Marblehead

Watching The Birds

the crows that live 'round my house are rather large. nothing like the crows i see in the city

American crows are about twice as heavy as the fish crows you are likely to see.

Am ones tend to call CAWWW the fish crows tend to go CAH-AHHH

( but they make lots of noises )

Id imagine the ravens are even brighter ( as Jb suspects) but we dont have em down here unfortunately.

Throw stale bread all over the place. :)

I considered that but that would only bring on more pigeons and I wouldn't what any more as I already get too many.

I did see a hummer yesterday evening. It was fluttering around one of the daylilies. (Thats' a long distance from where I was sitting so I didn't get a good look at it.)

I think I need to get away from this material a while

No problem. I've been known to talk with myself. (Even then I still get into arguments.)

i often battle myself to a draw,,,,,at least i live to fight another day,,,,

check out this fella

just click the link inside the box, it works

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

Well, he sure worked hard. I hope he got his lady.

Thanks for sharing that.

Nothing new here to talk about. My Lantana is growing very well so I should have butterflies visiting soon.

I got a good look at the hummer yesterday. I forget its name but he was here last year. (Mostly brown with a green back.)

Be speculative with the stuff from UK , the species differ and there are lookalikes for some in Fla.

Location location location

Though stuff does fly around , the ranges are really well established ,

here in Fla we get maybe more than average numbers of one-off passers-through

but in going on three years of birding here, Ive only seen one that didnt 'belong'

where it was ( and I am looking for those )

as much as i have enjoyed the birds (and squirrels) on campus,,,,,,

when i returned home yesterday. it was a birdfest party, such singing and energy.

there was even glimpses of Tao peeking in all day.

the cardinals were flying thru the fron t porch even as me and 2 neighbors sat there

the squirrels were also not to be outdone and , there were several comments about the squirrel antics yesterday.

i didnt see any crow until i went to decorate some gravesites, 2 watched me tend to the sites

• Like 4

I've been busy today and there was no time for the birds. A couple times I had to go out the front door and the pigeons were there.

I need to figure out what birds live in the bushes outside the g-rage. Dark gray/black top, light/dark gray underbelly. This guy was giving a freakin DISSERTATION the other day out there - very complex language and it sounded like he was laughing after some comments, too. Outside of the laughs, I dont think any of it was redundant, it was pretty amazing.

Saw a woodpecker in the neighbours walnut tree the other day. Lots of birds here ... no idea what they are though LOL. We do have storks that nest on the top of telephone posts and make a strange rattling sound with their beaks. Also lovely white birds a bit like an ibis but with straight beaks which feed off the insects round the goats and sheep. Swallows also.

No swallows or storks here. I have seen more ibis this year for some reason. Some flocks of geese fly overhead going from one place to another but have never seen any taking a break in my area.

I have two male woodpeckers that are residents of this area (a big live oak tree across the street from me). They come over and get the sunflower seeds from the feed I put in the feeder and then fly up on top of one of the cross-beams of one of the trellis and cracks it open and eats the meat. It's neat watching him do his work.

I'm going to have to take a picture of that one bird I think is a Scarlet Rosefinch and post it. I was thinking that maybe it is a young male Cardinal but he is too different to be that.

No new birds lately. The Cowbirds (a mated pair) are still hanging around.

I forgot to mention that two day ago I saw the Blackbird again. It got a drink at the bird bath and then took a nice bath then flew off. I have never seen it at the feeder. He probably doesn't like the vegetarian diet I offer.

so i have been back on campus for a couple of days, yesterday the crows were up to mischief and alot of other birds were pissed. you had birds of various variety chasing a crow here and a crow there and in the meanwhile you had a couple of crows who were waiting hidden and ready to go into the now ungaurded location :ph34r:

my first day back on campus i was walking around and a thrush jumped into my shin, not sure why, then he flew a few feet away, maybe a bit embarrassed ? as we exchanged glances, he was kinda saying oops, sorry bout that. very gentle and tame birds on this campus. the robins and sparrows would probably almost let you touch them.....

but this morning i was drawn towards a cardinal that was singing more beautiful than any cardinal ever, sure there was that mockingbird the other day showing off his singing skilz, but this cardinal,and when he noticed i was focused on him, he flew away a few feet and then continued. how i wish i had a recorder at that moment. he was singing exquisitely and extraordinary. it was piercing in the most delightful manner. all the other birds were quite, most likely , like me, listening in awe

i am proud of my campus, obviously, altho, i wont be attending grad school here. i do have one more year to appreciate the beauty and the birds.

http://www.eku.edu/news/university-earns-tree-campus-usa-status

• Like 1

We got our tropical birds back in the forest.

My family gets pissed when I call it a forest. But the tropical birds prove my point.

The male Hooded Warbler is back from Cozumel where he winters.

Birds rock.

The cat killed a black and white warbler that flew up from either South America or Gulf States.

Domestic cats and feral cats are the number one reason for tropical song birds disappearing - going extinct.

I point this out to my family but they get mad about it. haha.

Last year we put a "bib" on the cat that prevents it from killing birds but the cat kept getting the bib off.

Yeah so Wood Thrush, etc.

I have not seen the vireos yet, nor confirmed the oven bird which lives on the ground - cat could have killed it as the cat was going hunting all night.

So I did persuade the family to keep the cat in at night but my sister goes out smoking and so not sure if she will keep the cat in. My mom has to talk to her about it - it's a big deal to get her to do something. haha.

We have used tuna to get the cat in at night but then the cat is very pissed after it's been tricked. haha.

So I heard the Rufus Sided Towhee - they stay in the back of the forest so the cat has not gotten them -- they live on the ground also.

Yeah so then there's the cow birds.....

fragmented forest means more predation of the song birds - the orioles are back but not sure -- I think they survived the cow birds last year.....

Hummingbird back but better redo the feeder as I have noticed it eating the sugar water -- I first made it too strong....

• Like 2

but this cardinal,and when he noticed i was focused on him, he flew away a few feet and then continued.

Yeah, I get lots of music in the morning. Rather nice, really.

Of the ones that visit my place the Greyjay is the dominant singer. The Morning Doves are nice to listen to but their song gets boring quickly. The jays have a number of different songs.

I saw the Cowbird pair today. The male had been gone for a while. (Can't recall ever hearing them say anything though.)

And then there is the Woodpecker. Ratta tat tat. You know.