Marblehead

Watching The Birds

This morning I walked the dogs in Beaver Creek State Park - it's the last time I'll take that hike, I'm moving to California in a few days.  As I was standing near Loch 22 and gazing up at the trees, the vines, the fertility of the whole place and knowing it was the last time I'll see that beauty, a graceful great blue heron flew right in front of me over the stream - our eyes met.  It made me cry, as I am right now.  The great blue heron is my totem animal.  

• Like 3

This chicken has been hanging around lake Apopka, He seems to be settled in. 6-24-18 (11) sm .jpg

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Looks like a "he" rooster?  Probably has claimed the territory and waiting for the girls to arrive.

He is truly a beauty!  The girls will be swarming him in no time.

Here I am in the California desert.  Finally moved.  There is a roadrunner that runs across my back patio, knowing full well that it's driving my dogs crazy on the other side of the glass doors.  Big guy.  I understand they can be a bit nasty too.  Meep meep.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Looks like a "he" rooster?  Probably has claimed the territory and waiting for the girls to arrive.

I would assume its a rooster .  He moved into a small pad I guess, a corner under some trees , there aren't many prospects around except for swamp 'hens'. He looks like he can take care of himself ,sort of  cocky. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marblehead said:

Yeah, roadrunners are so sure of themselves they are rarely observed in the air.  No fear!

Yes, just watching him fly the short distance from the top of a fence to the ground, he looks as though he's on a mission.  One deadly serious bird....

(Maybe he's ill-tempered because of that damn coyote)

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, Stosh said:

This chicken has been hanging around lake Apopka, He seems to be settled in. 6-24-18 (11) sm .jpg

You captured his cockiness beautifully.  Great photo, Stosh.  You must've been feeling a little cocky yourself to get within eyeball-scratching distance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, manitou said:

(Maybe he's ill-tempered because of that damn coyote)

Yeah, the coyote never gives him any slack.  Good thing the roadrunner is smarter than the coyote.

I saw a documentary where a roadrunner too on a rattlesnake.  Roadrunner knew exactly what it needed to do and in the end had a very good lunch.

10 minutes ago, manitou said:

You captured his cockiness beautifully.  Great photo, Stosh.  You must've been feeling a little cocky yourself to get within eyeball-scratching distance.

Thanks, I like that pic too , I don't know enough to be concerned about the behavior of them. Domestic animals confuse me. I pretty much have a good feel for wild ones , they make sense.. 

I should explain,, Umm out a Paynes prairie , they have wild spanish horses , ( and bison) and you can just walk out around in the space they reside , a grassy marshy prairie, ,walking a path ,  I came up on a stallion with some mares , he got a bit jumpy neighed etc, so I just stood there. Some folks came up behind me a few minutes later , so I asked them what the right way to act was. They said they just walk past to one side. I turned back to look at the stallion which swung his ears at me , and put his head down to eat . I read this clear as a bell , " I see you , you're fine , go on by" , so I just walked on past , right next to him in fact. If he wanted to , he could've kicked me into oblivion , but he didn't even pick up his head. ... Long story made shorter,, those other folks never did get past him :) 

Considering back on it as I went onward , I waited , had some respect ,I didn't push on by as others might, and this was enough. It made sense , he communicated , I was able to read it , and we could get along. 

• Like 3

Paynes prairie - I never did get there, although I was only maybe 50 miles south in Ocala.  I understand they have mounds of gators lurking around too - different trails for different phenomena, I guess.  My neighbor said she'd never seen so many gators in one place.  I think the word she used was 'teeming'.

1 hour ago, manitou said:

Paynes prairie - I never did get there, although I was only maybe 50 miles south in Ocala.  I understand they have mounds of gators lurking around too - different trails for different phenomena, I guess.  My neighbor said she'd never seen so many gators in one place.  I think the word she used was 'teeming'.

Oh yeah, teeming is a good word , there's a trail where you can see a hundred basking on a nice day. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, Stosh said:

Oh yeah, teeming is a good word , there's a trail where you can see a hundred basking on a nice day. 

Speaking of which, is that a gator's eye on your avatar, or an oyster on the half shell, lol.  I've not been able to figure it out, hard as I try.

• Like 2

Its a florida snapping turtle, Ill try to insert a larger file.. 

59a47c509d1ab__QQQ2871-1small.jpg.35cb741dacbbdf2d26fbe7b00797b03b.jpg

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You're not going to believe this, but I just went to the optometrist the other day and am awaiting glasses as we speak.

• Like 1

5b3a13daf1f22__QQQ3186-1sm.jpg.9b1a21c0e05bb31f0c4c91a835f2d121.jpgsince this is a bird thread , here is a barn swallow on my car mirror , they were interested in it , I think they want to warm up from the wind ,after flying around ,on the 'hot' car ,  even though its hot out???

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 3

A lot of love birds flying about on the cloudy, muggy, monsoon morning. The are just too fast and skittish for me to get a good shot of them.

• Like 1

So I now live in a place on a golf course with a beautiful pond and fountain in the middle.  There is this gorgeous swan that swims around and is there daily.

I just discovered this morning the swan is wooden.

What a gyp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, manitou said:

I just discovered this morning the swan is wooden.

Brought to my mind:

Spoiler

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Brought to my mind:

Reveal hidden contents

That was one cool song, Marbles.  I'm surprised there haven't been many, many remakes of it.  As to the duck, the only reason I knew it was wood was because I noticed a big crack on its head.  Classy place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, manitou said:

I noticed a big crack on its head. 

Don't expect me to respond to that.

• Haha 1