Marblehead

Watching The Birds

two of these in my front garden, so beautiful and rare to see them.

and for this region very colorful  :P

can anybody tell me their name in english? I cannot find anything but goldfinch, which is, to my knowledge, a different bird.

YK1A2591Akpd_zps7ad061e3.jpg

• Like 4

Where I'm at we have a lot of the usual suspects for Northern New England (USA).  A pair of Morning Doves, a mated pair of Ducks that visit in the early morning for the cracked corn I put out.  A pair of Cardinals...I love the female's dull green and red coloring!  Robins, jays, chickadees, crows, grackles, house sparrows, etc.  There's a Bluebird hanging out recently.  I've seen redwing blackbirds, ospreys, seagulls, and other pond and ocean birds (live near both).  A bright yellow bird that goes by so fast I can't tell what it is!

I've been trying to pay more attention this Spring because my daughter is really into birds.  This morning I saw a Northern (Common) Flicker for the first time.  What a great looking fellow/a!  I'm looking forward to its hopeful return, and whomever else visits....Not my picture, but the Flicker looked just like this:

38091676.NorthernFlickerFem.jpg

Edited by 9thousandthings
  • Like 4

two of these in my front garden, so beautiful and rare to see them.

and for this region very colorful  :P

can anybody tell me their name in english? I cannot find anything but goldfinch, which is, to my knowledge, a different bird.

YK1A2591Akpd_zps7ad061e3.jpg

Male European goldfinch ,, we have American Lesser and Lawrence's which show more yellow.
  • Like 4

@9thousandthings

A bright yellow bird that goes by so fast I can't tell what it is!

being that there are ospreys etc good thing a bright yellow bird is that fast!

ya'll have eagles and ravens, yes?

• Like 1

today a pair of bluetits lightened my day, gathering fluff for their nest. Sadly no nests in the garden this year, but they can find a safe haven under my rooftiles. During spring I always hear the small birds chirping when I'm in the attic

PimpelmeesNIKS_03569a_zpsc75bf1c4.jpg

• Like 2

today a pair of bluetits lightened my day, gathering fluff for their nest. Sadly no nests in the garden this year, but they can find a safe haven under my rooftiles. During spring I always hear the small birds chirping when I'm in the attic

I have been doing some serious re-designing of my gardens this year.  I have been thinking on putting out some bird houses for next year.  We'll see.

I have been doing some serious re-designing of my gardens this year.  I have been thinking on putting out some bird houses for next year.  We'll see.

any cats around?

@9thousandthings

A bright yellow bird that goes by so fast I can't tell what it is!

being that there are ospreys etc good thing a bright yellow bird is that fast!

ya'll have eagles and ravens, yes?

Ha, yes! There are eagles and ravens around for sure.  I haven't seen them around our neighborhood (yet), but they're in the area!  The Ospreys tend to stick to just over the pond, but sometimes will do a flyover our house.

This evening, just around dusk, my wife leapt out of the kitchen chair she was sitting in and yelled: "look! look! over there! what the hell was that!"  I didn't get there in time.  She said she was looking out into the back yard and saw what at first she thought was a seagull flying towards her, but then suddenly its head was huge, it was huge and it veered off out of sight.  A big owl.  Guessing since it was mostly white it was a Snowy Owl?  I wish I saw it, lucky girl :) 

• Like 2

any cats around?

Yes, and that is a problem.  But I try to keep the cats well-fed so they have less need to bother the birds.

• Like 2

You feed the cats???? :wacko: but then you attract them to your place

your own cats?

or those of the neighbors?

The nice lady next-door has a new young cat, the old one has gone to the eternal catnipfields.

The young one may be worse than the old one, so it's time to buy me a new waterpistol,

BES in action  :P

• Like 1

I caught our cat mid meow in a catnip educed high watching the pigeons terrorize the doves that hang out in my backyard.

post-113890-0-46026500-1462132202_thumb.jpg

He was a bird killing machine before I started getting him high :P

Edited by Kar3n
  • Like 3

You feed the cats???? :wacko: but then you attract them to your place

your own cats?

or those of the neighbors?

The nice lady next-door has a new young cat, the old one has gone to the eternal catnipfields.

The young one may be worse than the old one, so it's time to buy me a new waterpistol,

BES in action  :P

The cats are feral.  Not mine.  Better they eat food I put out than to go out back and kill and eat the frogs I have at the ponds.

Yeah, young cats have to test their skills.  Yep, a water pistol would dampen their friskiness.

• Like 1

I caught our cat mid meow in a catnip educed high watching the pigeons terrorize the doves that hang out in my backyard.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1462112032853.jpg

He was a bird killing machine before I started getting him high :P

nice picture!

I'll ask the owner of this small tiger to feed him better when the young uns are taking their first flight

• Like 1

The cats are feral.  Not mine.  Better they eat food I put out than to go out back and kill and eat the frogs I have at the ponds.

Yeah, young cats have to test their skills.  Yep, a water pistol would dampen their friskiness.

she was trying to catch a large bumble bee, so funny to look at.

My backgarden is mostly closed, she can enter through one hole between the gardens and under the gatedoor.

So i want her to learn that my garden is not the place to be, just a walkthrough, she still young so I'll have a chance, especially because I'm almost always at home.

• Like 1

It's amazing,to believe or not in this morning a bird outside woke me up for daily morning walk for me and my dog.

• Like 3

Sitting at my morning tea in sun,

I heard that otherworldly singsongsound that flying swans can make.

then two swans flew right over my backyard, pretty low, about 7 meters,

so beautiful!

like this one

vliegende-zwaan.jpg

• Like 3

post-113890-0-40416300-1462713602_thumb.jpg

I rescued a pigeon from my pool last night. Poor thing had been in there for hours, I believe. I saw the surface of the water moving yesterday morning near the skimmer basket, and thought nothing of it until I saw the pigeon flopping in the water near the skimmer later in the evening. I have really never liked pigeons, they tend to be pretty messy. This one can stay as long as it likes, it still hanging out in my backyard this morning.

Edited by Kar3n
  • Like 3