Marblehead

Watching The Birds

Cute.

Yeah, my physical dancing is limited as well but that doesn't stop me from embracing myself when I am listening to some old song from when I was a teenager. I even sometimes get up and dance with myself - I can go at my own speed that way, doesn't matter what the music is doing.

In my Dreamworld I can dance - minus the walking stick !!!

Imagination is an organ of the Soul.

I still have much fun and boy can I laugh...........

Namaste,

gentlewind

• Like 2

Yea!!!

My feeder is still down because the pigeons are still in the area. I haven't spent time looking anyhow as I have been busy at the pond area. I'll be getting back to watching the birds soon.

Well, I have tentatively identified the Hummer. My best guess is that it is a female Ruby-throated. Not totally sure as I have not yet seen a male Ruby.

• Like 1

Looks like the two sparrows like our 'garden'. Sweet. Now regulars !

Namaste,

gentlewind

• Like 2

Finally seeing the return of some hummingbirds to our place, it's been a while.

Mainly we get two mated pairs of finches, a slew of crows, the occasional red tail.

Pigeons and from time to time gulls.

The crows and finches will often park on the wires just outside our balcony and bitch at me if it's been too long since the last dinner bell. Love it.

• Like 2

Never been an expert on birds, apart from the obvious ones such as pigeons and blackbirds, and my favorite - sparrows ! But I do know we have our regulars, like the three wood pigeons who frequent our paved garden and nearby trees. They do make me smile, especially the one who comes up to the window and has a look in ! In the bushes of we have a blackbirds nest, and I recently had to encourage a magpie to fly off as he was attacking the nest. A periodic visitor is the robin, and I look forward to his return.

Of an evening its a joy listening to the birds singing. Such beautiful songs - and all for free.

Blessings to you All.

Namaste,

gentlewind

• Like 1

Northern Flickers in my backyard. The first image is 2 females fighting. The second photo shows the winner getting it on with the male. (oops, other way around)

post-108535-0-41766500-1373081402_thumb.jpg

post-108535-0-33481100-1373081413_thumb.jpg

Edited by rezonator
  • Like 1

when i finally made it back home,,,,,,,

a new tribe of birds had taken up residence,

catbirds. and i had never realized b4 what marvelous singers they are.

2 dozen catbirds serenading in the mornings is quite the symphony

I haven't been watching my birds much recently. Been busy with a couple projects.

Yeah, I wish my hearing was better so I could hear my birds more often. Of course, when I'm not working I could put my hearing aids in so I could hear them. My bad.

a blackbird flew into our window yesterday and escaped with only a headache. she's local as her nest is near by, and has been out and about today.

Namaste,

Lenny

a blackbird flew into our window yesterday and escaped with only a headache. she's local as her nest is near by, and has been out and about today.

Namaste,

Lenny

That'll teach her to try to get too up close and personal. Hehehe.

I will sometimes get birds flying into my work shop. And yeah, they always get a headache before deciding that they need to leave the same way they came in.

• Like 1

today I derived great enjoyment watching a wood pigeon eating from a bird feeder in next door's garden. we are visited regularly by three wood pigeons and they do have good appetites!

also seen a beautiful butterfly twice this week.

and! theirs more!

the sparrows are regulars too!

weather has been extremely hot here in the UK, and I'm a winter person, so I'm suffering dreadfully!

Namaste,

Lenny

• Like 1

today I derived great enjoyment watching a wood pigeon eating from a bird feeder in next door's garden. we are visited regularly by three wood pigeons and they do have good appetites!

and! theirs more!

the sparrows are regulars too!

weather has been extremely hot here in the UK, and I'm a winter person, so I'm suffering dreadfully!

Namaste,

Lenny

I know what you mean about the heat.

I loved the Winters in Minnesota and New York.

Living in the coastal desert has some good perks, but sacrificing Winter and Thunderstorms is a heavy price.

My wife is such a trooper. A few times I've packed up the camping gear and headed to Utah for a big storm system just to get a solid thunderstorm. 130 days of sun in a row makes me twitchy...

• Like 1

Speaking of the feeder, yesterday a regular visiting finch was chowing down and it is a real messy eater, scattering food all over the place. But that ended up being a good thing because two morning dove were on the ground under the feeder thinking, "Yea! Manna from Heaven." and chowing down on what the finch was tossing around.

I'm getting a pretty good show of butterflies this year. They did arrive late this year for some reason though. Still haven't seen my Florida State Butterfly this year yet though (black with yellow stripes).

I know what you mean about the heat.

I loved the Winters in Minnesota and New York.

Living in the coastal desert has some good perks, but sacrificing Winter and Thunderstorms is a heavy price.

My wife is such a trooper. A few times I've packed up the camping gear and headed to Utah for a big storm system just to get a solid thunderstorm. 130 days of sun in a row makes me twitchy...

I used to love visiting the desert West when I was younger. Had many good times out there.

I think the (early) birds are starting to move back northward now, Saw some stuff around this weekend which were out of town for breeding. Hawks ,a shrike , yellow throated warblers.

Edited by Stosh

Yeah, most, but not all, birds migrate with the seasons just like man did during its early evolution. There are a number of birds that were here in the Spring but are not here now, perhaps moved to cooler areas and they will return when it gets too cold for them.

This is why it is said that we should not leave the hummingbird feeders out after the first frost. If there is food available thay might stay and then freeze to death. They need to migrate south where it is warmer.

I almost forgot to mention this.

After I stopped working yesterday I was sitting in the recliner looking out the window at the flowers, birds and butterflies and I spotted an bird I had never seen in my garden before.

It was mostly brown with a white-blotched brest, the brown wing feathers faded into a yellowish color, had a rather long beak and fairly long legs. My guess is some type of marsh bird. I haven't looked to try to identify it yet.

So anyhow, earlier this afternoon I was sitting outside waiting for it to rain or for the time to feed the fish. It didn't rain. However, I did get two special treats.

For some reason the sparrows in the area massed on the electrical wires at my house. There were 26 of them just sitting pretty much all grouped together.

Then, a short time later I saw two hummingbirds at the trumpet flowers. First time seeing more than one at any one time this year as far as I can remember.