunch:

TREE NUT PASTA!!! oat flour should make an interesting noodle... right? im clueless, and making it up as i go cuz im that awesome.

The nuts could be used with beans to make a decent "filler" with the noodles... or im full of it (yeah, im full of it)

Snaks can be vegetables like cucumbers and celery, carrots and the like.

Dinner might be interesting. mostly veggies, i think? or... im not sure... soup.

• Like 1

I live in SF Bay Area so vegan / vegetarian is everywhere.

I like all the tofu "meats" sold at Trader Joes and use them most of the week, also the organic fruits and vegetables - frozen or not.

For snacks I like TJs all natural no preservatives no sugar dried Mango - very chewy and very good - not to sweet.

The Vanilla Tofu Ice Cream by TJs is superb and excellent with their organic wild berries.

I make burritos with sliced mint - definitely try the sliced mint - (i use a scissors to cut it up fine) and then a bunch other things frequently including peanut sauce and various hot sauce. You can also break up peanuts and add them.

the fake mayonaise at Tjs is very good - I waited a long time to give it a try and kick myself for waiting so long - great with Artichokes, Potatoes etc.

Dried Cherries - amazing

For Breakfast I often have Orange Juice with the Hemp protien and Green Power powders sold at TJs - two heaping teaspoons stirred.

Their green juice in a jug is also good.

Costco has great prices on Carrot juice and other juices - I prefer fresh but..........

Lot of new organics at Costco - and I like the fact that both Costco and Trader Joes take good care of their employees!

• Like 3

breakfast - cow

lunch - chicken

dinner - pig

I froze quinoa today and it worked great.

For real though, breakfast - egg on salad topped with olive oil and hemp seeds

snack on nuts and fruit all day

dinner - sauteed greens with herbs and spices, and brown rice or quinoa.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing will consider all these ideas

Just had breakfast- Consisted of warm water sipping

Oatmeal mixed with linseed, and apple cider vinegar and bits of bannas, yogurt coated almonds

Thanks for sharing will consider all these ideas

Just had breakfast- Consisted of warm water sipping

Oatmeal mixed with linseed, and apple cider vinegar and bits of bannas, yogurt coated almonds

sounds awful LOL

I was going to just drink kombucha until afternoon today, but I ate a zinc pill and had to eat some bread quickly to avoid throwing up. Still nauseated... :(

well , i noticed that everyone is having very intersting and creative lunch today .

sinan is having banans and vinegar , judo is having sunflower seeds and coffee and oildrops kombucha and zinc with a bit of bread .

anyone else ??? :D

hope you get better soon oildrops .

Edited by suninmyeyes

+1 on sweet potatoes as per Zanshin's suggestion - i find this veg amazing.

Samurai Mountain Man - i recommend looking towards some asian cuisine we have some really nice vegeterian food. A load of variety with Indian sabjis/sabzis and of course simple and delicious oriental stir frys. I love asian herbs and spices they can basically make any kind of mix veg dish.

• Like 2

yam fries but don't fry -bake em

plantain - wait till they go black and soft - slice on angle 1/2 inch or so thick - bake em

Today dinner consists of home-made pasta, roasted red pepper sauce, fresh grated Grana Padano cheese, a Greek salad on the side, washed down with a local Apricot-flavoured heffeweizen beer...

Apricot heffeweizen? That sounds fascinating, although I can't decide whether it sounds tasty or not. :P

I need to find meals that take less than five minutes to prepare but are still healthy. That seems to be hard to do.

Yesterday: sunflower seeds and rooibos for breakfast. Oatmeal porridge, cucumber for lunch. Wholegrain rice in salsa sauce with beans and "stuff" for dinner. Organic banana, cheese and carrots later.

Today: sunflower seeds and green tea for breakfast. Buckwheat porridge with homemade plum jam for lunch. Drinking cherry nectar today between everything. Probably going to eat avocados and beet potato vermicelli noodles with some sauce later on.

• Like 1

5 minutes is not much. Can you take a big chunk of a day to do freezer cooking or twice a month, otherwise maybe lots of salads and smoothies and prepared foods.

Had homemade Stromboli with red bell peppers, arugula, fresh oregano, mozzarella and black olives with the last of marinara from the freezer from last years home tomatoes.

• Like 1

As a teenager I decided to go vegetarian but I found out meals were just really depressing because I didn't enjoy half of what I ate, it was all either bland and crude or watery and unsubstantial, like biting into cucumbers as main meal was just so sad for some reason... or it was all bitterly cardboard-ish, like those awful brown diet bread with carrot peels in them. I admire you vegetarian people, it takes guts to eat tofu y'know. godspeed ya mad rabbits.

I know what you mean. When I went full veg for the first time as a teen my food was terrible, I was mainly eating highly processed spinach crepes and veggieburgers that tasted like salt and rice. I probably wouldn't have kept it up if I didn't have reasons. Well technically I'm not a vegetarian now, closer to pescetarian. If I stop getting a crapload of fresh fish for free every month or so I will probably go full veg once again.

But anyways I'm watching this thead in hopes I can replace meats entirely with veggies for two maybe three days a week without ending up eating pasta. Just no more rice or eggplants, im sick of both.

Gotta agree with you on the eggplants. Would only eat those if someone hid them in a salad or something. ;)