Sign in to follow this  
mantis

does he shou wu work?

i'm 22 and got a few greys already, does it really work for this purpose or do i prepare for salt and pepper :(

Good news, yes it does. Bad news.. if your 22 and already getting greys you most likely will need to take it as a regular thing.

i don't have a problem with that. is there any specific brand or form of ingestion you recommend?

i don't have a problem with that. is there any specific brand or form of ingestion you recommend?

Well in TCM formulas are usually prescribed as opposed to single herbs, as a formula works in a synergistic way for greater effect. So what you would probably want is Shou Wu Pian which is a formula for this and thus more effective. A pretty good company I often refer patients to is active herb due to their reasonable prices, and high quality (no I don't own stock in this company lol).

In TCM their are usually 3 main ways to take herbs.

1. Patent formulas in pill or tablet form. This way is the most convenient but the weakest potency. With that being said I usually take my herbs in this form and have good results. http://www.activeherb.com/shouwu/

2. Granule form is in the middle as far as both potency and convenience go. Its kind of like instant coffee and does not really taste all that great. Here is a link to the single herb if your interested in that, though I'd rather take a patent formula as opposed to a single herb granule, but here it is. http://www.activeherb.com/shouwu/

3. Raw herbs are the most effective and least convenient way. For this you'd probably need to go to a TCM practitioner and get them. They taste horrible, but you definitely get quick results.

Edited by dmattwads
  • Like 2

Of course it can help trans-resveratrol in he shou wu is the same antioxidant found in red wine, of course let's not be reductionists since there are so many components to he shou wu....that being said peroxidation bleaching as a result of high-oxidative stress has been identified as the leading cause of loss of hair pigmentation..so it makes sense he shou wu having strong anti-oxidant and nutritive capacities could reduce and even reverse the issue. Know your body and the dose, some have experienced liver complications from consuming he shou wu....another one you can try Bhringraj or eclipta alba ja mayuet in myanmar....a wonderful way to enhance both hair growth and regrowth and prevent greying...ligustrum berry is traditionally combined with eclipta in TCM as a prevention for greying..factor in that B-vitamins play a powerful role in reducing oxidative stress, and particularly fat soluable b1 benfotiamine,b2 b3, b5 b6, in short B complex would be a good idea, they are also essential cofactors for enzymatic reactions throughout bodily cells and tissues...and last but not least, biotin.

Also know your source, unfortunately many of the herbs grown in china are grown in highly contaminated polluted soil....make sure to get it organically grown in non-polluted regions.

Edited by Xienkula1
  • Like 3

i've gone ahead and ordered some he shou wu from ken. i've heard good things about him here and it's organic which is a plus, i know some things from china are grown under rather "suspicious" conditions.

Sign in to follow this