CrunchyChocolate555

Upper abdominal area in spasm, prevents me from breathing.

Thanks for sharing! Aleve is an anti-inflammatory med though

Disclaimer: I am not giving medical advice, just adding a true story that might be similar to yours..

A few times I had severe spasms when I was really young which, at their worst, severely restricted my ability to breathe.. The first time was the worst and I could not pinpoint the trigger.. I also had a history of a few instances when the wind was knocked out of me..

On the third time it got really bad, I called a doctor who was not in the office at the time.. When he returned my call, he told me to take two Aleves which = one prescription dose muscle relaxant.. Same active ingredient.. Naprosyn/Naproxen I think it was.. whichever is the generic.

It did the trick, it relaxed the inner smooth muscle contraction and I could breath fully once again.. the problem never occurred again and I never had to take the medication again for it. Perhaps knowing I could rely on an OTC med for it was enough.

Interesting.. a search confirms what your saying but also a lot of ambiguity and confusion arounds its use as a muscle relaxer.. perhaps docs were prescribing it for that a few years back as part of a study.. or maybe it was OK'd as a go-to placebo for certain acute pain conditions..

I know my mom was prescribed Naproxen 500 as a muscle relaxant back then... perhaps it was just an ethical use of the placebo effect.